    issue for using that. Any tips?
    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Feb 5, 2006

  2. Stacey

    Guest

    Try "paint shop pro" from corel (they bought out jasc which made the
    psp). Link is below. I think it costs $99 and is almost as good as
    photoshop. There is a trial version of it available, I think. I am
    not associated with thier product in any way. But I have used a
    previous version and never found the need for anything else.

    http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satell.../Display&pfid=1047024307383&pid=1047025487586

    , Feb 5, 2006

  3. On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 21:29:47 -0500, Stacey <> wrote:
    > I'm teaching a local photography class and am going to be getting into
    > digital image corrections soon. These are mostly snapshooter types and I
    > know they aren't going to spring for a $600 copy of CS2. I think their
    > budget is closer to $100, what are some good options? I think manditory
    > things are levels/curves tools, layers, clone stamp, unsharp mask, preview
    > screens for the adjustment windows and the ability to deal with (or at
    > least not destroy) color management. I'm not interested in the "One click"
    > type editing programs. The thing that bothers me about elements is I'm not
    > sure all these people are using windows XP SP2 machines so that might be an
    > issue for using that. Any tips?

    GIMP will do all that, with the exception (I think) of color management.
    Free for the download, and runs on a variety of platforms.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Feb 5, 2006
  4. Today commented courteously on the subject at hand

    > Try "paint shop pro" from corel (they bought out jasc which
    > made the psp). Link is below. I think it costs $99 and
    > is almost as good as photoshop. There is a trial version
    > of it available, I think. I am not associated with thier
    > product in any way. But I have used a previous version and
    > never found the need for anything else.
    >
    > http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel3/Produ
    > cts/Display&pfid=1047024307383&pid=1047025487586

    I would suggest that people check out comments on PSP X before
    buying it. Best idea is to download the trial before voting with
    your Visa. The issue of whether X is or is not an "improvement"
    will never be solved, but Corel changed the target audience from
    the serious art, graphics, photo editor to allegely try to
    compete more with PSE4 than PS CS. In the process, they mangled
    the GUI and forever hacked off the loyal PSP customers. Which is
    why I refuse to pay $59 for the X upgrade for the very little it
    actually has of value to me.

    It is clearly for the OP to decide. I am a big, big fan of PSP
    since the shareware days on CompuServe up through PSP 9, so my
    opinion is more than a little biased. But, should they decide
    they don't like X for any reason, there's still copies of 9 on
    store shelves and people eBay it all the time. Then again, if
    the OP's intent is to get their students using what they teach
    on, it'd make the most sense to go with the more up-to-date
    version.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Feb 5, 2006
  5. Stacey

    Guest

    Stacey wrote:

    > I'm teaching a local photography class and am going to be getting into
    > digital image corrections soon. These are mostly snapshooter types and I
    > know they aren't going to spring for a $600 copy of CS2. I think their
    > budget is closer to $100, what are some good options? I think manditory
    > things are levels/curves tools, layers, clone stamp, unsharp mask, preview
    > screens for the adjustment windows and the ability to deal with (or at
    > least not destroy) color management. I'm not interested in the "One click"
    > type editing programs. The thing that bothers me about elements is I'm not
    > sure all these people are using windows XP SP2 machines so that might be an
    > issue for using that. Any tips?

    A very good alternative to Photoshop is the Coreldraw Suite.
    It is now up to version 12 and is available as an "accedemic" version
    for about US $100.
    There is no difference between the accedemic and full versions.
    I would recommend Coreldraw, because not only does it have a very
    powerful and easy to use image/photo-editing program, but also has a
    whole package of very useful programs for page layout, barcodes and
    various other bits and pieces.

    Incidently, it was Corel that introduced the concept of "layers" (as
    they are known in Photoshop) in version 2 of Photopaint and gave them
    the more obvious name of "objects".

    , Feb 5, 2006
  6. Stacey

    Pat Guest

    Photoshop Elements would be a good choice. It'll do what most people
    need to do.

    Pat, Feb 5, 2006
  7. Stacey

    Jon Danniken Guest

    "Stacey" wrote:
    > The thing that bothers me about elements is I'm not
    > sure all these people are using windows XP SP2 machines so that might be

    an
    > issue for using that. Any tips?

    I must be out of the loop on this one; what is the issue with PSE and SP2?

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Feb 5, 2006
  8. Stacey

    carolyn Guest

    i think i might guide them towards photoshop elements. it is ust a
    lesser version of photoshop but it gets them on the right track. if
    they stay just hobbiests, the program will offer a lot of what they
    will want to do and if they get serious, they are already familiar with
    the tools and application.

    good luck! sounds like fun,
    carolyn

    carolyn, Feb 5, 2006
  10. carolyn wrote:
    > i think i might guide them towards photoshop elements. it is ust a
    > lesser version of photoshop but it gets them on the right track. if
    > they stay just hobbiests, the program will offer a lot of what they
    > will want to do and if they get serious, they are already familiar with
    > the tools and application.
    >
    > good luck! sounds like fun,
    > carolyn

    I agree, Elements 4 would not only be the logical choice, but would also
    be the best preparation for Photoshop.

    "Hobbiests" is spelled "hobbyists."

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Feb 5, 2006
  11. Stacey

    Hitchkas Guest

    Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    > carolyn wrote:
    > > i think i might guide them towards photoshop elements. it is ust a
    > > lesser version of photoshop but it gets them on the right track. if
    > > they stay just hobbiests, the program will offer a lot of what they
    > > will want to do and if they get serious, they are already familiar with
    > > the tools and application.
    > >
    > > good luck! sounds like fun,
    > > carolyn

    > I agree, Elements 4 would not only be the logical choice, but would also
    > be the best preparation for Photoshop.
    >
    > "Hobbiests" is spelled "hobbyists."
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    I may be mistaken, but I think Photoshop Elements doesn't support
    curves original poster wanted.

    I think Gimp would be a better alternative in that respect, except it
    doesn't have color management.

    Hitchkas, Feb 5, 2006
  12. Stacey

    Bob Williams Guest

    Stacey wrote:
    > I'm teaching a local photography class and am going to be getting into
    > digital image corrections soon. These are mostly snapshooter types and I
    > know they aren't going to spring for a $600 copy of CS2. I think their
    > budget is closer to $100, what are some good options? I think manditory
    > things are levels/curves tools, layers, clone stamp, unsharp mask, preview
    > screens for the adjustment windows and the ability to deal with (or at
    > least not destroy) color management. I'm not interested in the "One click"
    > type editing programs. The thing that bothers me about elements is I'm not
    > sure all these people are using windows XP SP2 machines so that might be an
    > issue for using that. Any tips?

    Photoshop Elements 4 is a really good choice because it has the look and
    feel of $600 Full Photoshop, and will do practically everything that a
    novice would do with the more expensive big brother.
    For those who do not have Win Xp, they can purchase Photoshop Elements
    2.0 for a song and still get most of the features of PS4.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Feb 5, 2006
  13. Bob Williams wrote:

    > Stacey wrote:
    >
    >> I'm teaching a local photography class and am going to be getting into
    >> digital image corrections soon. These are mostly snapshooter types and I
    >> know they aren't going to spring for a $600 copy of CS2. I think their
    >> budget is closer to $100, what are some good options? I think manditory
    >> things are levels/curves tools, layers, clone stamp, unsharp mask,
    >> preview
    >> screens for the adjustment windows and the ability to deal with (or at
    >> least not destroy) color management.

    > Photoshop Elements 4 is a really good choice because it has the look and
    > feel of $600 Full Photoshop, and will do practically everything that a
    > novice would do with the more expensive big brother.
    > For those who do not have Win Xp, they can purchase Photoshop Elements
    > 2.0 for a song and still get most of the features of PS4.
    > Bob Williams

    And PS Elements doesn't require above average knowledge such as the Gimp
    does, and is cross platform.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Feb 5, 2006
  14. Stacey

    Guest

    Photoshop Elements - sold at big-box discounters for just under $99.
    Has most all features of Photoshop for a fraction of price.

    , Feb 5, 2006
  15. Stacey

    Esmond Guest

    "All Things Mopar" <> wrote in message
    > Today commented courteously on the subject at hand
    >
    >> Try "paint shop pro" from corel (they bought out jasc which
    >> made the psp). Link is below. I think it costs $99 and
    >> is almost as good as photoshop. There is a trial version
    >> of it available, I think. I am not associated with thier
    >> product in any way. But I have used a previous version and
    >> never found the need for anything else.
    >>
    >> http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel3/Produ
    >> cts/Display&pfid=1047024307383&pid=1047025487586
    >>

    > I would suggest that people check out comments on PSP X before
    > buying it. Best idea is to download the trial before voting with
    > your Visa. The issue of whether X is or is not an "improvement"
    > will never be solved, but Corel changed the target audience from
    > the serious art, graphics, photo editor to allegely try to
    > compete more with PSE4 than PS CS. In the process, they mangled
    > the GUI and forever hacked off the loyal PSP customers. Which is
    > why I refuse to pay $59 for the X upgrade for the very little it
    > actually has of value to me.
    >
    > It is clearly for the OP to decide. I am a big, big fan of PSP
    > since the shareware days on CompuServe up through PSP 9, so my
    > opinion is more than a little biased. But, should they decide
    > they don't like X for any reason, there's still copies of 9 on
    > store shelves and people eBay it all the time. Then again, if
    > the OP's intent is to get their students using what they teach
    > on, it'd make the most sense to go with the more up-to-date
    > version.
    >
    > --
    > ATM, aka Jerry

    Have a search for Paint.net. Easy to use and fairly full-featured. And free.

    regards

    Esmond

    Esmond, Feb 5, 2006
  16. Stacey

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Stacey wrote:
    > I'm teaching a local photography class and am going to be getting into
    > digital image corrections soon. These are mostly snapshooter types and I
    > know they aren't going to spring for a $600 copy of CS2. I think their
    > budget is closer to $100, what are some good options? I think manditory
    > things are levels/curves tools, layers, clone stamp, unsharp mask, preview
    > screens for the adjustment windows and the ability to deal with (or at
    > least not destroy) color management. I'm not interested in the "One click"
    > type editing programs. The thing that bothers me about elements is I'm not
    > sure all these people are using windows XP SP2 machines so that might be an
    > issue for using that. Any tips?

    Without a doubt, Photoshop Elements is your answer. Does about 90% of
    what the full package does, and what you learn on Elements can be used
    in the full package should you decide to upgrade to the professional
    level package.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 5, 2006
  17. Stacey

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Jon Danniken wrote:
    > "Stacey" wrote:
    >> The thing that bothers me about elements is I'm not
    >> sure all these people are using windows XP SP2 machines so that might be

    > an
    >> issue for using that. Any tips?

    > I must be out of the loop on this one; what is the issue with PSE and SP2?
    >
    > Jon

    None!
    I use both PSE2 and PSE3 with SP2 and have no problem whatsoever.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 5, 2006
  18. Stacey

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:

    > Stacey wrote:
    >> I'm teaching a local photography class and am going to be getting into
    >> digital image corrections soon. These are mostly snapshooter types and I
    >> know they aren't going to spring for a $600 copy of CS2. I think their
    >> budget is closer to $100, what are some good options? I think manditory
    >> things are levels/curves tools, layers, clone stamp, unsharp mask,
    >> preview
    >> screens for the adjustment windows and the ability to deal with (or at
    >> least not destroy) color management. I'm not interested in the "One
    >> click"
    >> type editing programs. The thing that bothers me about elements is I'm
    >> not
    >> sure all these people are using windows XP SP2 machines so that might
    >> be an
    >> issue for using that. Any tips?

    > Photoshop Elements 4 is a really good choice because it has the look and
    > feel of $600 Full Photoshop, and will do practically everything that a
    > novice would do with the more expensive big brother.
    > For those who do not have Win Xp, they can purchase Photoshop Elements
    > 2.0 for a song and still get most of the features of PS4.
    > Bob Williams

    It doesn't do curves, although I believe one can purchase that feature
    as a plugin, should they need the facility.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 5, 2006
  19. Stacey

    Rudy Benner Guest

    Paint.net is at http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/

    Rudy Benner, Feb 5, 2006
  20. On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 21:29:47 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Stacey
    <> wrote:

    >I'm teaching a local photography class and am going to be getting into
    >digital image corrections soon. These are mostly snapshooter types and I
    >know they aren't going to spring for a $600 copy of CS2. I think their
    >budget is closer to $100, what are some good options? I think manditory
    >things are levels/curves tools, layers, clone stamp, unsharp mask, preview
    >screens for the adjustment windows and the ability to deal with (or at
    >least not destroy) color management. I'm not interested in the "One click"
    >type editing programs. The thing that bothers me about elements is I'm not
    >sure all these people are using windows XP SP2 machines so that might be an
    >issue for using that. Any tips?

    FWIW, you can still find PSE3 which doesn't need XP:
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=4438485/search=Photoshop elements 3
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=4557885/search=Photoshop elements 3
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 5, 2006