    Can someone take a minute or two and help me out?
    Thanks
    Tom

    Tom Fulmer, Aug 30, 2003

  2. Tom Fulmer

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Scan at the highest optical resolution of your scanner -- flatbed is
    probably 1200 dpi, for a film scannera 2400 dpi is fairly common. Don't use
    any interpolated scans -- look that up in the booklet for the scanner to be
    sure you are at the right res.
    Go to the size dialog box in photoshop -- Image/Image size -- turn off
    the "resample image" checkbox and set your shorter side to 8 inches -- let
    the longer side fallt where it may for the moment. Click OK.
    checkbox. Set your resolution to 200 pixels/inch.
    Cropping off anything over ten inches on the long side of the image.

    You can also decide your crop first but remember, if you want it to be
    exactly 8x10 you must crop to 4 units by 5 units -- Although the units can
    be anything at all to start.
    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
    "Tom Fulmer" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > I am new to Photoshop and also new to scanning negatives. I am waiting

    for
    > the new D2H to hit the shelves, but that is another story. I am hoping
    > someone will be kind enough to share with me how in the heck to get

    started
    > with an assignment that I have.
    > My assignment is to scan a 35mm negative into Photoshop and work it up

    into

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 30, 2003

  3. Double Click on the Crop Tool.
    Check Box that says "Fixed Target Size"
    Set H and W to 8 X 10 inches
    Set Resolution to 200 ppi
    Crop as desired then press Enter.
    Perfectly cropped to 8 x 10 inches and 200 ppi.
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Aug 30, 2003
  4. Tom Fulmer

    Tom Fulmer Guest

    Thanks.
    My assignment was to be able to send the jpeg file to a newspaper. The
    requirements at the newspaper was to have a 200 dpi (dots per inch) file. Is
    that different than a resolution of 200 ppi (pixels per inch)?

    Tom Fulmer, Aug 30, 2003
  5. Tom Fulmer

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    There is no effective difference.