Photoshop recommendations

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Neil Jones, Dec 24, 2008.

  1. Neil Jones

    Neil Jones Guest

    Hi,

    I am amateur photographer, only up to the point of taking pictures. For
    the pictures I shoot, I do not process the pictures or enhance them with
    touch ups etc. The pictures that turn out good are printed and the rest
    are saved.

    I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
    that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
    To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
    They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
    version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
    photos? What would be the price range?

    Thank you in advance for any help.

    Happy Holidays!

    NJ

    PS - What are plugins? Do you need to buy them separately from Photoshop?
    Neil Jones, Dec 24, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Go cheap. Photoshop CS2 (if you can find it) or CS3 will be
    sufficient. There's a ton of plugins which make things easier, but
    I've never needed them. I've retouched photos, created 3D art and
    much more with just the basic package.

    You can find a lot of tutorials on YouTube as well.
    Always Has An Opinion, Dec 24, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Neil Jones

    Guest

    "Neil Jones" <> wrote in
    message news:eoq4l.1243$...
    >
    >
    > PS - What are plugins? Do you need to buy them separately from Photoshop?



    A "plugin" is separate piece of software which has the ability to
    attach itself to the target software, in this case Photoshop, which
    will then appear as an additional menu selection in Photoshop to
    perform a task. You can invoke the "plugin" software directly from the
    menu of Photoshop.

    More detail here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plugin


    Some of the plugins are free. Some are not.



    Regards,

    Wannabe
    =======
    , Dec 24, 2008
    #3
  4. Neil Jones

    Neil Jones Guest

    Always Has An Opinion wrote:
    > Go cheap. Photoshop CS2 (if you can find it) or CS3 will be
    > sufficient. There's a ton of plugins which make things easier, but
    > I've never needed them. I've retouched photos, created 3D art and
    > much more with just the basic package.
    >
    > You can find a lot of tutorials on YouTube as well.



    Great idea! I went to Amazon and looked up for CS3 but found that it
    costs as much as CS4 (even in the used section). They were listed at
    $649 (USD). Some of the craigslist sellers listed it for $100 to $150.
    I don't know if these are bootlegged packed with trojans in them. I am
    suspicious because of the price difference between the new version and
    used version.

    What are some good sources to buy cheap/used software like CS3?

    Thank you once again.

    NJ
    Neil Jones, Dec 24, 2008
    #4
  5. Neil Jones

    harikeo Guest

    Neil Jones wrote:
    > Always Has An Opinion wrote:
    >> Go cheap. Photoshop CS2 (if you can find it) or CS3 will be
    >> sufficient. There's a ton of plugins which make things easier, but
    >> I've never needed them. I've retouched photos, created 3D art and
    >> much more with just the basic package.
    >>
    >> You can find a lot of tutorials on YouTube as well.

    >
    >
    > Great idea! I went to Amazon and looked up for CS3 but found that it
    > costs as much as CS4 (even in the used section). They were listed at
    > $649 (USD). Some of the craigslist sellers listed it for $100 to $150.
    > I don't know if these are bootlegged packed with trojans in them. I am
    > suspicious because of the price difference between the new version and
    > used version.
    >
    > What are some good sources to buy cheap/used software like CS3?
    >
    > Thank you once again.
    >
    > NJ

    Howabout Photoshop Elements 7 unless you want/need the full-blown PS CSx?

    <mind the rap on the earl>

    http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-6502661...sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1230128042&sr=8-1
    harikeo, Dec 24, 2008
    #5
  6. Neil Jones

    harikeo Guest

    harikeo wrote:
    > Neil Jones wrote:
    >> Always Has An Opinion wrote:
    >>> Go cheap. Photoshop CS2 (if you can find it) or CS3 will be
    >>> sufficient. There's a ton of plugins which make things easier, but
    >>> I've never needed them. I've retouched photos, created 3D art and
    >>> much more with just the basic package.
    >>>
    >>> You can find a lot of tutorials on YouTube as well.

    >>
    >>
    >> Great idea! I went to Amazon and looked up for CS3 but found that it
    >> costs as much as CS4 (even in the used section). They were listed at
    >> $649 (USD). Some of the craigslist sellers listed it for $100 to $150.
    >> I don't know if these are bootlegged packed with trojans in them. I am
    >> suspicious because of the price difference between the new version and
    >> used version.
    >>
    >> What are some good sources to buy cheap/used software like CS3?
    >>
    >> Thank you once again.
    >>
    >> NJ

    > Howabout Photoshop Elements 7 unless you want/need the full-blown PS CSx?
    >
    > <mind the rap on the earl>
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-6502661...sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1230128042&sr=8-1
    >
    >


    I forgot to mention Gimp 2 which is free http://www.gimp.org/
    harikeo, Dec 24, 2008
    #6
  7. Neil Jones

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 08:00:43 -0500, Neil Jones
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am amateur photographer, only up to the point of taking pictures. For
    >the pictures I shoot, I do not process the pictures or enhance them with
    >touch ups etc. The pictures that turn out good are printed and the rest
    >are saved.
    >
    >I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
    >that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
    >To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
    > They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
    >version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
    >photos? What would be the price range?
    >
    >Thank you in advance for any help.
    >
    >Happy Holidays!
    >
    >NJ
    >
    >PS - What are plugins? Do you need to buy them separately from Photoshop?


    No one can really tell you what is best for you because we don't know
    your skill levels or how much time and effort you will put into
    learning a new program.

    However, based on what you've said above, I would recommend that you
    use Adobe's Elements and not the full version of Photoshop. Elements
    7.0 is $140 retail, but you can purchase Elements 5.0 or 6.0 for half
    of that or less.

    Elements will do almost everything that the full CS Photoshop version
    will do. The difference between "everything" and "almost everything"
    is in the use of some features that it takes a year or more of
    experience to learn to use. I've been using the full version for
    several years, and there are *still* features that I'm not proficient
    in.

    I also have Elements 5.0. For most editing of family photographs, I
    use Elements instead of the full Photoshop. I switch over to the full
    version when I have a real problem photograph or want to do something
    extra creative.

    You can download a free trial of Elements 7.0 at
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/

    This might not be of interest, but you can buy a Wacom Bamboo Fun pen
    tablet for $80/$90 on Amazon, and this *includes* Elements 5.0 plus
    Nic Color EFX (great filters!) and Corel Painter Essentials. Each
    individual program alone is worth the money, and you get all three.








    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Dec 24, 2008
    #7
  8. Neil Jones

    Neil Jones Guest

    harikeo wrote:
    > harikeo wrote:
    >> Neil Jones wrote:
    >>> Always Has An Opinion wrote:
    >>>> Go cheap. Photoshop CS2 (if you can find it) or CS3 will be
    >>>> sufficient. There's a ton of plugins which make things easier, but
    >>>> I've never needed them. I've retouched photos, created 3D art and
    >>>> much more with just the basic package.
    >>>>
    >>>> You can find a lot of tutorials on YouTube as well.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Great idea! I went to Amazon and looked up for CS3 but found that it
    >>> costs as much as CS4 (even in the used section). They were listed at
    >>> $649 (USD). Some of the craigslist sellers listed it for $100 to $150.
    >>> I don't know if these are bootlegged packed with trojans in them. I am
    >>> suspicious because of the price difference between the new version and
    >>> used version.
    >>>
    >>> What are some good sources to buy cheap/used software like CS3?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you once again.
    >>>
    >>> NJ

    >> Howabout Photoshop Elements 7 unless you want/need the full-blown PS CSx?
    >>
    >> <mind the rap on the earl>
    >>
    >> http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-6502661...sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1230128042&sr=8-1
    >>
    >>

    >
    > I forgot to mention Gimp 2 which is free http://www.gimp.org/


    I do have GIMP 2 but haven't done much with it. Photoshop seems to be
    have a big following and easier to get some help.

    NJ

    PS - My digital camera also comes with some software which most people
    (including myself) haven't heard of before. The software seems to be ok
    but difficult to get any help.
    Neil Jones, Dec 24, 2008
    #8
  9. Caesar Romano wrote:
    []
    > You may wish to consider Paint Shop Pro at www.jasc.com/ It does most
    > of what PS does at a fraction of the price. Unless you are doing VERY
    > high end image *creation* (rather than editing) PSP is all that you
    > need. There is a dedicated NG at comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro


    I'd second that, and say that Paint Shop Pro 10 (PSP-X) is probably good
    enough for someone starting with image-processing. The folk who use it
    are very supportive and helpful to beginners (although I haven't checked
    that very recently). The one other piece of software I might recommend is
    something for combining two or three images together to simulate a
    wide-angle lens - what I call a panorama, but meaning less than 360
    degrees. Particularly useful if your camera only has a 35-38mm eq. widest
    focal length.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 24, 2008
    #9
  10. Neil Jones

    TheRealSteve Guest

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 14:44:34 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

    >Caesar Romano wrote:
    >[]
    >> You may wish to consider Paint Shop Pro at www.jasc.com/ It does most
    >> of what PS does at a fraction of the price. Unless you are doing VERY
    >> high end image *creation* (rather than editing) PSP is all that you
    >> need. There is a dedicated NG at comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro

    >
    >I'd second that, and say that Paint Shop Pro 10 (PSP-X) is probably good
    >enough for someone starting with image-processing. The folk who use it
    >are very supportive and helpful to beginners (although I haven't checked
    >that very recently). The one other piece of software I might recommend is


    I used to use Paint Shop Pro all the time but I stopped after PSP 9
    and switched over to Gimp because one of the things I do is to free
    rotate images to correct my lopsided holding of the camera by a degree
    or two and sometimes perspective correction for when a wide angle is
    looking up or down. PSP 9 doesn't do that as well as Gimp because
    Gimp can use the Lanczos interpolator for free rotation, perspective
    correction, resizing, etc., and the best PSP 9 can manage is bicubic.

    Have they added the option to use lanczos interpolator to the latest
    version of Paint Shop Pro? If so, I might try it out. If not, I'll
    pass.

    Steve
    TheRealSteve, Dec 24, 2008
    #10
  11. Neil Jones

    Justin C Guest

    > On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 08:00:43 -0500, Neil Jones
    ><> wrote Re Photoshop
    > recommendations:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I am amateur photographer, only up to the point of taking pictures. For
    >>the pictures I shoot, I do not process the pictures or enhance them with
    >>touch ups etc. The pictures that turn out good are printed and the rest
    >>are saved.
    >>
    >>I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
    >>that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
    >>To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
    >> They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
    >>version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
    >>photos? What would be the price range?
    >>
    >>Thank you in advance for any help.


    PhotoShop is a *very* powerful application and is likely to take quite a
    bit of time to learn to use well. I've been using it for years and still
    barely use any of it's features. It's much more than something that'll
    just make the most of your images. You may find either Aperture or
    LightRoom more suited to your needs, check them out before spending the
    money on PhotoShop.

    Justin.

    --
    Justin C, by the sea.
    Justin C, Dec 24, 2008
    #11
  12. TheRealSteve wrote:
    []
    > I used to use Paint Shop Pro all the time but I stopped after PSP 9
    > and switched over to Gimp because one of the things I do is to free
    > rotate images to correct my lopsided holding of the camera by a degree
    > or two and sometimes perspective correction for when a wide angle is
    > looking up or down. PSP 9 doesn't do that as well as Gimp because
    > Gimp can use the Lanczos interpolator for free rotation, perspective
    > correction, resizing, etc., and the best PSP 9 can manage is bicubic.
    >
    > Have they added the option to use lanczos interpolator to the latest
    > version of Paint Shop Pro? If so, I might try it out. If not, I'll
    > pass.
    >
    > Steve


    I can't speak for the latest version, but in PSP-10 bicubic is the best
    available. I've always found that more than adequate, as I always do the
    corrections such as rotation and perspective as the first step. I simply
    add a little sharpening to the output image if needed, and usually it's
    not needed.

    Pity cameras don't include an element of sensor rotation and optional
    automatic horizon detection function.....

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 24, 2008
    #12
  13. Neil Jones

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 08:00:43 -0500, Neil Jones wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am amateur photographer, only up to the point of taking pictures. For
    > the pictures I shoot, I do not process the pictures or enhance them with
    > touch ups etc. The pictures that turn out good are printed and the rest
    > are saved.
    >
    > I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
    > that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
    > To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
    > They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
    > version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
    > photos? What would be the price range?


    Suggest you try GIMP first - it's free. It will probably do everything you
    need. There are several online tutorials.

    >
    > Thank you in advance for any help.
    >
    > Happy Holidays!
    >
    > NJ
    >
    > PS - What are plugins? Do you need to buy them separately from
    > Photoshop?


    plugins are basically code that folks have written to do additional things
    inside the main program - added functionality.
    ray, Dec 24, 2008
    #13
  14. In article <eoq4l.1243$>,
    Neil Jones <> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I am amateur photographer, only up to the point of taking pictures. For
    >the pictures I shoot, I do not process the pictures or enhance them with
    >touch ups etc. The pictures that turn out good are printed and the rest
    >are saved.
    >
    >I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
    >that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
    >To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
    > They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
    >version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
    >photos? What would be the price range?


    I would suggest getting Irfanview, which is shareware and will do many
    of the things that photoshop will do. Then when you see what you need
    and if Irfanview can't do it, then start looking at photoshop again.

    www.irfanview.com

    If you do get it, please pay the shareware fee, its well worth it. 10
    euros is suggested. Thats 15-20 US$.

    --
    Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
    Eastern time. N6LRT I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since CP-67
    Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
    Retired at the beach Asst Owner:Sibernet-L
    Rich Greenberg, Dec 24, 2008
    #14
  15. Neil Jones

    Matt Ion Guest

    Neil Jones wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am amateur photographer, only up to the point of taking pictures. For
    > the pictures I shoot, I do not process the pictures or enhance them with
    > touch ups etc. The pictures that turn out good are printed and the rest
    > are saved.
    >
    > I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
    > that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
    > To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
    > They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
    > version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
    > photos? What would be the price range?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any help.
    >
    > Happy Holidays!
    >
    > NJ
    >
    > PS - What are plugins? Do you need to buy them separately from Photoshop?


    Hey Neil, lots of good suggestions here, but something I haven't seen
    mentioned yet, is that you should be able to download free demos of most
    of this commercial software, and see what suits your needs.

    From Adobe, there's Photoshop (for the hardcore), Elements
    (Photoshop-Lite), and Lightroom (different workflow, might suit you
    better). AFAIK there are free time-limited demos of all of them.

    From Corel (bought PSP from JASC a couple versions ago), there's Paint
    Shop Pro (latest version is 12, aka Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 -
    time-limited demo downloadable), or if you dig around, you can find a
    freebie version of JASC Paint Shop Pro 7.

    There's tons of freeware/open-source/shareware out there that will
    probably also do most of what you need - take a look at IrfanView,
    Picasa, the latest GIMP, Paint.NET, or Pixel32.

    Long and short of it is, there's no reason to shell out money for a
    solution without trying a bunch of different ones first and seeing what
    suits you best. Don't worry about what's "most popular" - there's lots
    of users and lots of support out there for all the different options. A
    lot of Photoshop's "popularity" is people who, like you, simply think
    Photoshop is the way to go because that's all they've ever heard - they
    won't be a lot of help to you :)
    Matt Ion, Dec 24, 2008
    #15
  16. Neil Jones

    JR Weiss Guest

    "Neil Jones" <> wrote...
    >
    > I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
    > that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
    > To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
    > They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
    > version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
    > photos? What would be the price range?


    Start with Photoshop Elements for $100 or less. Once you get used to what it
    can do, then decide whether you want or need all the power of the full
    application.
    JR Weiss, Dec 24, 2008
    #16
  17. Neil Jones

    nospam Guest

    In article <eoq4l.1243$>, Neil Jones
    <> wrote:

    > I am amateur photographer, only up to the point of taking pictures. For
    > the pictures I shoot, I do not process the pictures or enhance them with
    > touch ups etc. The pictures that turn out good are printed and the rest
    > are saved.
    >
    > I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
    > that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
    > To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
    > They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
    > version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
    > photos? What would be the price range?


    i would suggest photoshop elements for around $100. it's unlikely you
    need the full version of photoshop.

    > PS - What are plugins? Do you need to buy them separately from Photoshop?


    third party add-ons that add features to photoshop (or to other apps).
    some are free, some aren't.
    nospam, Dec 24, 2008
    #17
  18. Neil Jones wrote:
    > harikeo wrote:
    >> harikeo wrote:
    >>> Neil Jones wrote:
    >>>> Always Has An Opinion wrote:
    >>>>> Go cheap. Photoshop CS2 (if you can find it) or CS3 will be
    >>>>> sufficient. There's a ton of plugins which make things easier, but
    >>>>> I've never needed them. I've retouched photos, created 3D art and
    >>>>> much more with just the basic package.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> You can find a lot of tutorials on YouTube as well.
    >>>>
    >>>> Great idea! I went to Amazon and looked up for CS3 but found that it
    >>>> costs as much as CS4 (even in the used section). They were listed at
    >>>> $649 (USD). Some of the craigslist sellers listed it for $100 to $150.
    >>>> I don't know if these are bootlegged packed with trojans in them. I am
    >>>> suspicious because of the price difference between the new version and
    >>>> used version.
    >>>>
    >>>> What are some good sources to buy cheap/used software like CS3?
    >>>>
    >>>> Thank you once again.
    >>>>
    >>>> NJ
    >>> Howabout Photoshop Elements 7 unless you want/need the full-blown PS CSx?
    >>>
    >>> <mind the rap on the earl>
    >>>
    >>> http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-6502661...sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1230128042&sr=8-1
    >>>
    >>>

    >> I forgot to mention Gimp 2 which is free http://www.gimp.org/

    >
    > I do have GIMP 2 but haven't done much with it. Photoshop seems to be
    > have a big following and easier to get some help.
    >
    > NJ
    >
    > PS - My digital camera also comes with some software which most people
    > (including myself) haven't heard of before. The software seems to be ok
    > but difficult to get any help.

    Big following does not necessarily equate to being the right software
    package for you. Photoshop and GIMP are both very powerful packages in
    the right hands. GIMP is open source and FREE. It has a huge following
    in the Linux world and there is lots of support. It lacks some of the
    capabilities of Photoshop, but I doubt you would notice.
    Some other Free, donation supported, or open source packages are:
    Faststone viewer: http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm combines
    viewing and simple editing functions. Better functionality than
    irfanview http://www.irfanview.com/ for most things. Both should be
    part of your toolkit.
    If you shoot RAW, consider Raw Therapee
    http://www.rawtherapee.com/?mitem=2 This is a relative new donationware
    package that is under heavy development. The latest beta release is
    very stable and very competitive with commercial packages.

    The above packages are FREE, but that should not be equated with low
    quality. Even though they are FREE, if you find them useful, please
    consider making a donation to help the developers.

    Clair
    Clair Johnston, Dec 24, 2008
    #18
  19. Neil Jones

    Matt Ion Guest

    John Navas wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 14:52:48 -0500, Clair Johnston
    > <> wrote in
    > <Wmw4l.12014$>:
    >
    >> ... Photoshop and GIMP are both very powerful packages in
    >> the right hands. GIMP is open source and FREE. It has a huge following
    >> in the Linux world and there is lots of support. It lacks some of the
    >> capabilities of Photoshop, but I doubt you would notice.

    >
    > The other issue is that many people, me included, find the GIMP
    > interface to be unintuitive to the point of pain. While the GIMP is
    > quite powerful and free, I'll think you'll find the interface in
    > Photoshop Elements much easier, and it can be found for under $30.
    > (See link in my earlier post.)


    Similarly, I find the Photoshop interface rather unintuitive, at least
    compared to Paintshop Pro. That's why it's nice that there's options
    out there... and also why all these packages offer FREE DEMO VERSIONS so
    you can try them out before dropping your money on them.

    As with choosing a camera, the package that's best FOR YOU is the one
    that you're going to use... and that will be the one you're most
    comfortable with.

    Take all the suggestions here with a grain of salt... then give them all
    a test drive and see which YOU prefer.
    Matt Ion, Dec 24, 2008
    #19
  20. Good morning everyone...

    As a Linux/Gimp-User I can't stand back here...

    Matt Ion schrieb:
    > John Navas wrote:
    >> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 14:52:48 -0500, Clair Johnston
    >>> ... Photoshop and GIMP are both very powerful packages in the right
    >>> hands. GIMP is open source and FREE. It has a huge following in the
    >>> Linux world and there is lots of support. It lacks some of the
    >>> capabilities of Photoshop, but I doubt you would notice.

    >>

    I know that Photoshop has tools and possibilities that Gimp does not
    have... but in my daily work with gimp I dod not realize that i'm
    missing a lot...

    >> The other issue is that many people, me included, find the GIMP
    >> interface to be unintuitive to the point of pain. While the GIMP is
    >> quite powerful and free, I'll think you'll find the interface in
    >> Photoshop Elements much easier, and it can be found for under $30.
    >> (See link in my earlier post.)

    >

    Can't argue that since I don't know Photoshop Elements...

    > Similarly, I find the Photoshop interface rather unintuitive, at least
    > compared to Paintshop Pro.


    fun... I sometimes have to work with PSP. And I have to say: I just
    can't work with this stuff. It's unintuitive in a way for me that I just
    can't work with it! Maybe my intuitivity is crippled by using The Gimp
    too much :)
    Maybe it is, that many people are refering to older versions of The Gimp
    which has made huge steps forward in usability since the last few
    versions...

    > That's why it's nice that there's options
    > out there... and also why all these packages offer FREE DEMO VERSIONS so
    > you can try them out before dropping your money on them.
    >

    Right. And really try all possibilities. Just because you struggle with
    the first one you try, it does not mean that the others are better.
    Photo-Editing is a bit of a pain in the beginning with every software I
    think.

    > As with choosing a camera, the package that's best FOR YOU is the one
    > that you're going to use... and that will be the one you're most
    > comfortable with.
    >

    I can only agree on that. Finally some wise words in a NG. Thanx!

    > Take all the suggestions here with a grain of salt... then give them all
    > a test drive and see which YOU prefer.


    And most important: Enjoy your pictures! Do not beat the fun down with
    technobabble.

    kruemi

    --
    Dimage A2, Agfa isolette
    http://flickr.com/photos/kruemi
    And a cool timekiller: http://www.starpirates.net/register.php?referer=9708
    Marco Tedaldi, Dec 24, 2008
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Fuzzy Logic

    adobe photoshop 7.0 vs photoshop cs

    Fuzzy Logic, Dec 23, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    3,820
  2. Bryce
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    437
    Bryce
    Aug 21, 2003
  3. RoundSquare

    Photoshop books any recommendations

    RoundSquare, Jan 26, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    296
    Steven Campbell
    Jan 29, 2006
  4. Summer Wind

    PhotoShop Training/Books -- Recommendations Sought

    Summer Wind, Dec 6, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    269
    Wayne J. Cosshall
    Dec 6, 2006
  5. Tim

    Photoshop book recommendations

    Tim, Dec 14, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    470
    Ockham's Razor
    Dec 17, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page