    I can transfer the actions but how does one go about transferring my NIK
    software etc - or do I have to reinstall it to link with PS CS6?

    Thanks

    Rob, Aug 18, 2012

  2. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 18/08/2012 5:21 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-08-17 23:47:10 -0700, Rob <> said:
    >

    >> I'm using Photoshop CS5 and have just installed Photoshop CS6.
    >>
    >> There are a number of plugins and actions which need to be transferred
    >> to CS6 how do yo do that so they come up in the CS6 menus?
    >>
    >> I can transfer the actions but how does one go about transferring my
    >> NIK software etc - or do I have to reinstall it to link with PS CS6?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > I am running CS5 on a Mac and haven't upgraded to CS6. That said you
    > should have no major issues with NIK SW on a Windows machine or Mac..
    >
    > With NIK plugins use your original discs, or the latest update download
    > you have. Run the installer for each plugin you have. The installer
    > should detect the new CS6 install and place the plugin in the
    > appropriate locations. For example HDR Efex Pro, will install in CS6,
    > Bridge, Lightroom, and a stand alone.
    > Sometimes there can be conflicts, Viveza and Color Efex Pro are probably
    > best to uninstall first, then run the installer. Doing this you will
    > probably have to re-type your product key when you first run any of the
    > plugins. They will usually install wherever they are needed.
    >
    > The stand alone versions should still be accessible as they always were.

    Thanks that is what I was sort of expecting - not like plugins which can
    just be dragged over.

    Rob, Aug 18, 2012

  3. Rob

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/18/2012 7:12 AM, Rob wrote:
    > On 18/08/2012 5:21 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >> On 2012-08-17 23:47:10 -0700, Rob <> said:
    >>

    >>> I'm using Photoshop CS5 and have just installed Photoshop CS6.
    >>>
    >>> There are a number of plugins and actions which need to be transferred
    >>> to CS6 how do yo do that so they come up in the CS6 menus?
    >>>
    >>> I can transfer the actions but how does one go about transferring my
    >>> NIK software etc - or do I have to reinstall it to link with PS CS6?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> I am running CS5 on a Mac and haven't upgraded to CS6. That said you
    >> should have no major issues with NIK SW on a Windows machine or Mac..
    >>
    >> With NIK plugins use your original discs, or the latest update download
    >> you have. Run the installer for each plugin you have. The installer
    >> should detect the new CS6 install and place the plugin in the
    >> appropriate locations. For example HDR Efex Pro, will install in CS6,
    >> Bridge, Lightroom, and a stand alone.
    >> Sometimes there can be conflicts, Viveza and Color Efex Pro are probably
    >> best to uninstall first, then run the installer. Doing this you will
    >> probably have to re-type your product key when you first run any of the
    >> plugins. They will usually install wherever they are needed.
    >>
    >> The stand alone versions should still be accessible as they always were.
    >>

    > Thanks that is what I was sort of expecting - not like plugins which can
    > just be dragged over.

    Don't drag the plugins. Some will work, some will not.

    <http://forums.adobe.com/message/4430347>

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Aug 18, 2012
  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 18/08/2012 9:27 PM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 8/18/2012 7:12 AM, Rob wrote:

    >>> I am running CS5 on a Mac and haven't upgraded to CS6. That said you
    >>> should have no major issues with NIK SW on a Windows machine or Mac..
    >>>
    >>> With NIK plugins use your original discs, or the latest update download
    >>> you have. Run the installer for each plugin you have. The installer
    >>> should detect the new CS6 install and place the plugin in the
    >>> appropriate locations. For example HDR Efex Pro, will install in CS6,
    >>> Bridge, Lightroom, and a stand alone.
    >>> Sometimes there can be conflicts, Viveza and Color Efex Pro are probably
    >>> best to uninstall first, then run the installer. Doing this you will
    >>> probably have to re-type your product key when you first run any of the
    >>> plugins. They will usually install wherever they are needed.
    >>>
    >>> The stand alone versions should still be accessible as they always were.
    >>>

    >> Thanks that is what I was sort of expecting - not like plugins which can
    >> just be dragged over.

    > Don't drag the plugins. Some will work, some will not.
    >
    > <http://forums.adobe.com/message/4430347>

    thanks sort of transferred some plugins before, I do have the plugin
    downloaded files and just have to click on the required plugin and that
    will find the correct folder without too much trouble.

    Until I can find where they all are, have just uninstalled CS6 as I'm
    working on a couple of files. CS6 Took over as the default nor could I
    boot CS5, so I didn't have access to the actions/plugs. One in
    particular I need is onOne perfect resize 7.0 to create the wrap on
    canvas prints.

    I can live with CS5

    Rob, Aug 18, 2012
  5. Rob

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/18/2012 8:47 AM, Rob wrote:
    > On 18/08/2012 9:27 PM, PeterN wrote:

    >>> Thanks that is what I was sort of expecting - not like plugins which can
    >>> just be dragged over.

    >> Don't drag the plugins. Some will work, some will not.
    >>
    >> <http://forums.adobe.com/message/4430347>
    >>

    > thanks sort of transferred some plugins before, I do have the plugin
    > downloaded files and just have to click on the required plugin and that
    > will find the correct folder without too much trouble.
    >
    > Until I can find where they all are, have just uninstalled CS6 as I'm
    > working on a couple of files. CS6 Took over as the default nor could I
    > boot CS5, so I didn't have access to the actions/plugs. One in
    > particular I need is onOne perfect resize 7.0 to create the wrap on
    > canvas prints.
    >
    > I can live with CS5

    Upgrading issues I have had, and solved. (Windows 7)
    CS6 was working perfectly, so I uninstalled CS5. After the uninstall, I
    could not open ay files. For some reason Bridge was looking for CS3. I
    reset the defaults in my file association and all is well.
    I had to reinstall my OnOne and Topaz software, from the original discs.
    (A real PITA as Topaz requires a separate reinstall for each portion of
    the suite. Perfect Resize now runs fine.
    Some of my plugins don't work with 64 bit PS, so I also had to do the
    reinstalls with the 32 bit version.

    On my laptop, the upgrade, (Vista)
    The only issue I had was when trying to open CS5, I got CS6. Not a big
    deal, as I simply transferred the plugins.
    I upgraded to CS6, because of the improved ACR, blur filters, and
    content aware functions. For me it was worth the price.

    I had that issue on my laptop.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Aug 18, 2012
  6. Rob

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/18/2012 9:18 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-08-18 05:47:29 -0700, Rob <> said:

    >>> Don't drag the plugins. Some will work, some will not.
    >>>
    >>> <http://forums.adobe.com/message/4430347>
    >>>

    >> thanks sort of transferred some plugins before, I do have the plugin
    >> downloaded files and just have to click on the required plugin and
    >> that will find the correct folder without too much trouble.
    >>
    >> Until I can find where they all are, have just uninstalled CS6 as I'm
    >> working on a couple of files. CS6 Took over as the default nor could I
    >> boot CS5, so I didn't have access to the actions/plugs. One in
    >> particular I need is onOne perfect resize 7.0 to create the wrap on
    >> canvas prints.
    >>
    >> I can live with CS5

    > OnOne Perfect Resize, formerly "Genuine Fractals", is also a stand alone
    > and all the adjustments can be made without opening either CS5 or CS6.
    >
    > You should have that stand alone version somewhere on your HD.

    I prefer it as a plug-in. Also, because it will try to resharpen every
    layer, I sometimes create a new file and then apply. It runs much faster
    and I can easily play with the effects of any over-sharpening.
    Peter

    PeterN, Aug 18, 2012
  7. Rob

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/18/2012 10:36 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-08-18 07:17:23 -0700, PeterN <> said:

    >>> OnOne Perfect Resize, formerly "Genuine Fractals", is also a stand alone
    >>> and all the adjustments can be made without opening either CS5 or CS6.
    >>>
    >>> You should have that stand alone version somewhere on your HD.
    >>>

    >> I prefer it as a plug-in. Also, because it will try to resharpen
    >> every layer, I sometimes create a new file and then apply. It runs
    >> much faster and I can easily play with the effects of any
    >> over-sharpening.
    >> Peter

    > Agreed.
    > I was just commenting that the stand alone version should be there if he
    > needs it. Better to make the reinstall. For now I am quite happy with CS5.
    >
    > I also agree with regard to the particular sharpening algorithm Perfect
    > Resize uses. I dial it down completely.

    If it works, don't fix it. I stated my reasons for the upgrade earlier.
    also, and this may be wishful thinking, The 64 bit version of CS6 seems
    to run faster than CS5.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Aug 18, 2012
  8. Rob

    nospam Guest

    In article <k0ndps$32u$>, Rob <>
    wrote:

    > I'm using Photoshop CS5 and have just installed Photoshop CS6.
    >
    > There are a number of plugins and actions which need to be transferred
    > to CS6 how do yo do that so they come up in the CS6 menus?

    dragging works for the vast majority of plug-ins. the ones that don't
    you just reinstall.

    you'll find the plug-ins in the plug-in folder in the photoshop folder.
    you might want to make a copy rather than move them, because if you
    move them, they won't be available for cs5 anymore. if you don't plan
    to use the plug-ins with cs5, just move them and save disk space (not
    that they're very big).

    some plug-ins do non-standard things and will require a reinstall. it's
    best to avoid these types of plug-ins. they're the ones with the most
    compatibility issues. you'll find out which ones those are very
    quickly.

    you can also set cs6 to point to cs5's plug-in folder but that's
    generally not a good idea.

    also keep in mind that some plug-ins may need to be updated to newer
    versions. chances are that won't be an issue, since most of the major
    changes have already been worked out. 32/64 bit and powerpc/intel were
    issues several years ago, not so much now. there may still be a few
    laggards.

    > I can transfer the actions but how does one go about transferring my NIK
    > software etc - or do I have to reinstall it to link with PS CS6?

    you probably will want to reinstall nik. their install is non-standard.

    nospam, Aug 18, 2012
  9. Rob

    nospam Guest

    In article <k0o2tf$4pg$>, Rob <>
    wrote:

    > Until I can find where they all are,

    they're in the plug-ins folder in the photoshop folder, unless you've
    set an alternate plug-in folder (most people don't).

    > have just uninstalled CS6 as I'm
    > working on a couple of files. CS6 Took over as the default nor could I
    > boot CS5, so I didn't have access to the actions/plugs.

    something is wrong. you can install and run multiple versions of
    photoshop. i once had 4 versions installed at the same time when i was
    writing plug-ins.

    as for the plug-ins, they're in cs5's plug-in folder. drag them to
    cs6's plug-in folder and you'll have access again. as mentioned before,
    some might need a reinstall but that's the exception, not the rule.

    nospam, Aug 18, 2012
  10. Rob

    nospam Guest

    In article <502f7c37$0$6525$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > Don't drag the plugins. Some will work, some will not.

    most will work just fine. the ones that don't can be reinstalled. big
    deal.

    nospam, Aug 18, 2012
  11. Rob

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 08:59:03 -0700, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <k0o2tf$4pg$>, Rob <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> Until I can find where they all are,

    >they're in the plug-ins folder in the photoshop folder, unless you've
    >set an alternate plug-in folder (most people don't).
    >
    >> have just uninstalled CS6 as I'm
    >> working on a couple of files. CS6 Took over as the default nor could I
    >> boot CS5, so I didn't have access to the actions/plugs.

    >something is wrong. you can install and run multiple versions of
    >photoshop. i once had 4 versions installed at the same time when i was
    >writing plug-ins.

    I agree. I have PS 7.0 and CS4. Both open. I thought I still had PS
    5.0, but that must have remained on the old computer.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 18, 2012
  12. Rob

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/18/2012 11:59 AM, nospam wrote:
    > In article <502f7c37$0$6525$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Don't drag the plugins. Some will work, some will not.

    > most will work just fine. the ones that don't can be reinstalled. big
    > deal.

    So you have re engineered Adobe's advice.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Aug 18, 2012
  13. Rob

    nospam Guest

    In article <502ffc9b$0$6483$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > >> Don't drag the plugins. Some will work, some will not.

    > > most will work just fine. the ones that don't can be reinstalled. big
    > > deal.

    > So you have re engineered Adobe's advice.

    not at all.

    nospam, Aug 19, 2012
  14. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 19/08/2012 12:36 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-08-18 07:17:23 -0700, PeterN <> said:

    >>> OnOne Perfect Resize, formerly "Genuine Fractals", is also a stand alone
    >>> and all the adjustments can be made without opening either CS5 or CS6.
    >>>
    >>> You should have that stand alone version somewhere on your HD.
    >>>

    >> I prefer it as a plug-in. Also, because it will try to resharpen
    >> every layer, I sometimes create a new file and then apply. It runs
    >> much faster and I can easily play with the effects of any
    >> over-sharpening.
    >> Peter

    > Agreed.
    > I was just commenting that the stand alone version should be there if he
    > needs it. Better to make the reinstall. For now I am quite happy with CS5.
    >
    > I also agree with regard to the particular sharpening algorithm Perfect
    > Resize uses. I dial it down completely.

    I only use OnOne for the wrap on canvas prints. This needs to be
    accurate so I measure the frame first resize image then apply wrap.

    Rob, Aug 19, 2012
  15. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 19/08/2012 1:59 AM, nospam wrote:
    > In article <k0o2tf$4pg$>, Rob <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Until I can find where they all are,

    > they're in the plug-ins folder in the photoshop folder, unless you've
    > set an alternate plug-in folder (most people don't).
    >
    >> have just uninstalled CS6 as I'm
    >> working on a couple of files. CS6 Took over as the default nor could I
    >> boot CS5, so I didn't have access to the actions/plugs.

    > something is wrong. you can install and run multiple versions of
    > photoshop. i once had 4 versions installed at the same time when i was
    > writing plug-ins.

    yes I have had two versions running unfortunately for some reason not
    this time.

    Till I can sort all the plugins out was intending to use both versions.
    I didn't want to interrupt my work flow so abruptly. Adding what became
    necessary as I progress along the learning curve.

    My computer file system is in a mess as to where the original programmes
    have been stored folders/sub folders new/updates etc. Although not that
    bad. So are on a backup HDD. This computer has an accumulation of over
    two years stuff.

    > as for the plug-ins, they're in cs5's plug-in folder. drag them to
    > cs6's plug-in folder and you'll have access again. as mentioned before,
    > some might need a reinstall but that's the exception, not the rule.

    I have actions to sort as well.

    Rob, Aug 19, 2012
  16. Rob

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/18/2012 8:08 PM, nospam wrote:

    >>> most will work just fine. the ones that don't can be reinstalled. big
    >>> deal.

    >> So you have re engineered Adobe's advice.

    > not at all.

    For some strange reason, I trust the conclusion drawn by Adobe, more
    than yours. Why do y0ou suppose that is?

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Aug 19, 2012
  17. Rob

    nospam Guest

    In article <503069ca$0$6501$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > >> So you have re engineered Adobe's advice.

    > > not at all.

    > For some strange reason, I trust the conclusion drawn by Adobe, more
    > than yours. Why do y0ou suppose that is?

    because you don't understand what it is you're reading.

    all adobe is saying is it's safest to reinstall. that's true, it is the
    safest.

    that doesn't mean that other methods will result in problems. they
    *might*, but they probably won't.

    as i said, dragging plug-ins from one folder to another is all that's
    needed most of the time, and in the event a plug-in doesn't work after
    dragging, you can reinstall *that* particular one. no need to reinstall
    all of them if you don't have to.

    but if you want to play it safe and make more work for yourself, feel
    free to reinstall everything. it won't hurt.

    nospam, Aug 20, 2012