    appreciated. Thanks!

    www.lawsonstudio.com
    The World Through A Photographer's Eyes
    Jono, Oct 28, 2006

  2. Jono

    Frank ess Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > I was hoping to get some input on how effective my website
    > (www.lawsonstudio.com) design is. Any comments are very much
    > appreciated. Thanks!
    >
    > www.lawsonstudio.com
    > The World Through A Photographer's Eyes

    I've seen some friendly, constructive guidance by members of
    alt.www.webmaster

    Of course sometimes the criticism is not that helpful, or kind, but
    the competence, knowledge, and experience are there, too.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Oct 28, 2006

  3. Jono

    Frank ess Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > I was hoping to get some input on how effective my website
    > (www.lawsonstudio.com) design is. Any comments are very much
    > appreciated. Thanks!
    >
    > www.lawsonstudio.com
    > The World Through A Photographer's Eyes

    OK. I like your photos. Nice and clean and colorful and 'stockish'.

    Pretty clear to me they aren't really the focus of your site. It took
    a few seconds to suss a way to see them, to get past the 'news', 'who
    am I?', 'participate' noise and find the signal.

    For my money, it should be the other way around: show me some shots;
    if I want news, or who you are, or to participate, the quality of your
    _photography_ work will either draw me in or not, and I will or won't
    be interested in the window dressing based on how the photos affect
    me.

    Of course I have no idea what you mean by 'effective'. Perhaps another
    will have a viewpoint more in keeping with what I think you are after.
    What I see is 'A Photographer's View Of A Photographer Through That
    Photographer's Eyes (And A Bit Of The World, To Boot)'.

    More and bigger pictures up top. That's what I prefer.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Oct 28, 2006
  4. Jono wrote:
    > I was hoping to get some input on how effective my website
    > (www.lawsonstudio.com) design is. Any comments are very much
    > appreciated. Thanks!
    >
    > www.lawsonstudio.com
    > The World Through A Photographer's Eyes

    Well, since you ask...

    It's an over designed mess. Is it really supposed to be a photography
    website? If so, shouldn't it have a link somewhere near the top which
    users click on to see photographs? It seems it have everything but the
    kitchen sink in there, so perhaps there's no room. It rather looks like
    you've installed Wordpress and enabled pretty much all the features you
    could find. Why on earth should anyone /register/ with your website?

    The "My Photographs" link doesn't work for me, which I presume is
    because your theme is dependent on Javascript.

    I suggest you try to work out exactly want you want from the site. Is it
    a blog? A personal news portal of some sort? Somewhere to host your
    resume? Or the photography website you're pushing it to be? Decide, then
    clear out all the crap you've thrown in. Get some focus.

    The handful of photos I could get to see (linked directly from the main
    page) are pretty good, but they're far too big for the web.
    "Mountainside Prairie" is 488x375 pixels, which is fine, and almost 1MB
    which is not!

    Also, it's unwise to put your name, address and phone numbers on the
    web. People looking to steal identities don't have to work that hard as
    it is; don't make life easier for them.

    Oh, and it's the British Broadcasting /Corporation/, not Company.

    --
    http://www.derekfountain.org/
    Derek Fountain, Oct 28, 2006
  5. Jono

    Pat Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > I was hoping to get some input on how effective my website
    > (www.lawsonstudio.com) design is. Any comments are very much
    > appreciated. Thanks!
    >
    > www.lawsonstudio.com
    > The World Through A Photographer's Eyes

    Okay, I was about to blast you for having a totally ineffective website
    but then I clicked on your resume and see that you're a high school
    kid. Okay, you've earned the benefit of the doubt and a nicer
    response than an adult would get.

    Okay, the picture are pretty good. I'll start with that. There's only
    a dozen or so, but a great start. Lots of people have spent lots of
    time taking pictures and not gotten ones that good.

    But your website, it a disaster. It isn't that it's bad, it's that it
    isn't focuses.

    First, think what you are trying to promote. You are trying to promote
    either you or your pictures. So when I go to your website, I am
    greeted with an article about someone hacking the IPOD. So what. I
    don't give a d*#n. Then there's a calendar, a "sign in", and lots of
    things other than photographs. I think you might be using some sort of
    blogging software for a photos site or something like that.

    My suggestion is that you go study some other photo websites and see
    what works and what doesn't Them imitate what's good and avoid what's
    bad. On yours, you have to search to find the photos. That's nothing
    anyone is going to do. Get your photos out in the forefront.

    So all in all, I think you have some talent as a photographer and maybe
    as a blogger, but you have to work on your website design stuff.

    Good luck with it.
    Pat, Oct 29, 2006
  6. Jono

    Guest

    Pat wrote:
    > Jono wrote:
    > > I was hoping to get some input on how effective my website
    > > (www.lawsonstudio.com) design is. Any comments are very much
    > > appreciated. Thanks!
    > >
    > > www.lawsonstudio.com
    > > The World Through A Photographer's Eyes

    > Okay, I was about to blast you for having a totally ineffective website
    > but then I clicked on your resume and see that you're a high school
    > kid. Okay, you've earned the benefit of the doubt and a nicer
    > response than an adult would get.
    >
    > Okay, the picture are pretty good. I'll start with that. There's only
    > a dozen or so, but a great start. Lots of people have spent lots of
    > time taking pictures and not gotten ones that good.
    >
    > But your website, it a disaster. It isn't that it's bad, it's that it
    > isn't focuses.
    >
    > First, think what you are trying to promote. You are trying to promote
    > either you or your pictures. So when I go to your website, I am
    > greeted with an article about someone hacking the IPOD. So what. I
    > don't give a d*#n. Then there's a calendar, a "sign in", and lots of
    > things other than photographs. I think you might be using some sort of
    > blogging software for a photos site or something like that.
    >
    > My suggestion is that you go study some other photo websites and see
    > what works and what doesn't Them imitate what's good and avoid what's
    > bad. On yours, you have to search to find the photos. That's nothing
    > anyone is going to do. Get your photos out in the forefront.
    >
    > So all in all, I think you have some talent as a photographer and maybe
    > as a blogger, but you have to work on your website design stuff.
    >
    > Good luck with it.

    your site has a lot but not many photo's,when it should be
    photo's,photo's photos all the other stuff one can get anywhere so
    thereis no need for it on the site all you need is is photo's and use
    the best stuff you have and different photo's
    (i.e)wedding,studio,sports,news etc ,once you have your site sorted out
    post it and come back a few days later and see what you can change to
    give it more impact,it's a photo site right, impressions count.
    , Oct 29, 2006
  7. after all the input you received it is still the same.. kk

    www.kevinkienlein.com, Oct 30, 2006
  8. Jono

    marika Guest

    On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 21:06:59 -0400, Pat <>
    wrote:

    > Jono wrote:
    >> I was hoping to get some input on how effective my website
    >> (www.lawsonstudio.com) design is. Any comments are very much
    >> appreciated. Thanks!
    >>
    >> www.lawsonstudio.com
    >> The World Through A Photographer's Eyes

    > Okay, I was about to blast you for having a totally ineffective website
    > but then I clicked on your resume and see that you're a high school
    > kid.

    I am pretty sure everyone already heard this, they had it on NPR and
    places like that,

    marika, Nov 17, 2006