    reading for many hours now.
    Obviously I'm missing something that someone in here will
    instantly know the answer to :)

    Nick, Jan 10, 2006

  2. Nick

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message
    news:9RWwf.13897$...
    > Using Photoshop 6.0, I wish to alter many pictures by using a mask which I
    > have saved as an Alpha Channel. But how, when editing a picture, do I
    > retrieve that mask?
    > If I use the Lasso Tool, I can make a mask which I can move around the
    > picture. But I don't want to keep using the Lasso tool to keep drawing the
    > same very complicated mask. I wish to retrieve my saved mask while editing
    > a picture so that I can do the same thing as the Lasso Tool does.
    > What I need is "load mask from alpha channel" but I can't find it.
    > I cannot follow the instructions in the manual which I have been reading
    > for many hours now.
    > Obviously I'm missing something that someone in here will instantly know
    > the answer to :)

    If I'm understanding this right, you want the "select layer transparency"
    option. Right-click on the thumbnail in the layer list to find it...
    alternatively try "load selection" in the "select" menu. (Note: that's in
    Photoshop 7 - I'm not sure if it's changed since version 6).

    Rich Wilson, Jan 10, 2006

  3. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Rich Wilson wrote:

    > "Nick" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Using Photoshop 6.0, I wish to alter many pictures by using a mask which I
    >>have saved as an Alpha Channel. But how, when editing a picture, do I
    >>retrieve that mask?
    >>If I use the Lasso Tool, I can make a mask which I can move around the
    >>picture. But I don't want to keep using the Lasso tool to keep drawing the
    >>same very complicated mask. I wish to retrieve my saved mask while editing
    >>a picture so that I can do the same thing as the Lasso Tool does.
    >>What I need is "load mask from alpha channel" but I can't find it.
    >>I cannot follow the instructions in the manual which I have been reading
    >>for many hours now.
    >>Obviously I'm missing something that someone in here will instantly know
    >>the answer to :)

    > If I'm understanding this right, you want the "select layer transparency"
    > option. Right-click on the thumbnail in the layer list to find it...
    > alternatively try "load selection" in the "select" menu. (Note: that's in
    > Photoshop 7 - I'm not sure if it's changed since version 6).

    But both of those are greyed out and cannot be selected.
    Starting from having the two pictures (the picture to be changed,
    and the mask picture) what is the easiest way to get the mask on
    to the picture to be changed?

    Nick, Jan 10, 2006
  4. Nick

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message
    > Rich Wilson wrote:
    >
    >> "Nick" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Using Photoshop 6.0, I wish to alter many pictures by using a mask which
    >>>I have saved as an Alpha Channel. But how, when editing a picture, do I
    >>>retrieve that mask?
    >>>If I use the Lasso Tool, I can make a mask which I can move around the
    >>>picture. But I don't want to keep using the Lasso tool to keep drawing
    >>>the same very complicated mask. I wish to retrieve my saved mask while
    >>>editing a picture so that I can do the same thing as the Lasso Tool does.
    >>>What I need is "load mask from alpha channel" but I can't find it.
    >>>I cannot follow the instructions in the manual which I have been reading
    >>>for many hours now.
    >>>Obviously I'm missing something that someone in here will instantly know
    >>>the answer to :)

    >> If I'm understanding this right, you want the "select layer transparency"
    >> option. Right-click on the thumbnail in the layer list to find it...
    >> alternatively try "load selection" in the "select" menu. (Note: that's in
    >> Photoshop 7 - I'm not sure if it's changed since version 6).

    > But both of those are greyed out and cannot be selected.
    > Starting from having the two pictures (the picture to be changed, and the
    > mask picture) what is the easiest way to get the mask on to the picture to
    > be changed?

    Erm... what EXACTLY are you starting with? I'd assume your mask picture
    contains one layer, part of which is transparent, in which case the option
    should be available. Or am I missing something?

    Rich Wilson, Jan 10, 2006
  5. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Rich Wilson wrote:

    > "Nick" <> wrote in message

    >>Starting from having the two pictures (the picture to be changed, and the
    >>mask picture) what is the easiest way to get the mask on to the picture to
    >>be changed?

    > Erm... what EXACTLY are you starting with? I'd assume your mask picture
    > contains one layer, part of which is transparent, in which case the option
    > should be available. Or am I missing something?

    I have discovered the solution. The mask may be dragged from the
    mask picture to the picture that I am editing, as long as I
    select Lasso mode beforehand. Of course the manual doesn't say that.
    But thanks anyway. I knew it had to be simple.
    I and other people that I know don't think the same way as the
    Photoshop designers.

    Nick, Jan 11, 2006
  6. Nick

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:3UZwf.13943$,
    Nick spewed forth:
    > Rich Wilson wrote:
    >
    >> "Nick" <> wrote in message

    >>> Starting from having the two pictures (the picture to be changed,
    >>> and the mask picture) what is the easiest way to get the mask on to
    >>> the picture to be changed?

    >> Erm... what EXACTLY are you starting with? I'd assume your mask
    >> picture contains one layer, part of which is transparent, in which
    >> case the option should be available. Or am I missing something?

    > I have discovered the solution. The mask may be dragged from the
    > mask picture to the picture that I am editing, as long as I
    > select Lasso mode beforehand. Of course the manual doesn't say that.
    > But thanks anyway. I knew it had to be simple.
    > I and other people that I know don't think the same way as the
    > Photoshop designers.

    Yeah - add my name to that list. I'm forcing myself to use it more, but it
    definately doesn't seem intuitive to me.

    --
    Pursuant to Public Law No 109-162 I hereby certify, assert, testify,
    warrant, and affirm that it is not (nor has it ever been) my intent,

    Toolman Tim, Jan 11, 2006
  7. Nick

    samuel Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > In news:3UZwf.13943$,
    > Nick spewed forth:
    >> Rich Wilson wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Nick" <> wrote in message

    >>> Erm... what EXACTLY are you starting with? I'd assume your
    >>> mask picture contains one layer, part of which is
    >>> transparent, in which case the option should be available.
    >>> Or am I missing something?

    >> I have discovered the solution. The mask may be dragged from
    >> the mask picture to the picture that I am editing, as long as
    >> I select Lasso mode beforehand. Of course the manual doesn't
    >> say that. But thanks anyway. I knew it had to be simple.
    >> I and other people that I know don't think the same way as
    >> the Photoshop designers.

    > Yeah - add my name to that list. I'm forcing myself to use it
    > more, but it definately doesn't seem intuitive to me.

    try photofiltre nice free small

    samuel, Jan 11, 2006
  8. Nick

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message
    > Rich Wilson wrote:
    >
    >> "Nick" <> wrote in message

    >>>Starting from having the two pictures (the picture to be changed, and the
    >>>mask picture) what is the easiest way to get the mask on to the picture
    >>>to be changed?

    >> Erm... what EXACTLY are you starting with? I'd assume your mask picture
    >> contains one layer, part of which is transparent, in which case the
    >> option should be available. Or am I missing something?

    > I have discovered the solution. The mask may be dragged from the mask
    > picture to the picture that I am editing, as long as I select Lasso mode
    > beforehand. Of course the manual doesn't say that.
    > But thanks anyway. I knew it had to be simple.
    > I and other people that I know don't think the same way as the Photoshop
    > designers.

    I take it by "mask" you mean selection. I'd probably have done this by
    making a new layer, filling the selection with a solid colour, copying that
    layer to the other image and using the "select layer transparency" option.
    If you've got it on a layer it's more difficult to lose!
    Also there's the "save selection" command in the "select" menu.

    Rich Wilson, Jan 11, 2006
  9. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Rich Wilson wrote:
    > "Nick" <> wrote in message

    >>I have discovered the solution. The mask may be dragged from the mask
    >>picture to the picture that I am editing, as long as I select Lasso mode
    >>beforehand. Of course the manual doesn't say that.

    > I take it by "mask" you mean selection. I'd probably have done this by
    > making a new layer, filling the selection with a solid colour, copying that
    > layer to the other image and using the "select layer transparency" option.
    > If you've got it on a layer it's more difficult to lose!
    > Also there's the "save selection" command in the "select" menu.

    No I do not want to work with a selection in this case, and I
    certainly do not want to save a selection. I can now do what I
    want with two clicks (Lasso and drag between pictures).

    Part of the problem is that Photoshop have renamed many things
    from Photostyler that I also use.
    I don't know what others call things but as I see it, when I
    "select an arbitrarily shaped area" (Photostyler) or use Lasso
    (Photoshop), I'm calling that a mask. I can move that mask around
    the picture or even between pictures, without moving the picture
    within it or copying any data.

    When I include the picture within the mask, I am calling that a
    selection.
    I have made a picture that has a white part that looks like the
    mask I want, and the rest is black.
    Photoshop allows me to make a mask that shape, and copy that mask
    to another picture that needs editing.
    If I copied the selection instead of the mask, I would be copying
    a great white blob together with the mask, which is not what I
    want to do. I just want to copy that little flashing dotted line
    instead, from my saved mask to the picture that needs editing.
    I do not want to copy any data while doing that.

    It all works now. The Photoshop manual, like most manuals, is
    totally inadequate, and misses out vital steps in their
    explanations. They explain other trivial things that don't need
    explaining, and that clutters up the manual.
    They have tiny meaningless icons, and if there is a small help
    window, this takes several seconds to appear, even though my
    computer can do millions of instructions per second. Probably
    some idiot programmer has decided on a delay for some stupid reason.

    Perhaps I have discovered some unknown feature of Photoshop.
    This "saved mask" is the only feature that I use. Then I go back
    to Photostyler or other software to finish the editing. It's
    quicker that way.

    Nick, Jan 11, 2006
  10. Nick

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message
    > Rich Wilson wrote:
    >> "Nick" <> wrote in message

    >>>I have discovered the solution. The mask may be dragged from the mask
    >>>picture to the picture that I am editing, as long as I select Lasso mode
    >>>beforehand. Of course the manual doesn't say that.

    >> I take it by "mask" you mean selection. I'd probably have done this by
    >> making a new layer, filling the selection with a solid colour, copying
    >> that layer to the other image and using the "select layer transparency"
    >> option. If you've got it on a layer it's more difficult to lose!
    >> Also there's the "save selection" command in the "select" menu.

    > No I do not want to work with a selection in this case, and I certainly do
    > not want to save a selection. I can now do what I want with two clicks
    > (Lasso and drag between pictures).
    >
    > Part of the problem is that Photoshop have renamed many things from
    > Photostyler that I also use.
    > I don't know what others call things but as I see it, when I "select an
    > arbitrarily shaped area" (Photostyler) or use Lasso (Photoshop), I'm
    > calling that a mask.

    Don't! A mask is something completely different - it's a monochrome image
    used to define the transparency of a layer.

    > I can move that mask around the picture or even between pictures, without
    > moving the picture within it or copying any data.
    >
    > When I include the picture within the mask, I am calling that a selection.

    Nope, a selection is what you're calling a mask! What you're calling a
    selection would probably be called the "selected area of the image" or
    something like that.

    > I have made a picture that has a white part that looks like the mask I
    > want, and the rest is black.

    OK, the image you've made there would be perfect for using as a layer mask.

    > Photoshop allows me to make a mask that shape, and copy that mask to
    > another picture that needs editing.
    > If I copied the selection instead of the mask, I would be copying a great
    > white blob together with the mask, which is not what I want to do. I just
    > want to copy that little flashing dotted line instead, from my saved mask
    > to the picture that needs editing.
    > I do not want to copy any data while doing that.
    >
    > It all works now. The Photoshop manual, like most manuals, is totally
    > inadequate, and misses out vital steps in their explanations. They explain
    > other trivial things that don't need explaining, and that clutters up the
    > manual.
    > They have tiny meaningless icons, and if there is a small help window,
    > this takes several seconds to appear, even though my computer can do
    > millions of instructions per second. Probably some idiot programmer has
    > decided on a delay for some stupid reason.

    I have to agree... I can't remember ever finding anything useful at all in
    the Photoshop help file.

    > Perhaps I have discovered some unknown feature of Photoshop.

    Well it's new to me but it's definitely one I'll remember.

    Rich Wilson, Jan 11, 2006