Photoshop Album and Canon RAW

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Svein Olav Steinmo, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Is it possible to see the raw-files in Album ?

    Svein Olav Steinmo, Aug 5, 2003

  2. Svein Olav Steinmo

    Hal Lowe Guest

    Hal Lowe, Aug 5, 2003

  3. Svein Olav Steinmo

    Lionel Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 13:34:50 GMT, in
    <_nOXa.607$>, "Hal Lowe"
    <> said:

    >"Svein Olav Steinmo" <> wrote in message
    >> Is it possible to see the raw-files in Album ?
    >>

    >No. Even with the Adobe raw plug-in installed it gives an unsupported file
    >message.

    Yep. If you want to make 'contact sheets' or webpage proofs of your RAW
    images, BreezeBrowser is pretty good.

    Lionel, Aug 5, 2003
  4. > > Is it possible to see the raw-files in Album ?

    > No. Even with the Adobe raw plug-in installed it gives an unsupported file
    > message.

    Then what good are the raw files? What can you use them for? Funny to that
    the Canon G3 I am thinking of getting comes with Adobe Photoshop, so you are
    saying that you can only work with Jpegs? Why would I ever save files as raw
    then?

    I am new to this, so I really don't know, I am not trying to be a pain.

    Jon Wordsworth, Aug 5, 2003
  5. Svein Olav Steinmo

    Hal Lowe Guest

    "Jon Wordsworth" <> wrote in message
    > > > Is it possible to see the raw-files in Album ?
    > > >

    > > No. Even with the Adobe raw plug-in installed it gives an unsupported

    file
    > > message.

    > Then what good are the raw files? What can you use them for? Funny to

    that
    > the Canon G3 I am thinking of getting comes with Adobe Photoshop, so you

    are
    > saying that you can only work with Jpegs? Why would I ever save files

    as raw
    > then?
    >
    > I am new to this, so I really don't know, I am not trying to be a pain.

    Well, I answered your original question. All you asked about was Adobe
    Photoshop Album. I answered that question. The answer was no. If you
    don't like the answer, please feel free to complain to Adobe. Anyway, I
    don't even use or recommend that program, since I don't think it features
    are adequate at this point, including not being able to view/manage raw
    photos. Since many of my originals are raw, this poses a serious problem.

    If you buy Adobe Photoshop and the raw plug-in you will definitely be able
    to see/edit the pictures.

    As far as raw files, it's possible that you will never need to use them.
    They are invaluable for semi-pro or professional work, since they allow them
    to maintain the highest quality in their pictures. Basically, using raw
    pictures provides for color corrections in 16-bit mode versus standard 8-bit
    mode (the pictures are about double the size). You can edit, sharpen,
    tweak, etcs., without losing the quality as you normally would with 8-bit
    images. There are some limitations when using raw files in Photoshop, since
    not all the tools are available in 16-bit mode.

    Regards,

    Hal Lowe
    www.halowe-graphics.com/send_email_new.html
    www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html