    back?

    (P.S. I use Win XP Pro).

    Joe.
    Joe, Jun 14, 2007

  2. Joe

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    news:SEjci.52876$...
    > Some time ago I downloaded some photos from my camera to my pc, app., 200
    > shots. They seemed to have vanished when I went to look for them as they
    > were nowhere to be found on my hard drive. I 'did' save them as I saw them
    > at the time of downloading. I racked my brain trying to find them and
    > wondered what could have happened to them. I now have a theory. I think I
    > did a system restore as I was having problems the day after I downloaded
    > the photos. I restored the system to the day or two 'before' I downloaded
    > the photos. Then, a few days later, I turned the system restore off to run
    > a full system antivirus check. There is no way I can restore the system
    > now. I used a program called Easy Recovery, but it didn't find anything to
    > with the photos. Are these photos lost to me forever or is there a way to
    > get them back?
    >
    > (P.S. I use Win XP Pro).
    >
    > Joe.

    System Restore should not have done anything to your photos.

    What CAMERA? What software came WITH the camera? Start that software, see if
    the pictures are available that way. Some cameras use proprietary software
    and file formats, and only convert them to JPG or other more standard file
    types when requested. I think I've even seen some put ALL pictures in one
    big "collection" file, rather than a lot of separate files.
    WhzzKdd, Jun 15, 2007

  3. Joe

    Joe Guest

    > "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >> Some time ago I downloaded some photos from my camera to my pc, app., 200
    >> shots. They seemed to have vanished when I went to look for them as they
    >> were nowhere to be found on my hard drive. I 'did' save them as I saw
    >> them at the time of downloading. I racked my brain trying to find them
    >> and wondered what could have happened to them. I now have a theory. I
    >> think I did a system restore as I was having problems the day after I
    >> downloaded the photos. I restored the system to the day or two 'before' I
    >> downloaded the photos. Then, a few days later, I turned the system
    >> restore off to run a full system antivirus check. There is no way I can
    >> restore the system now. I used a program called Easy Recovery, but it
    >> didn't find anything to with the photos. Are these photos lost to me
    >> forever or is there a way to get them back?
    >>
    >> (P.S. I use Win XP Pro).
    >>
    >> Joe.
    >>

    > System Restore should not have done anything to your photos.
    >
    > What CAMERA? What software came WITH the camera? Start that software, see
    > if the pictures are available that way. Some cameras use proprietary
    > software and file formats, and only convert them to JPG or other more
    > standard file types when requested. I think I've even seen some put ALL
    > pictures in one big "collection" file, rather than a lot of separate
    > files.

    Camera is a Canon EOS 10D and the software is Zoom Browser, but no sign of
    the photos when I start it up.
    I DID see them in a dated folder originally on the desktop, so I kow they
    were there for sure.

    Joe.
    Joe, Jun 15, 2007
  4. Joe

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message

    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >>> Some time ago I downloaded some photos from my camera to my pc, app.,
    >>> 200 shots. They seemed to have vanished when I went to look for them as
    >>> they were nowhere to be found on my hard drive. I 'did' save them as I
    >>> saw them at the time of downloading. I racked my brain trying to find
    >>> them and wondered what could have happened to them. I now have a theory.
    >>> I think I did a system restore as I was having problems the day after I
    >>> downloaded the photos. I restored the system to the day or two 'before'
    >>> I downloaded the photos. Then, a few days later, I turned the system
    >>> restore off to run a full system antivirus check. There is no way I can
    >>> restore the system now. I used a program called Easy Recovery, but it
    >>> didn't find anything to with the photos. Are these photos lost to me
    >>> forever or is there a way to get them back?
    >>>
    >>> (P.S. I use Win XP Pro).
    >>>
    >>> Joe.
    >>>

    >> System Restore should not have done anything to your photos.
    >>
    >> What CAMERA? What software came WITH the camera? Start that software, see
    >> if the pictures are available that way. Some cameras use proprietary
    >> software and file formats, and only convert them to JPG or other more
    >> standard file types when requested. I think I've even seen some put ALL
    >> pictures in one big "collection" file, rather than a lot of separate
    >> files.
    >>

    > Camera is a Canon EOS 10D and the software is Zoom Browser, but no sign of
    > the photos when I start it up.
    > I DID see them in a dated folder originally on the desktop, so I kow they
    > were there for sure.

    Well, if that folder is gone, check the recycle bin. If it's not there,
    you're probably out of luck.

    I hate Canon's software for my 20D. I use a card adapter for my USB port
    instead.
    WhzzKdd, Jun 15, 2007
  5. Joe

    Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote:

    >Some time ago I downloaded some photos from my camera to my pc, app., 200
    >shots. They seemed to have vanished when I went to look for them as they
    >were nowhere to be found on my hard drive. I 'did' save them as I saw them
    >at the time of downloading. I racked my brain trying to find them and
    >wondered what could have happened to them. I now have a theory. I think I
    >did a system restore as I was having problems the day after I downloaded the
    >photos. I restored the system to the day or two 'before' I downloaded the
    >photos. Then, a few days later, I turned the system restore off to run a
    >full system antivirus check. There is no way I can restore the system now. I
    >used a program called Easy Recovery, but it didn't find anything to with the
    >photos. Are these photos lost to me forever or is there a way to get them
    >back?

    Just to make sure you can see all the files on your system follow this
    guide
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html#winxp
    --

    Caught by the camera...
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=52qjv51
  6. Joe

    Dan C Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 22:52:34 +0000, Joe wrote:

    <snip idiotic sob story>

    > (P.S. I use Win XP Pro).

    LOL!!! You drooling Win-droids do come up with some novel ways to destroy
    your data, as if your "operating system" didn't already do that for you.

    Unplug your "computer", and go take up another hobby. Checkers, maybe.

    Dan C, Jun 15, 2007
  7. Joe

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <>,
    writes
    > "Joe" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Some time ago I downloaded some photos from my camera to my pc, app., 200
    >>shots. They seemed to have vanished when I went to look for them as they
    >>were nowhere to be found on my hard drive. I 'did' save them as I saw them
    >>at the time of downloading. I racked my brain trying to find them and
    >>wondered what could have happened to them. I now have a theory. I think I
    >>did a system restore as I was having problems the day after I downloaded the
    >>photos. I restored the system to the day or two 'before' I downloaded the
    >>photos. Then, a few days later, I turned the system restore off to run a
    >>full system antivirus check. There is no way I can restore the system now. I
    >>used a program called Easy Recovery, but it didn't find anything to with the
    >>photos. Are these photos lost to me forever or is there a way to get them
    >>back?

    >Just to make sure you can see all the files on your system follow this
    >guide
    >http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html#winxp
    >--
    >
    >Caught by the camera...
    >http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=52qjv51

    Presumably, these photos will be JPGs.

    If they ARE on your hard drive, you should be able to find them simply
    (but maybe tediously) by using the Search (or Find) facility in Windows.

    If you are not familiar, this is 'normal' way to find missing files in
    XP. Other versions of Windows are similar. It will list all (or a
    selection) of the JPGs on your PC.

    Click on
    'Start'
    'Find'
    'For Files and Folders'
    'All Files and Folders'
    In 'All or part of filename' enter '*.jpg' ('star dot JPG' - no quotes,
    of course).
    In 'Look in', select C drive (or as appropriate).

    If you have the date set in you camera, you can narrow down the search
    by using 'When was it modified', and either entering the exact date (eg
    from 15 Apr 07 to 15 Apr 07), or a range of dates - one of the other
    options, of course.

    While it's unlikely that the photos are hidden, it might be worth
    finally opening 'More advanced options', just to make sure.

    Best of luck.
    Ian.
    Ian Jackson, Jun 15, 2007
  8. Joe

    Plato Guest

    Joe wrote:

    > Some time ago I downloaded some photos from my camera to my pc, app., 200
    > shots. They seemed to have vanished when I went to look for them as they
    > were nowhere to be found on my hard drive. I 'did' save them as I saw them

    Next time save all your photos to cd as backup. Make 2 CDs. Keep them in
    separate places in your home.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 16, 2007