    Bridge would not display the thumbnail.

    Does anyone know if the full release of CS3 will open these files?

    Yes, Irfanview displays these files.

    Rudy Benner, Mar 1, 2007

  2. Rudy Benner

    tomm42 Guest

    On Mar 1, 12:08 pm, "Rudy Benner" <> wrote:
    > It would seem that Adobe Photoshop CS3 Bridge will display a thumbnail for
    > .DCM files, but will not open them in Photoshop CS3. The older version of
    > Bridge would not display the thumbnail.
    >
    > Does anyone know if the full release of CS3 will open these files?
    >
    > Yes, Irfanview displays these files.

    You could batch convert them to tif or jpeg in Irfanview.

    tom

    tomm42, Mar 1, 2007

  3. Rudy Benner

    tomm42 Guest

    On Mar 1, 12:08 pm, "Rudy Benner" <> wrote:
    > It would seem that Adobe Photoshop CS3 Bridge will display a thumbnail for
    > .DCM files, but will not open them in Photoshop CS3. The older version of
    > Bridge would not display the thumbnail.
    >
    > Does anyone know if the full release of CS3 will open these files?
    >
    > Yes, Irfanview displays these files.

    These are DICOM format, these are produced by medical records image
    coordinating packages and are considered part of a patient's medical
    record generally not for public view. There must be different laws in
    Germany if since Irfanview gives access. If you are getting these from
    a radiology department ask to have them transfered to a more common
    format.

    Tom

    tomm42, Mar 1, 2007
  4. Rudy Benner

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "tomm42" <> wrote in message
    > On Mar 1, 12:08 pm, "Rudy Benner" <> wrote:
    >> It would seem that Adobe Photoshop CS3 Bridge will display a thumbnail
    >> for
    >> .DCM files, but will not open them in Photoshop CS3. The older version of
    >> Bridge would not display the thumbnail.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if the full release of CS3 will open these files?
    >>
    >> Yes, Irfanview displays these files.

    > These are DICOM format, these are produced by medical records image
    > coordinating packages and are considered part of a patient's medical
    > record generally not for public view. There must be different laws in
    > Germany if since Irfanview gives access. If you are getting these from
    > a radiology department ask to have them transfered to a more common
    > format.
    >
    > Tom

    I have a CD with a collection of my xrays, the CD has a viewer but its
    capabilities are limited. I have been converting them to jpeg format, which
    is adequate for most purposes. I would like access in Photoshop.

    Brdge CS3 already shows the thumbnails. I am hoping to find a plugin for
    photoshop.

    Rudy Benner, Mar 1, 2007
  5. Rudy Benner

    Bigguy Guest

    There is a PS plugin on its way http://www.desacc.com/ DICOMacess
    http://www.desacc.com/products/da/

    Windows Dicom thumbnailer here http://dicom.online.fr/fr/donation.htm

    And a PS plugin for Macs http://www.dclunie.com/dicom-plugin/
    and
    http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2006/07/osirix_open_source_medical_ima.html
    OsiriX

    There is a Linux viewer http://www.orcero.org/irbis/kradview/
    and Unix http://www.idoimaging.com/cgi-bin/imaging/program.pl?ident=303

    http://www.idoimaging.com/cgi-bin/imaging/programs.pl

    And here is Java stuff for Dicom images
    http://rsb.info.nih.gov/cgi-bin/ij/ij.pl?query=dicom ImageJ

    Don't know if this helps you out....

    Guy

    Bigguy, Mar 1, 2007
  6. Rudy Benner

    Rudy Benner Guest

    Yes, indeed, that's a great start, thanks for the help.

    Rudy Benner, Mar 1, 2007
  7. Rudy Benner

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Rudy Benner <> wrote:

    > It would seem that Adobe Photoshop CS3 Bridge will display a thumbnail for
    > .DCM files, but will not open them in Photoshop CS3. The older version of
    > Bridge would not display the thumbnail.
    >
    > Does anyone know if the full release of CS3 will open these files?
    >
    > Yes, Irfanview displays these files.

    Get a distribution of ImageMagick and covert them on the command line.

    <http://www.imagemagick.org/>

    Paul Mitchum, Mar 1, 2007
  8. Rudy Benner

    Mike Russell Guest

    "tomm42" <> wrote in message
    > On Mar 1, 12:08 pm, "Rudy Benner" <> wrote:
    >> It would seem that Adobe Photoshop CS3 Bridge will display a thumbnail
    >> for
    >> .DCM files, but will not open them in Photoshop CS3. The older version of
    >> Bridge would not display the thumbnail.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if the full release of CS3 will open these files?
    >>
    >> Yes, Irfanview displays these files.

    > These are DICOM format, these are produced by medical records image
    > coordinating packages and are considered part of a patient's medical
    > record generally not for public view. There must be different laws in
    > Germany if since Irfanview gives access. If you are getting these from
    > a radiology department ask to have them transfered to a more common
    > format.

    There is no legal issue with writing viewers for DICOM files, though there
    is regarding their distribution. When patient images are passed around, for
    example to illustrate a medical paper, an "anonymizer" is normally used to
    replace any data that might be used to identify the patient.
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Mike Russell, Mar 2, 2007
  9. Rudy Benner

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Mike Russell" <-MOVE> wrote in message
    > "tomm42" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mar 1, 12:08 pm, "Rudy Benner" <> wrote:
    >>> It would seem that Adobe Photoshop CS3 Bridge will display a thumbnail
    >>> for
    >>> .DCM files, but will not open them in Photoshop CS3. The older version
    >>> of
    >>> Bridge would not display the thumbnail.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know if the full release of CS3 will open these files?
    >>>
    >>> Yes, Irfanview displays these files.

    >> These are DICOM format, these are produced by medical records image
    >> coordinating packages and are considered part of a patient's medical
    >> record generally not for public view. There must be different laws in
    >> Germany if since Irfanview gives access. If you are getting these from
    >> a radiology department ask to have them transfered to a more common
    >> format.

    > There is no legal issue with writing viewers for DICOM files, though there
    > is regarding their distribution. When patient images are passed around,
    > for example to illustrate a medical paper, an "anonymizer" is normally
    > used to replace any data that might be used to identify the patient.
    > --
    > Mike Russell
    > www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    DICOMaccess is the plugin for photoshop, its not hard to find a key to
    unlock its full features.

    Rudy Benner, Mar 2, 2007
  10. Rudy Benner

    tomm42 Guest

    On Mar 1, 9:33 pm, "Rudy Benner" <> wrote:
    > "Mike Russell" <-MOVE> wrote in message

    > > "tomm42" <> wrote in message

    > >> These are DICOM format, these are produced by medical records image
    > >> coordinating packages and are considered part of a patient's medical
    > >> record generally not for public view. There must be different laws in
    > >> Germany if since Irfanview gives access. If you are getting these from
    > >> a radiology department ask to have them transfered to a more common
    > >> format.

    > > There is no legal issue with writing viewers for DICOM files, though there
    > > is regarding their distribution. When patient images are passed around,
    > > for example to illustrate a medical paper, an "anonymizer" is normally
    > > used to replace any data that might be used to identify the patient.
    > > --
    > > Mike Russell
    > >www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    > DICOMaccess is the plugin for photoshop, its not hard to find a key to
    > unlock its full features.

    I'm just surprised they gave you the DICOM images, if we send files
    with patient we will give them jpegs of tifs, just for this reason.
    The DICOM viewer in our hospital medical record system is awful.

    Take care
    Tom

    tomm42, Mar 2, 2007
  11. Rudy Benner

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "tomm42" <> wrote in message
    > On Mar 1, 9:33 pm, "Rudy Benner" <> wrote:
    >> "Mike Russell" <-MOVE> wrote in message

    >> > "tomm42" <> wrote in message

    >> > There is no legal issue with writing viewers for DICOM files, though
    >> > there
    >> > is regarding their distribution. When patient images are passed around,
    >> > for example to illustrate a medical paper, an "anonymizer" is normally
    >> > used to replace any data that might be used to identify the patient.
    >> > --
    >> > Mike Russell
    >> >www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    >> DICOMaccess is the plugin for photoshop, its not hard to find a key to
    >> unlock its full features.

    > I'm just surprised they gave you the DICOM images, if we send files
    > with patient we will give them jpegs of tifs, just for this reason.
    > The DICOM viewer in our hospital medical record system is awful.
    >
    > Take care
    > Tom

    The CD was not free, I paid good money for it. The X-rays are of my busted
    elbow, I am entitled to this information.

    Rudy Benner, Mar 2, 2007