Photoshop's "Merge to HDR" Function

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, Dec 17, 2005.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Annika1980, Dec 17, 2005

  2. Annika1980

    C Wright Guest

    On 12/16/05 10:03 PM, in article
    , "Annika1980"
    <> wrote:

    > Here's a test image I made today using the new "Merge to HDR" function
    > of Photoshop CS2.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/53626197

    I thought that you said you were having trouble with merge to HDR; this one
    worked!
    Chuck

    C Wright, Dec 17, 2005

  3. Annika1980

    RON Guest

    What is HDR function????

    RON, Dec 17, 2005
  4. Annika1980

    Mark² Guest

    RON wrote:
    > What is HDR function????

    Click his link...and then read the description under the image.

    Mark², Dec 17, 2005
  5. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    > http://www.pbase.com/image/53626197

    >I thought that you said you were having trouble with merge to HDR; this one
    >worked!
    >Chuck

    As I mentioned earlier, I'm still studying it. Jack Davis has a nice
    section on it in his latest Photoshop CS DVD-ROM. There are some
    tricks to using it that I can go over if you'd like.

    Annika1980, Dec 17, 2005
  6. Annika1980

    C Wright Guest

    On 12/17/05 9:02 AM, in article
    , "Annika1980"
    <> wrote:

    >> http://www.pbase.com/image/53626197

    >> I thought that you said you were having trouble with merge to HDR; this one
    >> worked!
    >> Chuck

    > As I mentioned earlier, I'm still studying it. Jack Davis has a nice
    > section on it in his latest Photoshop CS DVD-ROM. There are some
    > tricks to using it that I can go over if you'd like.

    Without asking you to go into too much detail if you have a tip, or two or
    three, that you found particularly helpful please let the group know. I
    certainly can't be the only one in this group with PS CS2 who could find a
    use for HDR.
    Chuck

    C Wright, Dec 17, 2005
  7. On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:44:48 GMT, C Wright
    <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote:

    >On 12/17/05 9:02 AM, in article
    >, "Annika1980"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/image/53626197

    >>> I thought that you said you were having trouble with merge to HDR; this one
    >>> worked!
    >>> Chuck

    >> As I mentioned earlier, I'm still studying it. Jack Davis has a nice
    >> section on it in his latest Photoshop CS DVD-ROM. There are some
    >> tricks to using it that I can go over if you'd like.
    >>

    >Without asking you to go into too much detail if you have a tip, or two or
    >three, that you found particularly helpful please let the group know. I
    >certainly can't be the only one in this group with PS CS2 who could find a
    >use for HDR.
    >Chuck

    yeah...agreed! I have used HDR a few times with mixed results but I
    seem to be getting better at it. I can tell it's a groundbreaking
    tool, I just have to follow the learing curve. Any tips you'd like to
    share would be greatly appreciated.

    best
    Michael Eisenberg

    Michael Eisenberg, Dec 17, 2005
  8. Annika1980

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > What is HDR function????

    Why don't you type "merge to hdr" into your favorite search engine?

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Dec 17, 2005
  9. Annika1980 wrote:
    > Here's a test image I made today using the new "Merge to HDR" function
    > of Photoshop CS2.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/53626197

    Yes, it looks like it worked just fine. But were the two intermediate
    exposures used at all? Would the results be different if you used just
    the ends of the exposure range?

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Dec 17, 2005
  10. Annika1980

    John Wilson Guest

    On 16 Dec 2005 20:03:05 -0800, "Annika1980" <>
    wrote:

    >Here's a test image I made today using the new "Merge to HDR" function
    >of Photoshop CS2.
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/image/53626197

    I have tried CS2's merge to HDR, because I do a lot of very high
    contrast subjects. I've never actually used the resulting image,
    mostly because it really needs very near identical images to work
    with. Handholding is rarely good enough, and a tripod is genuinely
    very impractical for the work I do.

    For most purposes the shadow/highlight function does help a lot, and
    in your test case I'm sure it would have given a near-identical result
    with a lot less trouble.

    Merge to HDR can do astonishing things with ultra high contrast
    images, eg really deep indoor shadows to outdoor sunlight - but when
    played with it I found the result looked very artificial once you
    merged it down to a monitor image.
    John Wilson
    jwilsonNO*
    Remove characters from e-mail address to reply
    www.yachtsnet.co.uk - full service online yacht
    brokerage with full details and multiple photos
    of all boats. Free classified adverts for small
    boats and genuinely useful marine links.

    John Wilson, Dec 17, 2005
  11. John Wilson wrote:
    > On 16 Dec 2005 20:03:05 -0800, "Annika1980" <>
    > wrote:

    > For most purposes the shadow/highlight function does help a lot, and
    > in your test case I'm sure it would have given a near-identical result
    > with a lot less trouble.
    >
    > Merge to HDR can do astonishing things with ultra high contrast
    > images, eg really deep indoor shadows to outdoor sunlight - but when
    > played with it I found the result looked very artificial once you
    > merged it down to a monitor image.

    You might want to give a go to shooting RAW, "developing" two or more
    images, layering them, and then painting on a mask to paint in those
    areas where indicated.

    --
    JOhn McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Dec 18, 2005
  12. Annika1980

    Dirty Harry Guest

    "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    > Annika1980 wrote:
    > > Here's a test image I made today using the new "Merge to HDR" function
    > > of Photoshop CS2.
    > >
    > > http://www.pbase.com/image/53626197
    > >

    > Yes, it looks like it worked just fine. But were the two intermediate
    > exposures used at all? Would the results be different if you used just
    > the ends of the exposure range?
    >
    > --
    > John McWilliams

    Look at the sky for your answer.