    pro? price seems to be comparable. i know there will be a learning curve with
    either. which is a better investment of my time to learn. thanx for any input.
    peter

    PrincePete01, Jul 14, 2003

  2. PrincePete01

    Kenwood Guest

    I was a PaintShop Pro advocate for many many years.
    There is a definite learning curve for Photoshop, but the rewards are well
    worth
    learning it. I still use Photoshop, but not for the high end editing that I
    do with levels, curves, layers, layer masks and custom actions. You will
    find more "HOW TO" help on the net for photoshop as well.

    Paintshop does hold it's own against other editors but it is no comparison
    to Photoshop because they are in two different classes.

    "PrincePete01" <> wrote in message
    > not looking to get into full blown photoshop. is "le" better than

    paintshop

    Kenwood, Jul 14, 2003

  3. PrincePete01

    Frankhartx Guest

    > (PrincePete01)

    >not looking to get into full blown photoshop. is "le" better than paintshop

    NO

    Paint Shop Pro is better than LE and is the program with the most bang for the
    buck.

    Frankhartx, Jul 14, 2003
  4. [On 14 Jul 2003 04:44:21 GMT, ospam
    (PrincePete01) wrote:]

    > not looking to get into full blown photoshop. is "le" better than paintshop
    > pro? price seems to be comparable. i know there will be a learning curve with
    > either. which is a better investment of my time to learn. thanx for any input.

    Different horses. Very different.

    I have a fair amount of experience with Paintshop Pro and a
    little bit of experience with the full version of Photoshop --
    none ay all with the "LE" version, however, so please take
    this in that context.

    Based on what I've experienced myself and what you've said
    about yourself, my unhesitating recommendation would be for
    Paintshop Pro.

    Here's why:

    Photoshop is clearly the superior program. There's no
    question about that. It *is* the standard. If you want to
    get into swimming in the deep end of the pool, that *is* the
    way to go.

    But for most of us, wading around in the shallow end is quite
    enough. We might have ideas about doing more than that, but
    we aren't prepared to invest the amount of time that would be
    required to do so. Nor, frankly, do many of us have the
    talent.

    I found Photoshop to be excruciating to learn. Impossible,
    really. I know many people here have learned to use it -- and
    many of those many people with great success -- but I thought
    it was an incredible bitch. For me, Photoshop was a miserable
    experience. I didn't ever really use it. I hated it. It
    collected dust on my hard drive.

    I tend to assume that the "LE" version of Photoshop is a
    hobbled version of the full version. Perhaps it's better than
    that, but I wouldn't think so going in. My guess is that it
    is essentially intended to make you get hooked into wanting
    the full version.

    Which maybe you do. If so, then fair enough. That would be
    the way to go.

    But I would not buy the "LE" version unless I wanted to go
    there to begin with. Some people might see that as a path to
    future advancement; I see it as a way into an inevitable
    corner which offers only one way out.

    Paintshop Pro, on the other hand, is much friendlier turf on
    which to trend. It isn't by any means as good as Photoshop,
    but it doesn't pretend to be. Nor is it hobbled. It will do
    everything most of us will ever want to do -- and it will do
    those things well. It makes no excuses to anyone about what
    it will do

    If you want to get into "serious" editing, I would suggest you
    take five Valium pills and then go straight to the full
    version of Photoshop. Do not pass "Go" (that being the LE
    version).

    If you just want fool around, do some decent editting of your
    own, and have some fun, I'd get Paintshop. It's really very
    good. You can do more with it than you will ever likely need
    or want to do. And you will have the full version right from
    the start.

    Good luck!

    Harry

    The Other Harry, Jul 14, 2003
  5. The other thing is that I refuse to buy "lite" versions of
    programs anymore. I won't do it.

    Every one I've ever bought in the past has lacked one or more
    essential feature which has required purchasing the full
    version. I have spent hours and hours learning to use them,
    only to discover that I need to spend another $300 in order to
    do some basic function.

    Not for me...

    The Other Harry, Jul 14, 2003
  6. PrincePete01

    Mark B. Guest

    > not looking to get into full blown photoshop. is "le" better than

    paintshop
    > pro? price seems to be comparable. i know there will be a learning curve

    with
    > either. which is a better investment of my time to learn. thanx for any

    input.
    > peter

    Photoshop LE is a dead product, it's been replaced by Photoshop Elements -
    that's the one you want to compare to Paint Shop Pro.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jul 14, 2003
  7. PrincePete01

    m Guest

    On or around 14 Jul 2003 04:44:21 GMT, there was a message, possibly
    from ospam (PrincePete01), as follows:

    >not looking to get into full blown photoshop. is "le" better than paintshop
    >pro? price seems to be comparable. i know there will be a learning curve with
    >either. which is a better investment of my time to learn. thanx for any input.
    >peter

    le doesn't have the imageready stuff, so if you're going to the net,
    it's not the best choice.
    That's OK -- just download the Gimp for free (Windows or Linux).

    http://www.mbstevens.com/

    m, Jul 14, 2003
  8. PrincePete01

    Photon Guest

    > not looking to get into full blown photoshop. is "le" better than

    paintshop
    > pro? price seems to be comparable. i know there will be a learning curve

    with
    > either. which is a better investment of my time to learn. thanx for any

    input.
    > peter

    Peter, I use PaintShop Pro 6 (PSP) occasionally at work and Photoshop at
    home.

    Photoshop may be a bit more difficult to use but once you are used to it, it
    is difficult going back to something else. One thing I don't like in PSP is
    the lack of histogram in the levels dialog. It makes the exposure and
    contrast tweaking more difficult (I haven't checked later versions of PSP).
    PhotoShop is better in that respect.

    Photoshop LE was a limited version of Photoshop that used to be delivered
    free with scanners, printers... It was actually only very slightly limited
    (no support for channel splitting/combining...) compared to the full
    version. For photo retouching, I don't think the differences were really
    annoying. However, the last LE release is quite old now, dating from the
    Photoshop 5 era. I would NOT buy one.

    Photoshop LE has long been replaced by Photoshop Elements (now 2.0). It is
    no more strictly speaking a limited version of Photoshop, it is a different
    product with its own versions, sometimes even improving over Photoshop. But
    it still shares most of the interface of its bigger brother: I have used it
    occasionally and, being used to Photoshop, found my way very easily in the
    program. It is terrific value if you don't want to pay for Photoshop.

    Photon, Jul 14, 2003
  9. PrincePete01

    matthews Guest

    Photon wrote:
    > Peter, I use PaintShop Pro 6 (PSP) occasionally at work and Photoshop at
    > home.

    PSP 8 is tremendously improved over version 6. V6 was good for its
    time, but that has been a while.

    > Photoshop may be a bit more difficult to use but once you are used to it, it
    > is difficult going back to something else. One thing I don't like in PSP is
    > the lack of histogram in the levels dialog. It makes the exposure and
    > contrast tweaking more difficult (I haven't checked later versions of PSP).
    > PhotoShop is better in that respect.

    PSP 8 has an excellent histogram tool.

    > Photoshop LE has long been replaced by Photoshop Elements (now 2.0). It is
    > no more strictly speaking a limited version of Photoshop, it is a different
    > product with its own versions, sometimes even improving over Photoshop. But
    > it still shares most of the interface of its bigger brother: I have used it
    > occasionally and, being used to Photoshop, found my way very easily in the
    > program. It is terrific value if you don't want to pay for Photoshop.

    PSP 8 is much more powerful than elements. It is closer to
    Photoshop than to Photoshop Elements. Among the advantages
    over Elements are the more extensive layer capabilities.

    You can try PSP8 for 30 days for free. www.jasc.com.

    Rick

    matthews, Jul 14, 2003