    I've tried using the healing brush, but it still looks touched up. Any
    ideas?

    Thanks in anticipation :)

    Broons Bane, May 1, 2006

  2. Broons Bane

    Celcius Guest

    I don't remember the version 5, however, it mus have a clone tool. Try
    the clone tool.
    don't use too much pressure. Do a spot, try again changing pressure /
    opacity or flow. It's a question of trial and error. Luckily, you have
    the "undo" working for you.
    Marcel

    Celcius, May 1, 2006

  3. Broons Bane

    Stewy Guest

    In article <8bl5g.8979$>,
    "Broons Bane" <> wrote:

    > Hi there.
    >
    > I've got a scan of a face, which is pretty good, apart from the fact that
    > there is a fairly thin horizontal white line running through the forehead.
    > I've tried using the healing brush, but it still looks touched up. Any
    > ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation :)

    I assume by healing brush, you mean the clone tool? If not, try that
    with a fairly soft-edged brush. Set the opacity down to a bout 40%.

    Another idea is to use the smudge tool - again at low opacity.

    Enlarge to around 400%

    Stewy, May 1, 2006
  4. Broons Bane

    Pat Guest

    What's the white line from, a crack on the glass of the scanner because
    you were put on too much pressure as you were holding someone's face
    against the glass to get a good scan? :)

    Easiest thing to do is to try to rescan, if possible.

    Besides for the good suggestions made above, once in a while you can
    select all, paste to a new layer, and offset the layer by the width of
    the line. Then merge the layers and touch-up as needed with smudge
    tool.

    Good luck. (and next time hold the guy in place better when you scan
    his face!).

    Pat, May 1, 2006
  5. Broons Bane

    Broons Bane Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > What's the white line from, a crack on the glass of the scanner because
    > you were put on too much pressure as you were holding someone's face
    > against the glass to get a good scan? :)
    >
    > Easiest thing to do is to try to rescan, if possible.
    >
    > Besides for the good suggestions made above, once in a while you can
    > select all, paste to a new layer, and offset the layer by the width of
    > the line. Then merge the layers and touch-up as needed with smudge
    > tool.
    >
    > Good luck. (and next time hold the guy in place better when you scan
    > his face!).

    lol. no, its a work id badge with my face on it. printer problem. no chance
    of a rescan.

    when merging the layers wouldn't you get a pic of two faces out of phase?

    Broons Bane, May 1, 2006
  6. Broons Bane

    Pat Guest

    Oh, you said you had a scan of a face, I just thought .... You know.
    like people who photocopy their faces (or their butts).

    Select the white line and delete it on the top copy so that the bottom
    copy shows throught only in that space. Then offset one of the copies.
    Depending on the photos, many times there is not much change from one
    row of pixels to another. It will make it look like one line got
    printed twice. Then use Merge>Visible (at least on my software) with
    layers set to normal. It will flatten the layers to look exactly like
    what you see on the screen.

    It's a good basis to start smudging with. But remember, make sure you
    back up the original before you start playing with it.

    This works for small lines. For large lines, well, they are just a
    pain in the ....

    Good luck.

    Pat, May 1, 2006
  7. "Broons Bane" <> writes:
    > I've got a scan of a face, which is pretty good, apart from the fact
    > that there is a fairly thin horizontal white line running through
    > the forehead. I've tried using the healing brush, but it still
    > looks touched up. Any ideas?

    No healing brush in PS ver. 4 (it made its debut in PS 7) - are you
    referring to the rubber stamp (clone) tool?

    Anyway, go to 400% (or larger), use the clone tool with a soft brush
    and adjust the diameter to be slightly larger than the defect, and
    use the "darken" blending mode. Be careful when you select the source
    for cloning. Good luck!
    Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

    Gisle Hannemyr, May 1, 2006
  8. Broons Bane

    l v Guest

    Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
    > "Broons Bane" <> writes:
    >
    >>I've got a scan of a face, which is pretty good, apart from the fact
    >>that there is a fairly thin horizontal white line running through
    >>the forehead. I've tried using the healing brush, but it still
    >>looks touched up. Any ideas?

    > No healing brush in PS ver. 4 (it made its debut in PS 7) - are you
    > referring to the rubber stamp (clone) tool?
    >
    > Anyway, go to 400% (or larger), use the clone tool with a soft brush
    > and adjust the diameter to be slightly larger than the defect, and
    > use the "darken" blending mode. Be careful when you select the source
    > for cloning. Good luck!

    I'm betting the OP means photoshop elelements 4 which I believe does
    have the healing brush.

    Not seeing the picture, I'd start with the clone (rubber stamp) tool,
    then use the healing brush to clean it up. You may need to use
    different size brushes.

    Save often and keep you finger over "undo" to reverse a bad edit.

    Len

    l v, May 1, 2006