Photoshop recommendations

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Neil Jones, Dec 24, 2008.

  1. Neil Jones

    Matt Ion Guest

    John Navas wrote:

    >>> The other issue is that many people, me included, find the GIMP
    >>> interface to be unintuitive to the point of pain. While the GIMP is
    >>> quite powerful and free, I'll think you'll find the interface in
    >>> Photoshop Elements much easier, and it can be found for under $30.
    >>> (See link in my earlier post.)

    >> Similarly, I find the Photoshop interface rather unintuitive, at least
    >> compared to Paintshop Pro.

    > I said Elements, not the full version. Have you used Elements?

    I used Elements 2 for a little while. Went back to PSP. Same problem,
    the interface and features didn't appeal to me as PSP's did.

    Matt Ion, Dec 26, 2008

  2. Neil Jones

    Matt Ion Guest

    John Navas wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 22:09:57 -0800, "Leo Lichtman"
    > <> wrote in
    > <woF4l.9740$>:
    >
    >> "tony cooper" wrote: (clip)You really have to gear the discussion to the
    >> wants and needs of the
    >>> poster or you'll just add to the confusion that brought him to the
    >>> newsgroup in the first place.

    >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >> This sentence could well be cross-posted to a great many other newsgroups.
    >> Well thought and well said.

    > Amen!

    And another from me!

    Matt Ion, Dec 26, 2008

  3. Neil Jones

    Matt Ion Guest

    Leo Lichtman wrote:
    > I started with Photoshop Elements 4, and I was fortunate that just at the
    > right time, a retired UC professor in my area offered weekly lessons on it
    > in his home. I want to emphacize this: using a program that is popular has
    > its advantages. You can find people to talk to, ask questions and compare
    > experiences with, like I did. We still meet in this professor's home and
    > discuss our work, even though the instructional part is over. Being with
    > others who share the same background and experience is very rewarding; you
    > never stop learning.

    It's a good thought, but popularity is a double-edged sword: just
    because it's popular, doesn't mean everyone who has it is PROFICIENT in
    it. Yeah, you can find a lot of people that use it, but they're only
    using it because they too heard it's "the best" or "the most popular"
    and the most you'll be able to discuss with them is how to select
    multiple files in the File Open dialog.

    Matt Ion, Dec 26, 2008
  4. Neil Jones

    Matt Ion Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:

    > I just took advantage of that $12 for Elements 6 from Price Grabber, so
    > I'll be able to get a good feel for how it compares to my current PSP 9.

    Wouldn't it be cheaper to take advantage of the free download of the
    trial version from Adobe?

    > For $12 the op could play with that at low risk.

    Free is even less risk.

    Matt Ion, Dec 26, 2008
  5. Neil Jones

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, ray <>
    wrote:

    > > I've never used elements but understand it's all the normal amateur
    > > would need. I've used PhotoPlus and now use PSP9. The latter is almost
    > > given away if you can find it. Later versions are distributed by Corel.
    > > All the above are really adequate. You can get lots of free stuff, but
    > > at some time or other you'll discover layers and for that you will need
    > > something a little better than a freebie, which is not to knock the
    > > latter. FastStone is great for quick fix ups and cropping.

    > Why is that? I find that GIMP does layers adequately.

    or not at all, in the case of adjustment layers.

    nospam, Dec 26, 2008
  6. Neil Jones

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 22:39:42 GMT, "Benny" <no spam > wrote:

    >> I would strongly suggest that you check out this page:
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_raster_graphics_editors
    >>
    >> It lists most all of the better-known graphic editors. Many of them are
    >> freeware
    >> and would do more than you will ever need.
    >>
    >> For someone in your position, anything by Adobe is overkill and a waste of
    >> money
    >> and time. I personally never use Adobe anything, as there are much better
    >> editors out there. A few that would be more than you will ever need are
    >> Paint
    >> Shop Pro (v9.01 is more than you will need), Zoner Photo Studio,
    >> PhotoBrush,
    >> IrfanView, PhotoImpact, Serif PhotoPlus, FastStone, and Gimp. Just
    >> because
    >> others say to use Adobe doesn't mean it's the best. Adobe has been
    >> outclassed by
    >> many many other editors many years ago. The "pros" just are so used to
    >> using
    >> outdated Adobe software with last-century features and capabilities that
    >> they
    >> don't know any better. Stuck in a rut. There is much better software out
    >> there
    >> now, going on 8 years. You're in a position to learn from the beginning,
    >> finding
    >> even better software that the trolls and "pros" are unwilling or incapable
    >> of
    >> learning anew.
    >>

    >I'm very open to using other graphics software instead of Adobe Photoshop CS
    >or Elements.
    >Can you please give some examples of what your suggested packages are
    >capable of that are lacking in Adobe products.
    >regards

    There really isn't anything "better" than the Adobe products because
    when evaluating a photo editing program you should take into account
    all of the functions possible with that program. I'm familiar with
    most of the above-named products, and they each have some functions
    that are quite functional for basic editing. After all, functions
    like crop, resize, and adjustment of brightness/contrast are the
    primary level editing functions, and all of these programs do this.

    Where the Adobe programs kick in is when you want to do more
    sophisticated editing...adjustment layers, for example. An adjustment
    layer allows you to change Levels, Brightness/Contrast, Hue and
    Saturation, etc in a non-permanent way that allows you to come back
    and tweak individual steps.

    A program that doesn't offer adjustment layers isn't a bad program,
    but it doesn't allow you to grow. There are other features of
    Photoshop (full version) and Elements that the same can be said for.

    There are plug-ins and add-ons available for Photoshop products that
    make certain image modifications easier. I'm currently trying out a
    filter plug-in called Color FX Pro; it came (free) bundled with a
    Wacom tablet I purchased. It doesn't do anything that I can't do in
    Photoshop (full version) or Elements, but it makes certain effects
    easier to do. There are hundreds of free downloadable Action sets for
    Photoshop (full version).

    The wide usage base of Adobe products ensures that more and more
    plug-ins and Actions will be available in the future. It also ensures
    that more tutorials will be available for Photoshop and Elements. I
    don't think this is true of some of the other programs the poster has
    listed.

    The statements of the above poster are typical of the type of person
    who has made his own choice and feels he has to justify that choice by
    talking about Adobe as "outdated" and "outclassed". He may be able to
    do photo editing to his own satisfaction with these substitutes, but
    it's unlikely that his results will be on par with someone who is
    proficient in any of the Adobe products.

    It's sad that this person feels he has to denigrate the Adobe products
    just because he is satisfied with something else.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 26, 2008
  7. Neil Jones

    Guest

    Another good reason to use Photoshop, even though it does have more of
    a learning curve, is that it is the industry standard. For example,
    when you configure the preferences inside Maya (a popular 3d package)
    the only application singled out is 'Application Path for Editing
    Adobe Photoshop Files'. And if you watch video number fourteen 'Import
    PSD' files at this url:

    http://www.eyeonline.com/Web/EyeonWeb/marketing/21reasons/21reasons_15.aspx

    You will see that Fusion assumes you are working with Adobe PS. This
    is just a couple of examples but it happens all over. Adobe takes
    being the leader very seriously.
    So if your plan is to start with processing photos but then eventually
    move on to other areas then consider sticking it out with Photoshop.

    , Dec 26, 2008
  8. Neil Jones

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 16:41:45 -0800, Matt Ion <>
    wrote:

    >>> Similarly, I find the Photoshop interface rather unintuitive, at least
    >>> compared to Paintshop Pro.

    >> I said Elements, not the full version. Have you used Elements?

    >I used Elements 2 for a little while. Went back to PSP. Same problem,
    >the interface and features didn't appeal to me as PSP's did.

    I used PSP when it was a free product offered by Jasc. I lost
    interest in it when Corel took over. Not for any good reason, though.
    I just don't like Corel because they refuse to support older versions
    of WordPerfect. They require you to continually update even though
    your current version is perfectly adequate for what you do. I
    switched to Open Office for this reason.

    I still use CorelDraw 9, but I'll hang on to that as long as it works.
    The version I have does everything I need it to do.

    I'm a bit of a Luddite in this. If a program does what I want, I
    don't want to change just because a new version is available. I'm
    quite satisfied with Photoshop 7.0 and Elements 5.0. I've used the
    trial versions of the Photoshop CS versions and Elements 6.0. I
    didn't find anything in them that looked particularly useful to me.

    Naturally, I'm still on WindowsXP and have no interest in Vista.

    I should mention that I don't make a living using any of these
    programs. If I was a professional user, my attitude might be
    different.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 26, 2008
  9. Neil Jones

    -hh Guest

    Neil Jones <> wrote:

    > I think I will consider getting Photoshop Elements (in the next few
    > weeks) and consider taking a class.
    >
    > Now, like Leo, I will need to find a university professor or some
    > professional who offers classes locally for Photoshop.

    Something else to be aware of is that if you're taking a local college
    class, this may make you eligible for a "Student" (Academic Discount)
    version of whatever software you're looking at learning.

    For example, the Academic price on the full blown version of Photoshop
    CS4 is around $198, and Photoshop Elements $65.

    -hh

    -hh, Dec 26, 2008
  10. Stephen Bishop wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 08:00:43 -0500, Neil Jones
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am amateur photographer, only up to the point of taking pictures. For
    >> the pictures I shoot, I do not process the pictures or enhance them with
    >> touch ups etc. The pictures that turn out good are printed and the rest
    >> are saved.
    >>
    >> I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
    >> that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
    >> To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
    >> They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
    >> version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
    >> photos? What would be the price range?
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance for any help.
    >>
    >> Happy Holidays!
    >>
    >> NJ
    >>
    >> PS - What are plugins? Do you need to buy them separately from Photoshop?

    > Having previously recommended Elements (I still do) let me add that I
    > only rarely use the program because I find Lightroom to be more than
    > capable for most of what I do. I stopped editing jpegs long ago and
    > have standardized on RAW because of both quality and convenience
    > reasons. A program like Lightroom (Apple's Aperture is similar) is
    > fantastic because it is an all-in-one solution with a single intuitive
    > and elegant interface. This allows me to concentrate more on my
    > photography rather than juggling different programs and interfaces for
    > different tasks.
    >
    > http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/faq/
    >
    > The price is a little steep compared to Elements or PSP, but if you or
    > anyone in your family is a student or a teacher you can get a very
    > substantial educational discount.
    >
    > Others have recommended free programs like GIMP. You can't argue
    > with the price, but as is true with most open-sourced free programs,
    > it seems to be more suited for computer enthusiasts (particularly
    > LINUX users) than it is for photographers.

    Above all, I recommend a program that's cross platform, and one in which
    there's room to grow.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Dec 26, 2008
  11. Neil Jones

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 06:59:00 -0500, Stephen Bishop wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 08:00:43 -0500, Neil Jones
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I am amateur photographer, only up to the point of taking pictures. For
    >>the pictures I shoot, I do not process the pictures or enhance them with
    >>touch ups etc. The pictures that turn out good are printed and the rest
    >>are saved.
    >>
    >>I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
    >>that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
    >>To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
    >> They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
    >>version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
    >>photos? What would be the price range?
    >>
    >>Thank you in advance for any help.
    >>
    >>Happy Holidays!
    >>
    >>NJ
    >>
    >>PS - What are plugins? Do you need to buy them separately from
    >>Photoshop?

    > Having previously recommended Elements (I still do) let me add that I
    > only rarely use the program because I find Lightroom to be more than
    > capable for most of what I do. I stopped editing jpegs long ago and
    > have standardized on RAW because of both quality and convenience
    > reasons. A program like Lightroom (Apple's Aperture is similar) is
    > fantastic because it is an all-in-one solution with a single intuitive
    > and elegant interface. This allows me to concentrate more on my
    > photography rather than juggling different programs and interfaces for
    > different tasks.
    >
    > http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/faq/

    I find that ufraw allows one to do basic processing on RAW files - it's
    also Open Source and free.

    > The price is a little steep compared to Elements or PSP, but if you or
    > anyone in your family is a student or a teacher you can get a very
    > substantial educational discount.
    >
    > Others have recommended free programs like GIMP. You can't argue with
    > the price, but as is true with most open-sourced free programs, it seems
    > to be more suited for computer enthusiasts (particularly LINUX users)
    > than it is for photographers.

    One main benefit of GIMP, ufraw and other open source programs. You can
    try it for free with no limitations. If they don't meet your needs, then
    you can move along and spend some serious bucks. Please not, also, that
    it has been mentioned that the expensive software often has free trial
    versions - the kicker is that they are generally restricted in what they
    can do.

    ray, Dec 26, 2008
  12. Neil Jones

    Hans Dull Guest

    Neil Jones wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am amateur photographer, only up to the point of taking pictures. For
    > the pictures I shoot, I do not process the pictures or enhance them with
    > touch ups etc. The pictures that turn out good are printed and the rest
    > are saved.
    >
    > I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
    > that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
    > To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
    > They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
    > version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
    > photos? What would be the price range?
    >
    >[...]

    I can recommend GIMP 2.6.3 - It has everything an amateur photographer needs
    and it runs on Linux as well as on any Windows (The CPU should be fast
    allready for both, Gimp or (PS) Photoshop). In my opinon, PS Elements has
    lower funtionality than Gimp, wich has lower functionality than Photoshop
    CS. PS is a verry powerful Software which ist too powerful for an Amateur.

    --
    Grüße ins Netz

    Hans

    Hans Dull, Dec 26, 2008
  13. Neil Jones

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, ray <>
    wrote:

    > One main benefit of GIMP, ufraw and other open source programs. You can
    > try it for free with no limitations.

    photoshop has a free trial version.

    > If they don't meet your needs, then
    > you can move along and spend some serious bucks. Please not, also, that
    > it has been mentioned that the expensive software often has free trial
    > versions - the kicker is that they are generally restricted in what they
    > can do.

    there is no restriction in functionality. it just expires after 30
    days.

    nospam, Dec 26, 2008
  14. Neil Jones

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 14:03:52 -0500, nospam wrote:

    > In article <>, ray <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> One main benefit of GIMP, ufraw and other open source programs. You can
    >> try it for free with no limitations.

    > photoshop has a free trial version.
    >
    >> If they don't meet your needs, then
    >> you can move along and spend some serious bucks. Please not, also, that
    >> it has been mentioned that the expensive software often has free trial
    >> versions - the kicker is that they are generally restricted in what
    >> they can do.

    > there is no restriction in functionality. it just expires after 30
    > days.

    Geez - that would seem to be a major restriction!

    ray, Dec 26, 2008
  15. Neil Jones

    The Real Bev Guest

    John Navas wrote:

    > Matt Ion <> wrote
    >
    >>John Navas wrote:
    >>
    >>> I said Elements, not the full version. Have you used Elements?

    >>I used Elements 2 for a little while. Went back to PSP. Same problem,
    >>the interface and features didn't appeal to me as PSP's did.

    > Elements is now up to 7. Much has changed.

    Has anybody tried Picasa recently? Unless you want to do something
    elaborate, it works really nicely. Newest improvement -- a clone-like
    tool which is REALLY easy. The easy red-eye correction has been in
    there for a long time.

    The price is right, and the on-line albums aren't all that bad either..

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    If violence isn't solving the problem, you're not using enough of it.

    The Real Bev, Dec 26, 2008
  16. Neil Jones

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, ray <>
    wrote:

    > > there is no restriction in functionality. it just expires after 30
    > > days.

    > Geez - that would seem to be a major restriction!

    how much time do you need to evaluate it and decide if it is worth
    purchasing? 30 days is fairly generous; most people probably can
    decide within a week or two.

    nospam, Dec 26, 2008
  17. Neil Jones

    Dave Cohen Guest

    tony cooper wrote:
> [...]
    >>> are a working professional or serious amateur and you already know your
    >>> way around the program.
    >>> OTOH, PS Elements is an entry level program for persons like yourself
    >>> who are new to digital imaging. Entry level does not mean dumbed down.
    >>> PS Elements is extremely powerful and can do almost everything that a
    >>> newbie would want to do with full PS. But unlike full PS, Elements
    >>> volunteers a lot of help as you work thru the editing process.
    >>> Even so, using the tools in any photo editing program is not intuitive.
    >>> IMHO, you will need a well written book or manual to help you learn what
    >>> the various editing tools do and how to use them.
    >>> I suggest that you buy PS Elements 7 and STRONGLY encourage to purchase
    >>> a self-help book to go along with it. Over the years I have used a
    >>> number of self-help books on using PS and I can recommend the "Teach
    >>> Yourself Visually" series as well as the "Classroom in a Book" series by
    >>> the Adobe Staff.
    >>> Amazon carries both oh these series. For a rank beginner, I would start
    >>> with Teach Yourself......" and graduate to "Classroom........"
    >>> At Amazon.com, See:
    >>> http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yoursel...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230189028&sr=1-4
    >>>

    >>> Bob Williams

    >> I just took advantage of that $12 for Elements 6 from Price Grabber, so
    >> I'll be able to get a good feel for how it compares to my current PSP 9.
    >> All packages do red eye in one way or another, but PSP 9 does it in
    >> style, you get to choices on what to replace with, and for animal lovers
    >> is has an animal selection which is nice. They get same problem but
    >> color is usually other than red.
    >> Now at least I should be able to get a decent book or two that relates
    >> to what I'm using without having to translate (although much of the time
    >> that does work).
    >> For $12 the op could play with that at low risk. I looked at some
    >> reviews and there doesn't appear to be much lost in 6 from version 7.
    >> Dave Cohen

    > I use Elements 5.0, and tried 6.0 as a trial. I didn't see enough of
    > a difference between the two to buy 6.0. There's always one tool in a
    > new version that is nice, but new versions don't offer major change.
    >
    > If you feel comfortable buying a book, do so. That adds $30 to $40 to
    > your cost. The price of books on any program is astronomically high.
    > I spent $40 on a Scott Kelby book recently. It was worth it, but it
    > focussed on one particular function of Photoshop (full version):
    > channels.
    >
    > I'd recommend that you start with following some of the many online
    > tutorials for Elements. They are free, and I think you'll find that
    > the tutorials get you started as well as a book would. I do have a
    > book on Elements (Classroom in a Book - $40) that was a gift, but I
    > usually go to an online tutorial if I want additional information on a
    > tool's use. The one advantage of the book is the included CD with

    My local library has some stuff on both PS and Elements. Not sure what
    versions are covered. I got a $50 gift certificate for Barnes & Noble so
    I'll see what they carry.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Dec 26, 2008
  18. Neil Jones

    Dave Cohen Guest

    wrote:
    > Another good reason to use Photoshop, even though it does have more of
    > a learning curve, is that it is the industry standard. For example,
    > when you configure the preferences inside Maya (a popular 3d package)
    > the only application singled out is 'Application Path for Editing
    > Adobe Photoshop Files'. And if you watch video number fourteen 'Import
    > PSD' files at this url:
    >
    > http://www.eyeonline.com/Web/EyeonWeb/marketing/21reasons/21reasons_15.aspx
    >
    > You will see that Fusion assumes you are working with Adobe PS. This
    > is just a couple of examples but it happens all over. Adobe takes
    > being the leader very seriously.
    > So if your plan is to start with processing photos but then eventually
    > move on to other areas then consider sticking it out with Photoshop.

    That's good logic if it applies to Elements and I'm going to give taht
    one a try. However, the jump in price from Elements or something like
    PSP or PhotoPlus in my opinion cannot be justified by the points you
    make true as they maybe.
    A similar situation exists with PageMaker and PagePlus which I have used
    for years. The latter is perfectly adequate for the majority of needs.
    Both PageMaker and PS are geared towards the professional with pre-press
    preparation in mind. My guess is half the people using the full version
    product didn't pay for it anyway, I do miss my working days when I could
    play with software at company expense.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Dec 26, 2008
  19. Neil Jones

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 17:07:26 -0500, Dave Cohen <>
    wrote:

    >My local library has some stuff on both PS and Elements. Not sure what
    >versions are covered. I got a $50 gift certificate for Barnes & Noble so
    >I'll see what they carry.

    If you purchase Elements 5.0, 6.0, or 7.0, and all your library
    carries are books on 4.0 or any previous version to what you purchase,
    it won't make a great deal of difference to you. The basic functions
    have not changed. A book on 4.0 will be useful in learning how to use
    6.0. It won't cover some added features, but you'll be starting out
    with the basics. Some of the new features are pretty
    self-explanatory. Just try them and see what they do.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 26, 2008
  20. Neil Jones

    ray Guest

    >>> there is no restriction in functionality. it just expires after 30
    >>> days.

    >>Geez - that would seem to be a major restriction!

    > Certainly if you want to steal it. ;)

    I have no plans to steal anything. I use Open Source software almost
    exclusively - I'm quite happy with GIMP and ufraw - do everything I need;
    at least for now.

    ray, Dec 27, 2008