    book for 4 claims to be able to do it.

    Thanks!!!

    Steve . . .

    Steve King, Jun 11, 2006

  2. Steve King

    Pat Guest

    Personally, I upgraded to 4 a couple of months ago and I am unwhelmed
    and am thinking of trashing it. They have tried to make everything
    "easier" and have thereby taken away your ability to do things in ways
    they don't want you to. For example, for the function that makes
    websites, it has lost the ability to make the site as many rows long as
    you would like. Some designer said the site should be X number of rows
    and X number of rows it is. If you use that function, it is worth
    keeping 2 around just for that.

    They have also added on a bunch of marketing crap. Push a button and
    get stamps delivered to your house. Who the heck cares? Order prints
    online -- but I don't use YOUR company. Etc.

    Still trying to figure out their photo filing software and judging
    where it is worth using or not.

    It's too bad they didn't make it a better program.

    But you may like it. I don't know. As for me, it was a major
    disappointment.

    Pat, Jun 11, 2006

  3. Steve King

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Steve King <> wrote:
    >We didn't bother to ugrade from PSE ver. 2 to ver. 3 because 3 didn't
    >offer that much more than 2 and the upgrade didn't seem to be worth the
    >money. However, we were just given a coupon for an upgrade to ver. 4 at
    >less than 1/2 price. Is 4 worth it?

    I think so.

    > Is it that much better than 2?

    I has a photo of my daughter on the back of the box so of course it
    has to be better. :)

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Jun 11, 2006
  4. Steve King

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Steve King wrote:
    > We didn't bother to ugrade from PSE ver. 2 to ver. 3 because 3 didn't
    > offer that much more than 2 and the upgrade didn't seem to be worth the
    > money. However, we were just given a coupon for an upgrade to ver. 4 at
    > less than 1/2 price. Is 4 worth it? Is it that much better than 2? I
    > know it's much more difficult to add Curves to 4, but the new Hidden Power
    > book for 4 claims to be able to do it.
    >
    > Thanks!!!
    >
    > Steve . . .

    Yes. In fact, I felt that version 3 was more than worth the upgrade
    price, but that 4 didn't offer as much advantage over 3 as 3 did over 2.
    What one wants/needs comes into play there. There is also the
    consideration that if you don't upgrade for a while, you may lose
    support for your version. Go for it!

    Ron Hunter, Jun 11, 2006
  5. Steve King wrote:
    > We didn't bother to ugrade from PSE ver. 2 to ver. 3 because 3 didn't
    > offer that much more than 2 and the upgrade didn't seem to be worth
    > the money. However, we were just given a coupon for an upgrade to
    > ver. 4 at less than 1/2 price. Is 4 worth it? Is it that much
    > better than 2? I know it's much more difficult to add Curves to 4,
    > but the new Hidden Power book for 4 claims to be able to do it.
    >
    > Thanks!!!
    >
    > Steve . . .

    This is not a question that can be answered simply.

    I personally think it was worth it. I upgraded to 3.0 and then to 4.0
    and felt both were worth it to me. It took a couple of months each time for
    me to learn enough about the new versions to feel that way. Each time I did
    not like the new product until I got comfortable with it and more
    knowledgeable of it's features.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Jun 11, 2006
  6. I have a Mac and iPhoto 6 (part of the iLife suite), so my needs from
    Photoshop Elements are minimal. Some things that iPhoto has that
    Photoshop Elements doesn't have are true "Exposure" and "Color
    Temperture" controls. These work just as exposure on a camera works and
    the Temperature has a warmer-cooler type of control. The Exposure
    Controls work much better than the Brightness and Contrast control which
    tend to affect each other. The Temperature Control gives one control
    correction for skylight or flash or other errors in color temperature
    and avoids the messy tweaking of three different tint controls.

    Where Photoshop Elements excels is with its Shadows/Highlights control
    which Lighten Shadows and Darken Highlights and the Rubber Stamp which
    removes telephone poles, wires, etc. These are the most used controls I
    use in Photoshop Elements.

    The new editing features in Photoshop Elements 4 are the magic selection
    brush, enhanced retouching, skin tone correction, and enhanced
    background selection and editing or removal. I find these features
    valuable to me, some may not.

    --
    Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
    http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

    Stephen Henning, Jun 11, 2006
  7. Steve King

    Pat Guest

    That's as good of a reason to use it as any, better than some. Did you
    take the picture? How did it wind up on the box?

    I probably have my box around here somewhere, if I find it do you want
    it for your collection or do you have enough copies already?

    Pat, Jun 11, 2006
  8. Steve King

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Pat <> wrote:
    >That's as good of a reason to use it as any, better than some. Did you
    >take the picture? How did it wind up on the box?

    Yes, I took the pictures. I used to work for Adobe and they sent
    around an email asking if anybody had photos they wanted to
    contribute. So I sent a bunch and they used a couple.

    >I probably have my box around here somewhere, if I find it do you want
    >it for your collection or do you have enough copies already?

    Rest assured I made sure I had at least two copies of Elements 4. :)
    Although my daughter screamed the first time she saw her picture on
    the box.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Jun 12, 2006
  9. Steve King

    Tim Guest

    In article <448cb160$0$65485$>,
    (Ray Fischer) wrote:

    > Pat <> wrote:
    > >That's as good of a reason to use it as any, better than some. Did you
    > >take the picture? How did it wind up on the box?

    > Yes, I took the pictures. I used to work for Adobe and they sent
    > around an email asking if anybody had photos they wanted to
    > contribute. So I sent a bunch and they used a couple.
    >
    > >I probably have my box around here somewhere, if I find it do you want
    > >it for your collection or do you have enough copies already?

    > Rest assured I made sure I had at least two copies of Elements 4. :)
    > Although my daughter screamed the first time she saw her picture on
    > the box.

    LOL! What a great story.

    Tim, Jun 12, 2006
  10. Steve King

    Hoshisato Guest

    Steve King wrote:
    > We didn't bother to ugrade from PSE ver. 2 to ver. 3 because 3 didn't
    > offer that much more than 2 and the upgrade didn't seem to be worth the
    > money. However, we were just given a coupon for an upgrade to ver. 4 at
    > less than 1/2 price. Is 4 worth it? Is it that much better than 2? I
    > know it's much more difficult to add Curves to 4, but the new Hidden Power
    > book for 4 claims to be able to do it.

    To me, it would have been more logical if version 3 had been released
    as version 2.1 and version 4 as version 2.2; but in that case you
    cannot charge people for a new program :)

    Hoshisato, Jun 12, 2006
  11. Steve King

    J. Clarke Guest

    Hoshisato wrote:

    > Steve King wrote:
    >> We didn't bother to ugrade from PSE ver. 2 to ver. 3 because 3 didn't
    >> offer that much more than 2 and the upgrade didn't seem to be worth the
    >> money. However, we were just given a coupon for an upgrade to ver. 4 at
    >> less than 1/2 price. Is 4 worth it? Is it that much better than 2? I
    >> know it's much more difficult to add Curves to 4, but the new Hidden
    >> Power book for 4 claims to be able to do it.

    > To me, it would have been more logical if version 3 had been released
    > as version 2.1 and version 4 as version 2.2; but in that case you
    > cannot charge people for a new program :)

    Of course you can. Many major players in the industry charge for going
    up .1 revision level. Check the version numbers on Windows 2000 and
    Windows XP.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Jun 12, 2006
  12. "J. Clarke" <> wrote:

    > Hoshisato wrote:

    > > Steve King wrote:
    > >> We didn't bother to ugrade from PSE ver. 2 to ver. 3 because 3 didn't
    > >> offer that much more than 2 and the upgrade didn't seem to be worth the
    > >> money. However, we were just given a coupon for an upgrade to ver. 4 at
    > >> less than 1/2 price. Is 4 worth it? Is it that much better than 2? I
    > >> know it's much more difficult to add Curves to 4, but the new Hidden
    > >> Power book for 4 claims to be able to do it.

    > > To me, it would have been more logical if version 3 had been released
    > > as version 2.1 and version 4 as version 2.2; but in that case you
    > > cannot charge people for a new program :)

    > Of course you can. Many major players in the industry charge for going
    > up .1 revision level. Check the version numbers on Windows 2000 and
    > Windows XP.

    Or the Mac OS X version numbers between OS X 10.2 (Jaguar), 10.3
    (Panther) and 10.4 (Tiger). No upgrade, $129 each.

    Stephen Henning, Jun 12, 2006