Photoshop CS 16-bit image limitations

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 17, 2004.

  1. Now that Photoshop supports 16-bit adjustment layers, I've been
    working in 16 bits a lot more -- and am discovering various other
    limitations.

    For one thing, the histogram display remains small and low-resolution.
    (Reindeer Graphics has a free "wide histogram" plugin that will give
    you a 1024-position histogram at
    <http://www.reindeergraphics.com/free.shtml>).

    For another, in the Color Picker, at least when entering RGB colors
    numerically, you can only enter values from 0 to 255. I don't know if
    this means that sampled colors (eyedropper) are snapped to that as
    well; I think it'd have to since that's all that can be displayed in
    the color picker.

    I started this to check a rumor that photoshop only really supported
    15 bits per channel -- that a 16-bit file would actually get reduced
    to 15. Wasn't able to carry through my test on that, since I couldn't
    reliably enter and display 16-bit colors numerically.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 17, 2004

  2. "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > I started this to check a rumor that photoshop only really
    > supported 15 bits per channel -- that a 16-bit file would
    > actually get reduced to 15.

    It's no rumor, you can see it in the info panel (can be switched to
    16-bit number display and won't exceed 32768, or 2^15+1), and it's
    been discussed by Chris Cox (one of the programmers) in newsgroups.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Sep 17, 2004

  3. "Bart van der Wolf" <> writes:

    > "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message
    > SNIP
    >> I started this to check a rumor that photoshop only really
    >> supported 15 bits per channel -- that a 16-bit file would
    >> actually get reduced to 15.

    > It's no rumor, you can see it in the info panel (can be switched to
    > 16-bit number display and won't exceed 32768, or 2^15+1), and it's
    > been discussed by Chris Cox (one of the programmers) in newsgroups.

    Well, Chris should know! Thanks.

    Didn't think of looking at the "info" panel; you say it can be
    switched to 16-bit display? How?

    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 18, 2004
  4. "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > Didn't think of looking at the "info" panel; you say it
    > can be switched to 16-bit display? How?

    Open an image, make sure it is in 16-b/ch mode.
    Select the Info panel, and select its options (top right circular
    arrow button), choose Palette Options..., and tick the box in front of
    "Show 16 bit values".

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Sep 18, 2004