    someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the most
    from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would like to
    step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan

    Dan, Mar 21, 2005

  2. Dan

    Robert Scott Guest

    "Dan" <> wrote in message
    news:VWH%d.160320$...
    >I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
    >someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the most
    >from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would like
    >to step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan

    "Adobe Photoshop elements 3.0 CLASSROOM IN A BOOK, The official training
    workbook from Adobe Systems"
    It even comes with a CD ROM of lessons. Very complete and well-done, I
    think.

    Good shooting,
    Bob Scott

    Robert Scott, Mar 21, 2005

  3. Dan

    Basic Wedge Guest

    "Robert Scott" wrote ...

    > "Adobe Photoshop elements 3.0 CLASSROOM IN A BOOK, The official training
    > workbook from Adobe Systems"

    I'll second that recommendation and add another one: "Adobe Photoshop
    Elements 3.0 - A Visual Introduction to Digital Imaging" by Philip Andrews.
    This book does not include a CD. Instead you can download sample/tutorial
    photos from their website. As a result, the cost is a bit more reasonable at
    $30 U.S.

    Rob

    Basic Wedge, Mar 22, 2005
  4. Dan

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    In rec.photo.digital Dan <> wrote:
    > I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
    > someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the most
    > from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would like to
    > step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan

    Scott Kelby's "The Photoshop Elements Book For Digital Photographers"
    for intermediate use, and "Photoshop Elements 3 Down and Dirty Tricks"
    for good pieces of advanced technique.

    pete
    --
    "Send lawyers, guns and money...."

    Pete Fenelon, Mar 22, 2005
  5. Dan

    measekite Guest

    Take a look at the Visual Book by Peach Pit Press. They are OK and are
    a faster read than most.

    measekite, Mar 22, 2005
  6. Dan

    SamSez Guest

    "Robert Scott" <> wrote in message

    > "Dan" <> wrote in message
    > >I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
    > >someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the most
    > >from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would like
    > >to step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan

    > "Adobe Photoshop elements 3.0 CLASSROOM IN A BOOK, The official training
    > workbook from Adobe Systems"
    > It even comes with a CD ROM of lessons. Very complete and well-done, I
    > think.
    >
    > Good shooting,
    > Bob Scott

    Ditto on Adobe's training workbook. There are other books that are good, and
    show interesting tricks -- including 'the hidden power of photoshop elements 3'
    which adds some useful functionality -- but it doesn't hurt to start with the
    tool the way the vendor intended.

    SamSez, Mar 22, 2005
  7. Dan

    Clyde Torres Guest

    > "Dan" <> wrote in message
    >>I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
    >>someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the
    >>most from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would
    >>like to step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan

    > "Adobe Photoshop elements 3.0 CLASSROOM IN A BOOK, The official training
    > workbook from Adobe Systems"
    > It even comes with a CD ROM of lessons. Very complete and well-done, I
    > think.
    >
    > Good shooting,
    > Bob Scott

    This brings a question to mind. I never use the Organizer Catalog feature
    of Adobe PE 3. I only use the Edit and Enhance Photos feature, which if I
    bring up the File Browser, I get thumbprints of all the files in the folder,
    and I can work on them with the appropriate tools. I keep thinking that the
    Catalog feature is duplicating photo files somewhere else and thus using
    more memory. Is this true? Whenever I work on files, PE 3 always asks me
    if I want to fire up the Organizer Catalog feature. I always say no. Am I
    missing something other than slide shows?

    Clyde Torres

    Clyde Torres, Mar 22, 2005
  8. Dan

    SamSez Guest

    "Clyde Torres" <> wrote in message

    > This brings a question to mind. I never use the Organizer Catalog feature
    > of Adobe PE 3. I only use the Edit and Enhance Photos feature, which if I
    > bring up the File Browser, I get thumbprints of all the files in the folder,
    > and I can work on them with the appropriate tools. I keep thinking that the
    > Catalog feature is duplicating photo files somewhere else and thus using
    > more memory. Is this true? Whenever I work on files, PE 3 always asks me
    > if I want to fire up the Organizer Catalog feature. I always say no. Am I
    > missing something other than slide shows?
    >
    > Clyde Torres

    I think you are missing a lot.

    As to overhead, there are no 'copies', but there are catalog files. For my 17Gb
    or so worth of pix, the total catalog space is less than 200Mb. No big deal.

    As to what it can do, the best thing it did for me was to offer calendar
    [time-line] based cataloging of all my pix based on internal file dates, all
    nicely sorted regardless of the camera or what directory I had put it in
    [usually based on what camera to avoid name collision]. Add to that the quick
    fix [with auto backup copy], ability to add user defined tags to allow selective
    display [including a 'hide' tag so I can easily ignore 'test' shots without
    deleting them], and it's quite a handy tool.

    Be aware that the first time you use it, particularly if you import a lot of pix
    at once, there is a lot of background processing going on that can slow both the
    organizer and the pc itself. Once the material is cataloged, the delay issue
    goes away.

    SamSez, Mar 22, 2005
  9. On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 03:09:58 GMT, "Clyde Torres"
    <> wrote:

    >"Robert Scott" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Dan" <> wrote in message
    >>>I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
    >>>someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the
    >>>most from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would
    >>>like to step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan

    >> "Adobe Photoshop elements 3.0 CLASSROOM IN A BOOK, The official training
    >> workbook from Adobe Systems"
    >> It even comes with a CD ROM of lessons. Very complete and well-done, I
    >> think.
    >>
    >> Good shooting,
    >> Bob Scott

    >This brings a question to mind. I never use the Organizer Catalog feature
    >of Adobe PE 3. I only use the Edit and Enhance Photos feature, which if I
    >bring up the File Browser, I get thumbprints of all the files in the folder,
    >and I can work on them with the appropriate tools. I keep thinking that the
    >Catalog feature is duplicating photo files somewhere else and thus using
    >more memory. Is this true? Whenever I work on files, PE 3 always asks me
    >if I want to fire up the Organizer Catalog feature. I always say no. Am I
    >missing something other than slide shows?
    >
    >Clyde Torres

    Having both pieces of PE3 open does use lots of memory, mean loss of
    speed due to swapping. Task Manager has shown as much as 2GB of memory
    in use on a 512MB system.

    The catalog is convenient for uploading from the CF card and does have
    some management tools. I'm not sure the effort of learning their
    method is worth it if you have one of your own that works. The rest is
    for the scrapbookers.

    Have you seen the Hidden Powers add-ins? Well worth the price which
    includes a book and make PE3 much more like PS CS.
    www.hiddenelements.com

    Oliver Costich, Mar 22, 2005
  10. Dan

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Clyde Torres wrote:
    > "Robert Scott" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Dan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
    >>>someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the
    >>>most from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would
    >>>like to step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan

    >>"Adobe Photoshop elements 3.0 CLASSROOM IN A BOOK, The official training
    >>workbook from Adobe Systems"
    >>It even comes with a CD ROM of lessons. Very complete and well-done, I
    >>think.
    >>
    >>Good shooting,
    >>Bob Scott

    > This brings a question to mind. I never use the Organizer Catalog feature
    > of Adobe PE 3. I only use the Edit and Enhance Photos feature, which if I
    > bring up the File Browser, I get thumbprints of all the files in the folder,
    > and I can work on them with the appropriate tools. I keep thinking that the
    > Catalog feature is duplicating photo files somewhere else and thus using
    > more memory. Is this true? Whenever I work on files, PE 3 always asks me
    > if I want to fire up the Organizer Catalog feature. I always say no. Am I
    > missing something other than slide shows?
    >
    > Clyde Torres

    Yes. The Organizer has many nice features, such as tags, collections,
    and nice search features. It also seems to have quite a few bugs. It
    is possible to delete it from the load and not see it at all. You can
    find instructions to do that on the Adobe Photoshop Elements forum at
    www.adobe.com.

    You can also get answers to just about any question you have about the
    various features, or how to use them from users who know the program
    intimately.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Mar 22, 2005
  11. I think the OEM's should incorporate everything in their product, so two
    book of mine that I'd reccomend are:

    "Photoshop Elements 3 for Dummies" by McCelland and Fott, and
    "How to Do Everything with Photoshop Elements 3.0" by Plotkin.

    The computer section of any good sized book store should have these as well
    as half a dozed others. Just pick the one(s) that appeal to you the most.

    Bob

    Robert Millard, Mar 23, 2005
  12. Dan

    Clyde Torres Guest

    "Oliver Costich" <> wrote in message
    >>This brings a question to mind. I never use the Organizer Catalog feature
    >>of Adobe PE 3. I only use the Edit and Enhance Photos feature, which if I
    >>bring up the File Browser, I get thumbprints of all the files in the
    >>folder,
    >>and I can work on them with the appropriate tools. I keep thinking that
    >>the
    >>Catalog feature is duplicating photo files somewhere else and thus using
    >>more memory. Is this true? Whenever I work on files, PE 3 always asks me
    >>if I want to fire up the Organizer Catalog feature. I always say no. Am
    >>missing something other than slide shows?
    >>
    >>Clyde Torres
    >>

    > Having both pieces of PE3 open does use lots of memory, mean loss of
    > speed due to swapping. Task Manager has shown as much as 2GB of memory
    > in use on a 512MB system.
    >
    > The catalog is convenient for uploading from the CF card and does have
    > some management tools. I'm not sure the effort of learning their
    > method is worth it if you have one of your own that works. The rest is
    > for the scrapbookers.
    >
    > Have you seen the Hidden Powers add-ins? Well worth the price which
    > includes a book and make PE3 much more like PS CS.
    > www.hiddenelements.com

    Oliver,

    I will check out Hidden Powers. Thanks for turning me on to these add-ins.

    Clyde Torres

    Clyde Torres, Mar 23, 2005
  13. On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:27:11 -0800, "Robert Millard"
    <> wrote:

    >I think the OEM's should incorporate everything in their product, so two
    >book of mine that I'd reccomend are:
    >
    >"Photoshop Elements 3 for Dummies" by McCelland and Fott, and
    >"How to Do Everything with Photoshop Elements 3.0" by Plotkin.
    >
    >The computer section of any good sized book store should have these as well
    >as half a dozed others. Just pick the one(s) that appeal to you the most.
    >
    >Bob

    My wife thought that Everyday Photoshop Elemets 3.0 by King was
    helpful for someone without much editing experience. I found Hidden
    Powers of Photoshop Elements interesting> It's alittle more technical
    than most and includes a CD with add-ins that make Elements more like
    CS (curves is one that is worth the price of the package).

    Oliver Costich, Mar 23, 2005
  14. On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 02:13:09 GMT, "Clyde Torres"
    <> wrote:

    >"Oliver Costich" <> wrote in message
    >>>This brings a question to mind. I never use the Organizer Catalog feature
    >>>of Adobe PE 3. I only use the Edit and Enhance Photos feature, which if I
    >>>bring up the File Browser, I get thumbprints of all the files in the
    >>>folder,
    >>>and I can work on them with the appropriate tools. I keep thinking that
    >>>the
    >>>Catalog feature is duplicating photo files somewhere else and thus using
    >>>more memory. Is this true? Whenever I work on files, PE 3 always asks me
    >>>if I want to fire up the Organizer Catalog feature. I always say no. Am
    >>>missing something other than slide shows?
    >>>
    >>>Clyde Torres
    >>>

    >> Having both pieces of PE3 open does use lots of memory, mean loss of
    >> speed due to swapping. Task Manager has shown as much as 2GB of memory
    >> in use on a 512MB system.
    >>
    >> The catalog is convenient for uploading from the CF card and does have
    >> some management tools. I'm not sure the effort of learning their
    >> method is worth it if you have one of your own that works. The rest is
    >> for the scrapbookers.
    >>
    >> Have you seen the Hidden Powers add-ins? Well worth the price which
    >> includes a book and make PE3 much more like PS CS.
    >> www.hiddenelements.com

    >Oliver,
    >
    >I will check out Hidden Powers. Thanks for turning me on to these add-ins.
    >
    >Clyde Torres

    Their web site is www.hiddenelements.com. The book is here
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-5498708-4367860?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

    THe curves and the color correct tools are worth the price of the
    book.

    Oliver Costich, Mar 23, 2005