    What is wrong, is it a setting on my computer or a fault with the camera?
    Other peoples digital pictures seem much better than mine and don't exhibit
    this problem.

    Paul Reading, Oct 17, 2003

  2. Paul Reading

    CSM1 Guest

    "Paul Reading" <> wrote in message
    news:BBB5E877.4BE68%...
    > I have a Panasonic LC20 and when I download any pictures from it to my
    > computer I have to correct the levels. Have a look at this screen cap to

    see
    > my problem http://www.cp-lighting.co.uk/Grab.jpg
    >
    > What is wrong, is it a setting on my computer or a fault with the camera?
    > Other peoples digital pictures seem much better than mine and don't

    exhibit
    > this problem.

    That image is under exposed. Check your Exposure Compensation. See
    Compensating the Exposure in your manual.
    On a guess, I would say about one step (stop) under exposed.

    If you are using flash, you are too far from the subject.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1, Oct 17, 2003

  3. Paul Reading

    Flycaster Guest

    > I have a Panasonic LC20 and when I download any pictures from it to my
    > computer I have to correct the levels. Have a look at this screen cap to

    see
    > my problem http://www.cp-lighting.co.uk/Grab.jpg
    >
    > What is wrong, is it a setting on my computer or a fault with the camera?
    > Other peoples digital pictures seem much better than mine and don't

    exhibit
    > this problem.

    While it might be about a stop under, I don't see any "problem." What you
    see in the histogram shows that you have captured everything you need (the
    slight clipping of the black shirt is perfectly OK) so why don't you simply
    slide the highlight input down (and toggle ALT) until you just see a trace
    of specular clipping - it's all there...just expand the tonal range.

    As to whether or not you may have inadvertantly toggled a negative exposure
    compensation on your camera is another issue, but this image is fine.
    Irrespective, you've obviously got Photoshop or PS Elements, so don't be
    afraid to use it. If you get proficient with it, I guarantee your photos
    will seem much better than other people's...provided you start with good
    images, of course!

    Flycaster, Oct 18, 2003
  4. Paul Reading

    Ed Bigelow Guest

    Looks like a normal shot, slightly underexposed, which IMHO is preferrable
    for all digital sunlit shots, but not necessarily for interior or flash
    shots.

    For my purposes, all exterior sunlit shots are set to -2/3 stop.

    Also suggest you experiment with PhotoShop's "auto levels"?

    Ed

    Ed Bigelow, Oct 18, 2003
  5. Paul Reading

    Paul Reading Guest

    Well underexposed it is but I can't set the compensation, I have to adjust
    it every time. I don't really want to have to go through every image
    manually changing the levels.

    I guess I'll have to get a Nikon next time.

    Paul Reading, Oct 31, 2003