    original file. I've dropped them a line and asked to add full EXIF
    support to future builds.

    For ease of use and output results, I'm thrilled with the program.
    Cynicor, Aug 29, 2007

  2. Cynicor

    Harvey W. Guest

    On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:30:22 -0400, Cynicor <>
    wrote:

    >I purchased this program today. It's GREAT for HDR and photo
    >adjustments, even from a single RAW. One caveat, however, is that the
    >current version does not carry over your EXIF data when you do your Save
    >As. The only fields it retains are camera model, exposure time, f-stop,
    >ISO, focal length, original date/time, and sometimes an ICC profile.
    >Other data, like latitude/longitude, isn't maintained. Some of the data
    >is also written in odd formats. (For instance, f-stop went from 2.8 to
    >2.79999. If you know how EXIF data is stored, f-stop is the quotient of
    >two integers saved in the header.)
    >
    >Note that this is in the Save As file - Photomatix doesn't touch your
    >original file. I've dropped them a line and asked to add full EXIF
    >support to future builds.
    >
    >For ease of use and output results, I'm thrilled with the program.

    Just what f/stop and shutter speed would you like them to record when using 2 or
    more photos that have been given an exposure bracket, thereby changing the EXIF
    data in each. An average? That wouldn't reflect the resulting image parameters
    at all. Which time-stamp? GPS data will also shift from one exposure to the
    next, there's only a 16ft maximum resolution (some units much less) and it
    wavers around a lot. Leave any GPS unit sitting on a picnic table with tracking
    turned on. You'll be surprised how far and how much your picnic table is walking
    around when you're not looking.

    Just use any EXIF editing tools to copy the EXIF data from your chosen reference
    photo and paste it into the resulting image.

    Using EXIFER, EXIFTool (excellent freeware command-line utility), the EXIF save
    and load options built-into PhotoLine (which also has its own HDR tool), etc.
    Harvey W., Aug 29, 2007

  3. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Harvey W. wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:30:22 -0400, Cynicor <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I purchased this program today. It's GREAT for HDR and photo
    >> adjustments, even from a single RAW. One caveat, however, is that the
    >> current version does not carry over your EXIF data when you do your Save
    >> As. The only fields it retains are camera model, exposure time, f-stop,
    >> ISO, focal length, original date/time, and sometimes an ICC profile.
    >> Other data, like latitude/longitude, isn't maintained. Some of the data
    >> is also written in odd formats. (For instance, f-stop went from 2.8 to
    >> 2.79999. If you know how EXIF data is stored, f-stop is the quotient of
    >> two integers saved in the header.)
    >>
    >> Note that this is in the Save As file - Photomatix doesn't touch your
    >> original file. I've dropped them a line and asked to add full EXIF
    >> support to future builds.
    >>
    >> For ease of use and output results, I'm thrilled with the program.

    > Just what f/stop and shutter speed would you like them to record when using 2 or
    > more photos that have been given an exposure bracket, thereby changing the EXIF
    > data in each.

    It doesn't save them when you open a JPG and immediately do a Save As
    with no modifications. It DOES modify the data for the f/stop field -
    from 28/10 to 27999/10000, so it reads them and rewrites them.

    > GPS data will also shift from one exposure to the
    > next, there's only a 16ft maximum resolution (some units much less) and it
    > wavers around a lot.

    Just tie-break with the first image taken. It's better to have the data
    a couple of feet away than to have no data at all.

    > Just use any EXIF editing tools to copy the EXIF data from your chosen reference
    > photo and paste it into the resulting image.
    >
    > Using EXIFER, EXIFTool (excellent freeware command-line utility), the EXIF save
    > and load options built-into PhotoLine (which also has its own HDR tool), etc.

    I have my own that I wrote, and I can do it, but it would be nice to
    have it as a non-destructive option. (And by the way, a lot of other
    programs don't save the data properly either.)
    Cynicor, Aug 29, 2007
  4. Cynicor

    Harvey W. Guest

    On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:32:21 -0400, Cynicor <>
    wrote:

    >I have my own that I wrote, and I can do it, but it would be nice to
    >have it as a non-destructive option. (And by the way, a lot of other
    >programs don't save the data properly either.)

    Even worse is Canon's foolhardy decision to make their EXIF data non-standard
    and embed some important data in the Maker Notes. In some cameras the data is in
    an esoteric format that requires further deciphering, their Powershot's Auto-ISO
    data for example. Few programs ever read all Canon camera's EXIF data properly.
    Though there's some nice little batch tools written to put the EXIF fields back
    where they belong in their proper formats. It's just a shame to have to run
    those on every folder of Canon images before you can use them in any editing
    programs that are EXIF data dependent. (i.e. PTLens, all noise reduction
    utilities, panorama utilities, etc.)
    Harvey W., Aug 29, 2007
  5. Cynicor

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 01:06:17 GMT, Harvey W., trying to pass, wrote:

    >> I have my own that I wrote, and I can do it, but it would be nice to
    >> have it as a non-destructive option. (And by the way, a lot of other
    >> programs don't save the data properly either.)

    > Even worse is Canon's foolhardy decision to make their EXIF data
    > non-standard and embed some important data in the Maker Notes.
    > In some cameras the data is in an esoteric format that requires
    > further deciphering, their Powershot's Auto-ISO data for example.
    > Few programs ever read all Canon camera's EXIF data properly.

    Even worse, I heard that this is not a problem with Canon DSLRs or
    any of their P&S cameras that use the new DIGIC III engine. For the
    benefit of old-timers that can't learn new tricks, maybe proper EXIF
    translation should be added to CHDK. :)
    ASAAR, Aug 29, 2007