    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
    Southern Kiwi, Aug 25, 2005

  2. Southern Kiwi

    Mike Dee Guest

    "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in
    news::

    > in .PSD format, I want to convert and
    > downscale the resolution into JPEG files without having to
    > re-install Photoshop? Prefer free program as I will only be using
    > it the once.

    The Gimp (Windows or Linux versions) is fine for this.

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Aug 25, 2005

  3. Mike Dee wrote:
    > "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >> in .PSD format, I want to convert and
    >> downscale the resolution into JPEG files without having to
    >> re-install Photoshop? Prefer free program as I will only be using
    >> it the once.

    > The Gimp (Windows or Linux versions) is fine for this.

    Ta

    --
    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
    Word of wisdom from high in the mountains....you know...like a
    Guru...but not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high... :)
    Southern Kiwi, Aug 25, 2005
  4. Southern Kiwi

    Chris Hope Guest

    Southern Kiwi wrote:

    > I have a whole heap (100 odd) photos in very high resolution (up to
    > 100mb
    > each (don't ask!)) in .PSD format, I want to convert and downscale
    > the resolution into JPEG files without having to re-install Photoshop?
    > Prefer free program as I will only be using it the once.

    You could try ImageMagick. It's a command line tool that has all sorts
    of image conversion functions.

    For example to convert from psd to jpg you'd do:
    convert -flatten foo.psd foo.jpg

    There's a -quality flag for setting the quality of the jpeg image.

    There are Windows binary releases as well as cygwin, *nix and source
    releases available.

    http://www.imagemagick.org/

    Chris Hope, Aug 25, 2005
  5. Southern Kiwi

    Dave Taylor Guest

    > I have a whole heap (100 odd) photos in very high resolution (up to

    100mb
    > each (don't ask!)) in .PSD format, I want to convert and downscale the
    > resolution into JPEG files without having to re-install Photoshop?
    > Prefer free program as I will only be using it the once.
    >

    > --
    > Cheers
    > Southern Kiwi
    > southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
    > Word of wisdom from high in the mountains....you know...like a

    Guru...but
    > not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high... :)

    Irfanview is a whole lot smaller for a job like this and supports batch
    conversion - folder to folder.
    http://www.irfanview.com/
    http://tucows.inspire.net.nz/files2/iview397.exe

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Aug 25, 2005
  6. Southern Kiwi

    Phstpok Guest

    Dave Taylor stubbed out the damp squib on 25/08/2005 10:27 p.m.and tried
    to bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:

    And I'm a staunch advocate of Polyview http://www.polybytes.com
    Phstpok, Aug 25, 2005
  7. Southern Kiwi

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > I have a whole heap (100 odd) photos in very high resolution (up to 100mb
    > each (don't ask!)) in .PSD format, I want to convert and downscale the
    > resolution into JPEG files without having to re-install Photoshop?
    > Prefer free program as I will only be using it the once.

    Irfanview will almost certainly do this, it is good for batch
    conversion, resampling and renaming and will also write IPTC data to
    your output jpgs.

    I *guarantee* you'll use irfanview more than once :)

    If you want to make management of the output files a little easier, also
    look at exifer for adding IPTC data, I've just gone through the process
    of uploading some images to Flickr, if the IPTC is intact and meaningful
    you don't have to label, describe or keyword your images online, which
    is a big timesaver.
    -=rjh=-, Aug 25, 2005
  8. Southern Kiwi

    Rider Guest

    "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a whole heap (100 odd) photos in very high resolution (up to 100mb
    > each (don't ask!)) in .PSD format,

    Why?

    *sorry, had to ask*

    :)
    Rider, Aug 26, 2005
  9. Southern Kiwi

    steve Guest

    Southern Kiwi wrote:

    > I have a whole heap (100 odd) photos in very high resolution (up to 100mb
    > each (don't ask!)) in .PSD format, I want to convert and downscale the
    > resolution into JPEG files without having to re-install Photoshop?
    > Prefer free program as I will only be using it the once.

    Try the GIMP.

    Open Source app.....for Windows / Linux / Unix.

    Here is a writeup that mentions the files you're talking about.

    http://tikal.bo.astro.it/~zavatti/GUM/whatis.html
    steve, Aug 26, 2005
  10. Rider wrote:
    > "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> I have a whole heap (100 odd) photos in very high resolution (up to
    >> 100mb each (don't ask!)) in .PSD format,

    > Why?
    >
    > *sorry, had to ask*
    >
    > :)

    Theres always one! ;-)

    "Someone" told them if they sampled at very high resolution they would print
    better.
    I have found some black & white photos that were over 600mb! At a guess I
    reckon they would have averaged 200mb
    Some of the B&W were saved as true colour :)

    Spent about 2 hours converting, resampling and saving at a more repectable
    rate, now they can get their whole collection on 1 CDROM and it dosn't take
    them 90 seconds to open each one :)

    Southern Kiwi, Aug 26, 2005