PhotoShop Elements, Aperture and Lightroom

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by hellman@stanford.edu, May 23, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I've been trying to make sense of the PR and posts concerning
    PhotoShop Elements, Aperture and Lightroom and could use some help. Up
    to now, I've been using iPhoto along with GraphicConverter and Adobe
    PhotoShop Elements, but am getting a DSLR (Pentax K20D) and will want
    to use its RAW capability sometimes. Also, I've been a bit unhappy
    with iPhoto's strange way of filing pictures: Original and Modified
    folders are higher up the tree than the albums, making it difficult to
    figure out which photos are the good ones unless I use iPhoto. While
    not usually a problem, sometimes it is, plus I worry more about the
    distant future when my kids or grandkids might want to find photos
    after iPhoto is long gone.

    My biggest question has to do with what editing capabilities Aperture
    and Lightroom have. It sounds like they're mostly for organizing
    photos and doing batch edits (white balance, etc.). I don't use most
    of what's in PSE, but sometimes use the healing brush and cloning tool
    to remove distractions. And, of course, moving to using RAW will add
    another dimension of needed tools which I haven't yet figured out.

    I realize this question is a bit vague, but figure there will be some
    kind souls on this newsgroup who will try to provide information.
    Where do these various programs fit in the work flow? What are their
    advantages and disadvantages? Thanks in advance.

    Martin
    , May 23, 2008

  2. Guest

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 09:50:11 -0700 (PDT), in rec.photo.digital
    wrote:

    >I've been trying to make sense of the PR and posts concerning
    >PhotoShop Elements, Aperture and Lightroom and could use some help. Up
    >to now, I've been using iPhoto along with GraphicConverter and Adobe
    >PhotoShop Elements, but am getting a DSLR (Pentax K20D) and will want
    >to use its RAW capability sometimes. Also, I've been a bit unhappy
    >with iPhoto's strange way of filing pictures: Original and Modified
    >folders are higher up the tree than the albums, making it difficult to
    >figure out which photos are the good ones unless I use iPhoto. While
    >not usually a problem, sometimes it is, plus I worry more about the
    >distant future when my kids or grandkids might want to find photos
    >after iPhoto is long gone.
    >
    >My biggest question has to do with what editing capabilities Aperture
    >and Lightroom have. It sounds like they're mostly for organizing
    >photos and doing batch edits (white balance, etc.). I don't use most
    >of what's in PSE, but sometimes use the healing brush and cloning tool
    >to remove distractions. And, of course, moving to using RAW will add
    >another dimension of needed tools which I haven't yet figured out.
    >
    >I realize this question is a bit vague, but figure there will be some
    >kind souls on this newsgroup who will try to provide information.
    >Where do these various programs fit in the work flow? What are their
    >advantages and disadvantages? Thanks in advance.

    You might also take a look at Bibblelabs Bibblelite or Bibblepro. The raw
    converter has an integrated healing tool, Noise Ninja etc and you
    specifically set where the converted files reside. Either in specific
    directories or directories relative to where the raw files reside. Works on
    raw and jpegs. I have both PSCS2 and Nikon Capture NX but prefer it for
    most of my raw conversions given its easy and quick workflow for quickly
    going through new batches of photos and eliminating the chaff.
    , May 23, 2008

  3. nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    <> wrote:

    > My biggest question has to do with what editing capabilities Aperture
    > and Lightroom have. It sounds like they're mostly for organizing
    > photos and doing batch edits (white balance, etc.). I don't use most
    > of what's in PSE, but sometimes use the healing brush and cloning tool
    > to remove distractions. And, of course, moving to using RAW will add
    > another dimension of needed tools which I haven't yet figured out.

    aperture and lightroom have a subset of photoshop's adjustments, but
    it's the stuff people commonly use. for the occasional extra, you can
    round trip the image to photoshop and aperture/lightroom will track it.

    raw processing is as straightforward or as involved as you want to make
    it. in fact, working with jpegs in aperture/lightroom is no different
    than raw, just that the results aren't quite as good.

    > I realize this question is a bit vague, but figure there will be some
    > kind souls on this newsgroup who will try to provide information.
    > Where do these various programs fit in the work flow? What are their
    > advantages and disadvantages? Thanks in advance.

    both aperture and lightroom have free 30 day trials, so you can try
    both and see how well they work for you. there's a bit of a learning
    curve with either one, so try to find an online tutorial or perhaps a
    book, or ask questions here. what i've found is that working with lots
    of images is *far* easier with aperture/lightroom.
    nospam, May 23, 2008