    menu, but that's a bit of a drag.

    --
    This space intentionally left blank.

    Usenet Account, Jun 28, 2013

  2. Usenet Account

    philo  Guest

    On 06/27/2013 11:17 PM, Usenet Account wrote:
    > Very odd issues as of late with CS2, it's been working fine on this PC
    > for a couple years. As of this week I can't use the windows file manager
    > to "drag-n-drop" into PS CS2. I can drop files into other folders, and
    > other applications. Just CS2 has become flaky, with a disabled
    > drag-and-drop. When I try I get the circle with diagonal slash. Other
    > Adobe apps are working fine.
    >
    > I have deleted the prefs file, I have reinstalled from the original CD.
    > I have tired system restore. I can open the files using the open file
    > menu, but that's a bit of a drag.

    Not too long ago I had updated my wife's Win7_64bit machine and it broke
    Photoshop CS-6

    I uninstalled KB2799926 and after a reboot, all was fine.

    I then deselected that update to make sure it would not be installed again

    philo , Jun 28, 2013

  3. Usenet Account

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/28/2013 8:09 AM, philo wrote:
    > On 06/27/2013 11:17 PM, Usenet Account wrote:
    >> Very odd issues as of late with CS2, it's been working fine on this PC
    >> for a couple years. As of this week I can't use the windows file manager
    >> to "drag-n-drop" into PS CS2. I can drop files into other folders, and
    >> other applications. Just CS2 has become flaky, with a disabled
    >> drag-and-drop. When I try I get the circle with diagonal slash. Other
    >> Adobe apps are working fine.
    >>
    >> I have deleted the prefs file, I have reinstalled from the original CD.
    >> I have tired system restore. I can open the files using the open file
    >> menu, but that's a bit of a drag.
    >>

    > Not too long ago I had updated my wife's Win7_64bit machine and it broke
    > Photoshop CS-6
    >
    > I uninstalled KB2799926 and after a reboot, all was fine.
    >
    > I then deselected that update to make sure it would not be installed again

    I have that update, have not not seen any issues, with CS6. I wonder if
    there is another cause of the conflict.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jun 28, 2013
  4. Usenet Account

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/28/2013 3:52 PM, philo wrote:
    > On 06/28/2013 02:01 PM, PeterN wrote:

    >>> Not too long ago I had updated my wife's Win7_64bit machine and it broke
    >>> Photoshop CS-6
    >>>
    >>> I uninstalled KB2799926 and after a reboot, all was fine.
    >>>
    >>> I then deselected that update to make sure it would not be installed
    >>> again

    >> I have that update, have not not seen any issues, with CS6. I wonder if
    >> there is another cause of the conflict.
    >>

    > Hard to say, other than that one issue the machine has always worked
    > flawlessly.

    thanks. for the heads up. There is always rollback.
    A few weeks ago I had some issues with Bridge not closing properly. I
    installed an update from Adobe, although Adobe didn't admit anything.
    I did find this link, that helped:
    <http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/bridge_cs6_wont_open_running_on_win7>

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jun 29, 2013
  5. Usenet Account

    philo  Guest

    On 06/28/2013 10:12 PM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 6/28/2013 3:52 PM, philo wrote:

    >>> I have that update, have not not seen any issues, with CS6. I wonder if
    >>> there is another cause of the conflict.
    >>>

    >> Hard to say, other than that one issue the machine has always worked
    >> flawlessly.

    > thanks. for the heads up. There is always rollback.
    > A few weeks ago I had some issues with Bridge not closing properly. I
    > installed an update from Adobe, although Adobe didn't admit anything.
    > I did find this link, that helped:
    > <http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/bridge_cs6_wont_open_running_on_win7>

    I am sure different people will have different results but in general,
    if I have a problem with something I try do undo the most recent changes.

    On my wife's previous machine, there were a few updates that broke her
    Wacom Tablet drivers...but Wacom (each time) had new drivers which fixed
    the problem so I did not have to roll back any Windows updates.

    philo , Jun 29, 2013
  6. Usenet Account

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/29/2013 9:24 AM, philo wrote:
    > On 06/28/2013 10:12 PM, PeterN wrote:

    >>> Hard to say, other than that one issue the machine has always worked
    >>> flawlessly.

    >> thanks. for the heads up. There is always rollback.
    >> A few weeks ago I had some issues with Bridge not closing properly. I
    >> installed an update from Adobe, although Adobe didn't admit anything.
    >> I did find this link, that helped:
    >> <http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/bridge_cs6_wont_open_running_on_win7>
    >>

    > I am sure different people will have different results but in general,
    > if I have a problem with something I try do undo the most recent changes.
    >
    > On my wife's previous machine, there were a few updates that broke her
    > Wacom Tablet drivers...but Wacom (each time) had new drivers which fixed
    > the problem so I did not have to roll back any Windows updates.

    That may have something to do with different versions of the OS being
    modified by different OEM vendors.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jun 29, 2013
  7. Usenet Account

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : I have deleted the prefs file, I have reinstalled from the original CD.
    : I have tired system restore. I can open the files using the open file
    : menu, but that's a bit of a drag.

    CS2 must be pretty old. Older versions of lots of programs could have issues
    with 64-bit Windows 7. Has it been running under that OS for the whole two
    years, or was it a recent upgrade?

    As a last resort, you could install a virtual XP machine on your PC and see if
    CS2 will run under that. That PC had better have a lot of memory, though.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jun 29, 2013
  8. Usenet Account

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Robert Coe
    <> wrote:

    > : Very odd issues as of late with CS2, it's been working fine on this PC
    > : for a couple years. As of this week I can't use the windows file manager
    > : to "drag-n-drop" into PS CS2. I can drop files into other folders, and
    > : other applications. Just CS2 has become flaky, with a disabled
    > : drag-and-drop. When I try I get the circle with diagonal slash. Other
    > : Adobe apps are working fine.
    > :
    > : I have deleted the prefs file, I have reinstalled from the original CD.
    > : I have tired system restore. I can open the files using the open file
    > : menu, but that's a bit of a drag.
    >
    > CS2 must be pretty old. Older versions of lots of programs could have issues
    > with 64-bit Windows 7. Has it been running under that OS for the whole two
    > years, or was it a recent upgrade?

    cs2 is 8 years old and definitely not qualified to run on win7.

    > As a last resort, you could install a virtual XP machine on your PC and see if
    > CS2 will run under that. That PC had better have a lot of memory, though.

    that might work, but not a good idea.

    nospam, Jun 29, 2013
  9. On 29/06/2013 12:15 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 00:17:39 -0400, Usenet Account <>
    > wrote:
    > : Very odd issues as of late with CS2, it's been working fine on this PC
    > : for a couple years. As of this week I can't use the windows file manager
    > : to "drag-n-drop" into PS CS2. I can drop files into other folders, and
    > : other applications. Just CS2 has become flaky, with a disabled
    > : drag-and-drop. When I try I get the circle with diagonal slash. Other
    > : Adobe apps are working fine.
    > :
    > : I have deleted the prefs file, I have reinstalled from the original CD.
    > : I have tired system restore. I can open the files using the open file
    > : menu, but that's a bit of a drag.
    >
    > CS2 must be pretty old. Older versions of lots of programs could have issues
    > with 64-bit Windows 7. Has it been running under that OS for the whole two
    > years, or was it a recent upgrade?
    >
    > As a last resort, you could install a virtual XP machine on your PC and see if
    > CS2 will run under that. That PC had better have a lot of memory, though.
    >
    > Bob

    Odd it was running fine until recently, I notice a couple other apps
    aren't D&D either, that seems to point to some MS Hotfix..

    --
    This space intentionally left blank.

    Usenet Account, Jul 3, 2013
  10. Usenet Account

    Robert Coe Guest

    : > wrote:
    : > : Very odd issues as of late with CS2, it's been working fine on this PC
    : > : for a couple years. As of this week I can't use the windows file manager
    : > : to "drag-n-drop" into PS CS2. I can drop files into other folders, and
    : > : other applications. Just CS2 has become flaky, with a disabled
    : > : drag-and-drop. When I try I get the circle with diagonal slash. Other
    : > : Adobe apps are working fine.
    : > :
    : > : I have deleted the prefs file, I have reinstalled from the original CD.
    : > : I have tired system restore. I can open the files using the open file
    : > : menu, but that's a bit of a drag.
    : >
    : > CS2 must be pretty old. Older versions of lots of programs could have issues
    : > with 64-bit Windows 7. Has it been running under that OS for the whole two
    : > years, or was it a recent upgrade?
    : >
    : > As a last resort, you could install a virtual XP machine on your PC and see if
    : > CS2 will run under that. That PC had better have a lot of memory, though.
    : >
    : > Bob
    : >
    :
    : Odd it was running fine until recently, I notice a couple other apps
    : aren't D&D either, that seems to point to some MS Hotfix..

    Is your computer short of memory? By their nature, fixes tend to make the OS
    occupy more memory, not less. Conceivably a recent fix could have put you over
    the edge. Many (most?) Windows applications don't tolerate swapping well.
    (Unix users, back when there were more of them, used to gloat about that.) If
    you plan to keep the computer for a while, and have room for more memory, you
    could try adding another GB or two.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 4, 2013
  11. On 04/07/2013 8:10 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 10:59:47 -0400, Usenet Account <>
    > wrote:
    > : On 29/06/2013 12:15 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > : > On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 00:17:39 -0400, Usenet Account <>
    > : > wrote:
    > : > : Very odd issues as of late with CS2, it's been working fine on this PC
    > : > : for a couple years. As of this week I can't use the windows file manager
    > : > : to "drag-n-drop" into PS CS2. I can drop files into other folders, and
    > : > : other applications. Just CS2 has become flaky, with a disabled
    > : > : drag-and-drop. When I try I get the circle with diagonal slash. Other
    > : > : Adobe apps are working fine.
    > : > :
    > : > : I have deleted the prefs file, I have reinstalled from the original CD.
    > : > : I have tired system restore. I can open the files using the open file
    > : > : menu, but that's a bit of a drag.
    > : >
    > : > CS2 must be pretty old. Older versions of lots of programs could have issues
    > : > with 64-bit Windows 7. Has it been running under that OS for the whole two
    > : > years, or was it a recent upgrade?
    > : >
    > : > As a last resort, you could install a virtual XP machine on your PC and see if
    > : > CS2 will run under that. That PC had better have a lot of memory, though.
    > : >
    > : > Bob
    > : >
    > :
    > : Odd it was running fine until recently, I notice a couple other apps
    > : aren't D&D either, that seems to point to some MS Hotfix..
    >
    > Is your computer short of memory? By their nature, fixes tend to make the OS
    > occupy more memory, not less. Conceivably a recent fix could have put you over
    > the edge. Many (most?) Windows applications don't tolerate swapping well.
    > (Unix users, back when there were more of them, used to gloat about that.) If
    > you plan to keep the computer for a while, and have room for more memory, you
    > could try adding another GB or two.
    >
    > Bob

    Good idea, I'll do some house cleaning. I really should dump all my
    image files to a backup drive.

    --
    This space intentionally left blank.

    Usenet Account, Jul 4, 2013
  12. Usenet Account

    Robert Coe Guest

    : > : > wrote:
    : > : > : Very odd issues as of late with CS2, it's been working fine on this PC
    : > : > : for a couple years. As of this week I can't use the windows file manager
    : > : > : to "drag-n-drop" into PS CS2. I can drop files into other folders, and
    : > : > : other applications. Just CS2 has become flaky, with a disabled
    : > : > : drag-and-drop. When I try I get the circle with diagonal slash. Other
    : > : > : Adobe apps are working fine.
    : > : > :
    : > : > : I have deleted the prefs file, I have reinstalled from the original CD.
    : > : > : I have tired system restore. I can open the files using the open file
    : > : > : menu, but that's a bit of a drag.
    : > : >
[...]

    I'm talking computer memory, not disk storage. If you run out of disk space,
    you're likely to know it. That does remind me, though, that if you're short
    enough of memory to bring on swapping, you may then have to worry about
    whether you have enough swap space allocated on your disk. If you don't, it
    should tell you eventually, but the resulting failure won't be graceful.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 5, 2013
  13. Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >: Odd it was running fine until recently, I notice a couple other apps
    >: aren't D&D either, that seems to point to some MS Hotfix..

    Possibly.

    So do a search for that error type in Google and ask Microsoft
    and their knowledge base.

    I understand Photoshop is open and the windows
    exploder^Wexplorer is open and you drag an image into the
    photoshop window and release the mouse button then --- you're
    not double-clicking the image?

    > Is your computer short of memory? By their nature, fixes tend to make the OS
    > occupy more memory, not less. Conceivably a recent fix could have put you over
    > the edge. Many (most?) Windows applications don't tolerate swapping well.
    > (Unix users, back when there were more of them, used to gloat about that.)

    Linux users still gloat. (You bought all that expensive RAM,
    and Windows helps you by not using the part not currently
    needed by programs and system to the fullest, e.g. to cache
    what was recently read from the HDDs?

    If there was too little RAM, photoshop would be slow or
    wouldn't even start, so probably not (though having enough
    RAM is always a good idea).

    IIRC Photoshop handles it's own swapping (wonder why!) and
    I have heard it can help to put that swap on a different
    spindle (disk) than the images and program and Windows live
    on. But that shouldn't matter with drag'n'drop, only with
    speed.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 10, 2013
  14. Usenet Account

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Wolfgang
    Weisselberg <> wrote:

    > IIRC Photoshop handles it's own swapping (wonder why!) and
    > I have heard it can help to put that swap on a different
    > spindle (disk) than the images and program and Windows live
    > on. But that shouldn't matter with drag'n'drop, only with
    > speed.

    putting photoshop's swap on a different disk can help in extreme
    situations (i.e., *really* huge files). it's not going to make a
    difference for the typical user. it's no different than putting the
    operating system's swap on a different drive.

    as for why photoshop does its own swap, it's because it can do a *much*
    better job than the operating system can because photoshop knows what
    parts of the image are needed and when, whereas the operating system
    can only guess and will almost always guess wrong. the difference is
    significant.

    nospam, Jul 11, 2013