Photos for email.... How big, is too big?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Big.David.NJ@gmail.com, Jan 30, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I am having some problems when receiving photos through email. I have
    a dial-up connection, as does a friend of mine and most of the time
    when I get a picture from her it is often 700kb... 800kb or at times
    well over a 1MB. It takes forever for it to download.

    Isn't this too big for dial-up users? I was under the impression that
    photos should be a much smaller file size, especially when dealing
    with people who have a dial-up connection.

    She often wonders if there could possibly be something my PC is doing
    in the process to enlarge the file size because I have an older
    machine but I told her that I thought that the file size was big
    because she SENT it that way.

    Any suggestions on what might be happening here?

    Thanks in advance

    DAVID
    , Jan 30, 2008

  2. richard Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:35:03 -0800 (PST),
    wrote:

    >I am having some problems when receiving photos through email. I have
    >a dial-up connection, as does a friend of mine and most of the time
    >when I get a picture from her it is often 700kb... 800kb or at times
    >well over a 1MB. It takes forever for it to download.
    >
    >Isn't this too big for dial-up users? I was under the impression that
    >photos should be a much smaller file size, especially when dealing
    >with people who have a dial-up connection.
    >
    >She often wonders if there could possibly be something my PC is doing
    >in the process to enlarge the file size because I have an older
    >machine but I told her that I thought that the file size was big
    >because she SENT it that way.
    >
    >Any suggestions on what might be happening here?
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >DAVID

    The size is typical of a BMP file. Try using JPG at 400x320.
    The file size will be reduced to aroun 30kb and highly acceptable for
    email.
    richard, Jan 30, 2008

  3. Richard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I am having some problems when receiving photos through email. I have
    > a dial-up connection, as does a friend of mine and most of the time
    > when I get a picture from her it is often 700kb... 800kb or at times
    > well over a 1MB. It takes forever for it to download.

    Get a new friend.
    Richard, Jan 30, 2008
  4. olfart Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I am having some problems when receiving photos through email. I have
    > a dial-up connection, as does a friend of mine and most of the time
    > when I get a picture from her it is often 700kb... 800kb or at times
    > well over a 1MB. It takes forever for it to download.
    >
    > Isn't this too big for dial-up users? I was under the impression that
    > photos should be a much smaller file size, especially when dealing
    > with people who have a dial-up connection.
    >
    > She often wonders if there could possibly be something my PC is doing
    > in the process to enlarge the file size because I have an older
    > machine but I told her that I thought that the file size was big
    > because she SENT it that way.
    >
    > Any suggestions on what might be happening here?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > DAVID

    Nekkid pics are supposed to be big. Especially if she has oversized hooters
    olfart, Jan 30, 2008
  5. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > I am having some problems when receiving photos through email.

    That is a common problem.

    > I have
    > a dial-up connection, as does a friend of mine and most of the time
    > when I get a picture from her it is often 700kb... 800kb or at times
    > well over a 1MB. It takes forever for it to download.

    She isn't making good decisions about how to send someone a pic.

    > Isn't this too big for dial-up users? I was under the impression that
    > photos should be a much smaller file size, especially when dealing
    > with people who have a dial-up connection.

    You are correct, but many times the sender doesn't know how to resize a
    photo.

    For example, say someone took a pic with their digital camera and the
    camera thinks the resolution of the photo should be sufficient to print
    a nice pic as a 5x7 or whatever. A 5x7 print needs a lot more pixels
    than you need to see a modest sized screen picture.

    > She often wonders if there could possibly be something my PC is doing
    > in the process to enlarge the file size because I have an older
    > machine but I told her that I thought that the file size was big
    > because she SENT it that way.

    You are correct. She is wrong.

    > Any suggestions on what might be happening here?

    She's sending you pics that have way too big a filesize to be
    gracefully/easily handled by dialup. She needs to learn enough about
    how to handle graphics to send you a modest sized picture. She could be
    trying to send a big .bmp file or she could be trying a big .jpg or
    other file.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 30, 2008
  6. thanatoid Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in

    > <> wrote in message
    > groups.com...
    >>I am having some problems when receiving photos through
    >>email. I have
    >> a dial-up connection, as does a friend of mine and most of
    >> the time when I get a picture from her it is often
    >> 700kb... 800kb or at times well over a 1MB. It takes
    >> forever for it to download.
    >>
    >> Isn't this too big for dial-up users? I was under the
    >> impression that photos should be a much smaller file size,
    >> especially when dealing with people who have a dial-up
    >> connection.
    >>
    >> She often wonders if there could possibly be something my
    >> PC is doing in the process to enlarge the file size
    >> because I have an older machine but I told her that I
    >> thought that the file size was big because she SENT it
    >> that way.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions on what might be happening here?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> DAVID

    > Nekkid pics are supposed to be big. Especially if she has
    > oversized hooters

    And what would you like as the prize for the stupidest reply in
    about two months?

    Me dumb. A date with a 38DDD hooker, of course.

    --
    "As you know, it is considered bad form to discuss the latest
    news with persons from the beyond."
    thanatoid, Jan 30, 2008
  7. thanatoid Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > The size is typical of a BMP file.

    That's SOME statement, buddy.

    > Try using JPG at
    > 400x320. The file size will be reduced to aroun 30kb and
    > highly acceptable for email.

    A JPG can easily be 3 MB if the author is an idiot. Of course,
    the BMP would be 30MB's, but thankfully most digital cameras
    save in JPG. NOT thankfully, many also offer image sizes of up
    to 3000x2000 pixels and more.

    --
    "As you know, it is considered bad form to discuss the latest
    news with persons from the beyond."
    Karel Capek
    ..
    thanatoid, Jan 30, 2008
  8. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in
    oups.com:

    > I am having some problems when receiving photos through
    > email. I have a dial-up connection, as does a friend of
    > mine and most of the time when I get a picture from her it
    > is often 700kb... 800kb or at times well over a 1MB. It
    > takes forever for it to download.

    Been there. See below.

    > Isn't this too big for dial-up users? I was under the
    > impression that photos should be a much smaller file size,
    > especially when dealing with people who have a dial-up
    > connection.

    You are smarter than all your idiot friend. It appears most
    people can not comprehend this simple fact.

    > She often wonders if there could possibly be something my
    > PC is doing in the process to enlarge the file size because
    > I have an older machine

    That is a REALLY good one. What is her IQ, I wonder?

    > but I told her that I thought that
    > the file size was big because she SENT it that way.

    Of course.

    > Any suggestions on what might be happening here?

    What is happening is that your friend is an idiot (no offense -
    this is a Usenet help group) with no understanding of the
    basics. A KB will be a KB forever, a petabyte will be a petabyte
    forever, and Windows will NEVER print directory (folder to her)
    contents, no matter what, forever. SOME things just do not
    change.

    There IS a technical aspect to this (which both you and her are
    permitted not to be aware of) which results in the file received
    being /slightly/ bigger than it was at her end, and that has to
    do with the way the Internet transmits binaries (images, music,
    etc.). A txt message will be almost exactly the same size on
    both ends. A picture may grow by 20-40% depending on a variety
    of factors. Still, SHE being a dial-up user, she should be able
    to witness and cogitate the time it takes HER to SEND the
    freaking thing.

    I sometimes get photos that are 2 MB in size, from people who
    have broadband connections. I have a 33.6 modem, FFS! I
    sometimes get 8 MB's worth of attachments, or even worse, ONE
    attachment of 8-12 MB. I have explained GENTLY and POLITELY that
    my machine can't handle it (/can/, of course, but I am just /not
    interested/ in waiting 20 minutes to see a 5 MB 3000x2000 pixel
    image of an ugly drooling addition to this already vastly
    overpopulated planet - although once a 12 MB attachment /did/
    actually crash my email program!), and would they please fire up
    MS Paint (I doubt they have anything else) and make it SMALL. No
    reply. People are MORONS.

    I have explained and explained, to ALL the guilty parties, but
    it makes no difference. Brick walls. Fortunately I do not have
    many friends, so this doesn't happen often.

    I have my POP mail client (death to web mail) set to DL /only/
    the first 100 lines. 95% of the time that is the whole message,
    even when the moron sender is kind enough to both a) use html
    and thus quintuplicate the email size with crap code and b) copy
    MY "original message" because, again, they are MORONS.

    It has gotten to the point that when I see something over 500
    lines, I just delete it. **** them. I have explained it and
    explained it.

    Once I got an 870KB pic, 1200 by 800 pixels or something. I use
    a 800x600 screen resolution. I reduced the image to 700x500 (or
    something), compressed it SLIGHTLY and sent it back as an
    example. All **80KB** of it. No response, no follow up. I
    imagine I have offended that person beyond limits of
    acceptability.

    I have really had it with people.

    Get a 3MB picture of something and email it to her. See how SHE
    likes it. Insist that it's her computer that made it big.

    thanatoid, Jan 30, 2008
  9. Lookout Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:47:53 -0500, "olfart" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >>I am having some problems when receiving photos through email. I have
    >> a dial-up connection, as does a friend of mine and most of the time
    >> when I get a picture from her it is often 700kb... 800kb or at times
    >> well over a 1MB. It takes forever for it to download.
    >>
    >> Isn't this too big for dial-up users? I was under the impression that
    >> photos should be a much smaller file size, especially when dealing
    >> with people who have a dial-up connection.
    >>
    >> She often wonders if there could possibly be something my PC is doing
    >> in the process to enlarge the file size because I have an older
    >> machine but I told her that I thought that the file size was big
    >> because she SENT it that way.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions on what might be happening here?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> DAVID

    >Nekkid pics are supposed to be big. Especially if she has oversized hooters

    Ahhh...so that's our problem!
    Lookout, Jan 30, 2008