PhotoShop

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by CNT, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. CNT

    CNT Guest

    Teach me something... All I do with the PhotoShop 5.0LE is:

    1) Image, Image Size, change the Print Size to 6 x 4.5
    (leaving the Pixel Dimensions as is, Resample Image unchecked)
    2) View, Print Size
    3) Using the Marquee Tool, get 6 x 4.002
    4) Image, Crop
    5) Save As, name.jpg, Maximum

    After a set, I send 'em off to Walmart for prints. Is there another program
    I can use to do this faster (PhotoShop does not have a macro or shortcuts
    like Ctrl-key so I do steps 1-2 all at once and step 4 too)? And if possible
    save the file (from original JPEG from the camera to another JPEG file for
    prints) as lossless (like Irfanview? or something with JPEG 2000?)?

    I am looking into buying another camera that has RAW. I just want the best
    image quality as possible. I never tried RAW as my Nikon 880 doesn't have it
    (just TIFF so I don't bother to try it since TIFF size is so big).

    I am behind with this, so I am hoping to catch up. Thank you.

    Chuck

    CNT, Sep 18, 2003

  2. "CNT" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Teach me something... All I do with the PhotoShop 5.0LE is:
    >
    > 1) Image, Image Size, change the Print Size to 6 x 4.5
    > (leaving the Pixel Dimensions as is, Resample Image unchecked)
    > 2) View, Print Size
    > 3) Using the Marquee Tool, get 6 x 4.002
    > 4) Image, Crop
    > 5) Save As, name.jpg, Maximum
    >
    > After a set, I send 'em off to Walmart for prints. Is there another

    program
    > I can use to do this faster (PhotoShop does not have a macro or shortcuts
    > like Ctrl-key so I do steps 1-2 all at once and step 4 too)? And if

    possible
    > save the file (from original JPEG from the camera to another JPEG file for
    > prints) as lossless (like Irfanview? or something with JPEG 2000?)?
    >
    > I am looking into buying another camera that has RAW. I just want the best
    > image quality as possible. I never tried RAW as my Nikon 880 doesn't have

    it
    > (just TIFF so I don't bother to try it since TIFF size is so big).
    >
    > I am behind with this, so I am hoping to catch up. Thank you.
    >
    > Chuck

    Paint Shop Pro has amcro capability in v.8. Download the free trai at
    www.jasc.com. While you are at it, try the simple image enhancement
    operations.

    Marvin Margoshes, Sep 19, 2003

  3. CNT

    Bryce Guest

    You're not going to be able to automate it totally when you are cropping.

    How is the computer going to know where you want to crop it?

    Bryce, Sep 19, 2003
  4. CNT

    CNT Guest

    Like I said, a macro for steps 1 to 2, then move the dot frame up/down to
    get where I want to crop it, then another macro for step 4, then mouse click
    to Save As... Since PhotoShop has many Ctrl-key for many things, but not for
    what I need (which I am sure it's pretty route for many others including
    yourself??? right ???).

    Chuck

    CNT, Sep 19, 2003
  5. CNT

    Bryce Guest

    just make an action in photoshop. You can call it a macro if you wish. it's
    not that hard to do.

    Bryce, Sep 19, 2003
  6. CNT

    CNT Guest

    Teach me, please! In other words, how to do that? I have PS5 LE.

    Chuck

    CNT, Sep 19, 2003
  7. CNT

    Bryce Guest

    Open up your actions palette.

    Click on the record button.

    open up your file and do what you want with it.

    When you get the cropping, insert a stop into it for user input.

    close and save the file.

    When you are finished, press stop on the action recording and save the
    action as you wish.

    Copy about 20 photos into a separate folder and practice on those first so
    you don't mess anything up. I'm not looking at Photoshop directly now, but
    that is the way I recall doing it.

    Bryce, Sep 19, 2003
  8. CNT

    CNT Guest

    Thank you VERY MUCH! I will try that sometime soon.

    Chuck

    CNT, Sep 19, 2003
  9. CNT

    FOR7b Guest

    >Thank you VERY MUCH! I will try that sometime soon.
    >
    >Chuck

    There is no actions ability in Photoshop LE.

    FOR7b, Sep 19, 2003
  10. CNT

    Bryce Guest

    O shit! Sorry CNT.