    this on their web site (I couldn't find one)? I want to upgrade
    but am concerned about the registration process.

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jan 19, 2004

    Mark Herring Guest

    Roger;

    If I'm not mistaken, PS does not support Linux. For dual boot, you
    would install it under Windows. The fact that the machine is dual
    boot shoul have no effect.

    -Mark

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 20:28:04 -0700, "Roger N. Clark (change username
    to rnclark)" <> wrote:

    >Does anyone have experience installing the new photoshop CS on a
    >dual boot Linux/Windows XP machine (specifically with the grub
    >boot loader)? Any problems? Does Adobe have a statement about
    >this on their web site (I couldn't find one)? I want to upgrade
    >but am concerned about the registration process.
    >
    >Roger

    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".
    Mark Herring, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Mark,
    Yes, photoshop is not on Linux (if it was, I'd dump windows completely).
    I have dual boot systems. Apparently CS writes something in the
    boot loader section as part of the registration process.
    So regardless of which operating system photoshop CS runs under
    the dual boot may be a problem.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jan 19, 2004

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    Mark Herring <> wrote:
    >Roger;
    >
    >If I'm not mistaken, PS does not support Linux. For dual boot, you
    >would install it under Windows. The fact that the machine is dual
    >boot shoul have no effect.

    The Photoshop CS installer writes data to certain harddisk sectors, as part
    of the product activation, which may or may not overwrite the Linux
    bootloader. I think that was the point of the original question. Hearing
    from someone who has tried it on a dual-boot system would be instructive.

    Haven't tried it myself - I do use Photoshop CS, but I'm running the UNIX
    version of CS already, which doesn't have activation either. ;-)
    Chris Brown, Jan 19, 2004

    Rick Guest

    "Chris Brown" <_uce_please.com> wrote in message news:...
    > In article <>,
    > Mark Herring <> wrote:
    > >Roger;
    > >
    > >If I'm not mistaken, PS does not support Linux. For dual boot, you
    > >would install it under Windows. The fact that the machine is dual
    > >boot shoul have no effect.

    > The Photoshop CS installer writes data to certain harddisk sectors, as part
    > of the product activation, which may or may not overwrite the Linux
    > bootloader. I think that was the point of the original question. Hearing
    > from someone who has tried it on a dual-boot system would be instructive.
    >
    > Haven't tried it myself - I do use Photoshop CS, but I'm running the UNIX
    > version of CS already, which doesn't have activation either. ;-)

    Photoshop CS (actually Macrovision's SafeCast) writes to
    reserved absolute disk sector 32. As long as Linux isn't using
    this sector for its boot loader you shouldn't have a problem.

    Rick
    Rick, Jan 19, 2004

    Mark Herring Guest

    Wow..

    Bad dog, Adobe---very bad dog

    I wonder what their customer service dept has to say about this.

    I've got the dual boot setup at the moment, but almost never use it.
    Next time the Linux bug bites, I think I'll raid the parts bin to make
    another computer and hook up the KVM switch.

    Have you tried "The GIMP"

    Mark Herring, Jan 19, 2004

    Steve Guest

    Hi

    I have Photoshop CS on a dual boot system with the GRUB bootloader.

    PSCS did not break GRUB in any way.

    Regards,

    Steve

    In article:<>,
    Mark Herring <> typed:

    Steve, Jan 19, 2004
  8. Steve wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I have Photoshop CS on a dual boot system with the GRUB bootloader.
    >
    > PSCS did not break GRUB in any way.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Steve

    Thanks, Steve! That is what I wanted to hear.
    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jan 19, 2004
  9. Chris Brown wrote:

    > In article <>,

    > Haven't tried it myself - I do use Photoshop CS, but I'm running the UNIX
    > version of CS already, which doesn't have activation either. ;-)

    I assume you mean Mac OSX. So close, yet so far...
    Or do you mean the very old Sun version.
    When will the linux port come?

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jan 19, 2004

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jan 19, 2004

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) <> wrote:
    >Chris Brown wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,

    >> Haven't tried it myself - I do use Photoshop CS, but I'm running the UNIX
    >> version of CS already, which doesn't have activation either. ;-)

    >I assume you mean Mac OSX. So close, yet so far...

    I do indeed mean OS X.
    Chris Brown, Jan 19, 2004
  12. In article <>,
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) says...

    > Does anyone have experience installing the new photoshop CS on a
    > dual boot Linux/Windows XP machine (specifically with the grub
    > boot loader)? Any problems?

    Apparently you *might* lose your bootloader, which results
    in the Linux partition not being bootable anymore.

    > Does Adobe have a statement about this on
    > their web site (I couldn't find one)?

    Not that I know of, but several people have already said
    that the activation process (rather Macrovision Safecast,
    the technology in question) might kill anything from
    bootloader to the complete partition. You might be lucky,
    but I am pretty sure Adobe will leave you in the rain
    with anything lost.

    > I want to upgrade but am concerned about the
    > registration process.

    I won't upgrade. PS7 has to do until the Gimp is ready
    for serious use in prepress.

    There is just one way to handle crap like this:
    Vote with your wallet. I had the choice between
    Adobe Premiere pro and Pinnacle Liquid Edition Pro
    when I needed professional video editing software
    for a new workstation.

    I called Adobe to find out if they use Macrovision
    in Premiere pro also. Their response was "Not now,
    but...". Okay, thank you. I will be ordering Liquid
    Edition, then.

    --
    Michael Quack <>

    http://www.photoquack.de/glamour/1.htm