Photography question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector»NZ, Jul 1, 2007.

  1. Are Olympus Four Thirds mount lens interchangable with EF type lens as
    used by Canon

    Collector»NZ, Jul 1, 2007

  2. Collector»NZ

    frederick Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Are Olympus Four Thirds mount lens interchangable with EF type lens as
    > used by Canon

    No.
    You can fit many different lenses to Canon EF mount cameras via an
    adapter, but the image circle (4/3) is smaller than APS-c (EFs) 1:1.3
    crop (Canon 1d series) and much smaller than 35mm (film, Canon 5d/1ds
    series),
    For Olympus 4/3 - if you want pro quality glass, check the prices before
    you buy in to the system. The prices are crazy compared to Canon L or
    Nikkor.

    frederick, Jul 1, 2007

  3. frederick wrote:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >> Are Olympus Four Thirds mount lens interchangable with EF type lens
    >> as used by Canon

    > No.
    > You can fit many different lenses to Canon EF mount cameras via an
    > adapter, but the image circle (4/3) is smaller than APS-c (EFs) 1:1.3
    > crop (Canon 1d series) and much smaller than 35mm (film, Canon 5d/1ds
    > series),
    > For Olympus 4/3 - if you want pro quality glass, check the prices
    > before you buy in to the system. The prices are crazy compared to
    > Canon L or Nikkor.

    My reason for asking the question is I have several perfectly good EF
    lens with my film SLR and am currently considering the purchase of a
    digital SLR and might consider the olympus if my lens can be used with it

    Collector»NZ, Jul 2, 2007
  4. Collector»NZ

    frederick Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>> Are Olympus Four Thirds mount lens interchangable with EF type lens
    >>> as used by Canon

    >> No.
    >> You can fit many different lenses to Canon EF mount cameras via an
    >> adapter, but the image circle (4/3) is smaller than APS-c (EFs) 1:1.3
    >> crop (Canon 1d series) and much smaller than 35mm (film, Canon 5d/1ds
    >> series),
    >> For Olympus 4/3 - if you want pro quality glass, check the prices
    >> before you buy in to the system. The prices are crazy compared to
    >> Canon L or Nikkor.

    > My reason for asking the question is I have several perfectly good EF
    > lens with my film SLR and am currently considering the purchase of a
    > digital SLR and might consider the olympus if my lens can be used with it

    If you're happy with the Canon EF lenses - and they are worth keeping
    (ie worth more to you than you'll get for them on TradeMe) then don't
    get an Olympus 4/3 body.
    An old 350d or new 400d would seem to be the way to go, but might leave
    you lacking for a wide angle lens. Photo and Video in Chch were selling
    the better made and featured Canon 30d for less than $1500 new a few
    weeks ago, but that offer seems to have expired. The 18-55mm kit lens
    sold with Canon APS-c sensor dslrs has a pretty bad reputation, but it's
    probably not as bad as reported. There might be better third-party
    options for wide-angle if you don't want to buy a better Canon lens than
    the 18-55. I use Nikon, so can't really comment on what the best
    options are for Canon.

    What was it that appealed about the Olympus dslrs? I think some have
    live view on the rear LCD, which could be handy sometimes, but 4/3
    system cameras don't appeal much to me. Olympus makes some nice fast
    4/3 system lenses, but they are extremely expensive.

    frederick, Jul 2, 2007
  5. frederick wrote:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >> frederick wrote:
    >>> No.
    >>> You can fit many different lenses to Canon EF mount cameras via an
    >>> adapter, but the image circle (4/3) is smaller than APS-c (EFs)
    >>> 1:1.3 crop (Canon 1d series) and much smaller than 35mm (film, Canon
    >>> 5d/1ds series),
    >>> For Olympus 4/3 - if you want pro quality glass, check the prices
    >>> before you buy in to the system. The prices are crazy compared to
    >>> Canon L or Nikkor.

    >> My reason for asking the question is I have several perfectly good EF
    >> lens with my film SLR and am currently considering the purchase of a
    >> digital SLR and might consider the olympus if my lens can be used
    >> with it

    > If you're happy with the Canon EF lenses - and they are worth keeping
    > (ie worth more to you than you'll get for them on TradeMe) then don't
    > get an Olympus 4/3 body.
    > An old 350d or new 400d would seem to be the way to go, but might
    > leave you lacking for a wide angle lens. Photo and Video in Chch were
    > selling the better made and featured Canon 30d for less than $1500 new
    > a few weeks ago, but that offer seems to have expired. The 18-55mm kit
    > lens sold with Canon APS-c sensor dslrs has a pretty bad reputation,
    > but it's probably not as bad as reported. There might be better
    > third-party options for wide-angle if you don't want to buy a better
    > Canon lens than the 18-55. I use Nikon, so can't really comment on
    > what the best options are for Canon.
    >
    > What was it that appealed about the Olympus dslrs? I think some have
    > live view on the rear LCD, which could be handy sometimes, but 4/3
    > system cameras don't appeal much to me. Olympus makes some nice fast
    > 4/3 system lenses, but they are extremely expensive.

    Nothing particularly appealing about it, just exploring the options.
    Wide angle is a definate problem with Digitals I am discovering!

    Collector»NZ, Jul 2, 2007
  6. Collector»NZ

    frederick Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>> My reason for asking the question is I have several perfectly good EF
    >>> lens with my film SLR and am currently considering the purchase of a
    >>> digital SLR and might consider the olympus if my lens can be used
    >>> with it

    >> If you're happy with the Canon EF lenses - and they are worth keeping
    >> (ie worth more to you than you'll get for them on TradeMe) then don't
    >> get an Olympus 4/3 body.
    >> An old 350d or new 400d would seem to be the way to go, but might
    >> leave you lacking for a wide angle lens. Photo and Video in Chch were
    >> selling the better made and featured Canon 30d for less than $1500 new
    >> a few weeks ago, but that offer seems to have expired. The 18-55mm kit
    >> lens sold with Canon APS-c sensor dslrs has a pretty bad reputation,
    >> but it's probably not as bad as reported. There might be better
    >> third-party options for wide-angle if you don't want to buy a better
    >> Canon lens than the 18-55. I use Nikon, so can't really comment on
    >> what the best options are for Canon.
    >>
    >> What was it that appealed about the Olympus dslrs? I think some have
    >> live view on the rear LCD, which could be handy sometimes, but 4/3
    >> system cameras don't appeal much to me. Olympus makes some nice fast
    >> 4/3 system lenses, but they are extremely expensive.

    > Nothing particularly appealing about it, just exploring the options.
    > Wide angle is a definate problem with Digitals I am discovering!

    You can solve the problem for the price of a Canon 5d body if you've got
    Canon lenses.
    For ultra wide lenses for 350d/400d/30d theres the Canon EFs 10-22 for a
    few hundred $ more than the Sigma (10-20) Tamron (11-17 - and don't buy
    it) or Tokina (12-24) third-party zoom lenses.
    Olympus make a 4/3 7-14 f4 - so equivalent focal length to the lenses
    above. It costs over US$1500 in the US (vs about 1/3 of that for the
    Sigma 10-20), and there's no third-party 4/3 lenses of that focal
    length. That's why the cheap Olympus 4/3 cameras might turn out to be
    not so cheap - unless you are happy to stay with just the basic lenses.

    frederick, Jul 2, 2007
  7. Collector»NZ

    Jerry Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>> My reason for asking the question is I have several perfectly good EF
    >>> lens with my film SLR and am currently considering the purchase of a
    >>> digital SLR and might consider the olympus if my lens can be used
    >>> with it

    >> If you're happy with the Canon EF lenses - and they are worth keeping
    >> (ie worth more to you than you'll get for them on TradeMe) then don't
    >> get an Olympus 4/3 body.
    >> An old 350d or new 400d would seem to be the way to go, but might
    >> leave you lacking for a wide angle lens. Photo and Video in Chch were
    >> selling the better made and featured Canon 30d for less than $1500 new
    >> a few weeks ago, but that offer seems to have expired. The 18-55mm kit
    >> lens sold with Canon APS-c sensor dslrs has a pretty bad reputation,
    >> but it's probably not as bad as reported. There might be better
    >> third-party options for wide-angle if you don't want to buy a better
    >> Canon lens than the 18-55. I use Nikon, so can't really comment on
    >> what the best options are for Canon.
    >>
    >> What was it that appealed about the Olympus dslrs? I think some have
    >> live view on the rear LCD, which could be handy sometimes, but 4/3
    >> system cameras don't appeal much to me. Olympus makes some nice fast
    >> 4/3 system lenses, but they are extremely expensive.

    > Nothing particularly appealing about it, just exploring the options.
    > Wide angle is a definate problem with Digitals I am discovering!

    Not if you want to spend big bucks for a full frame sensor. I have a
    30D with a Canon EFS 10-22 lens, which covers wide angle nicely. The
    35mm equivalent is 16-35 (1.6 crop factor). Buy that for wide angle and
    all your existing lenses will work on a 300-350-400D or 20-30D. You get
    a 1.6 conversion for your existing lenses of course.

    Jerry, Jul 2, 2007
  8. Collector»NZ

    Jerry Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >> frederick wrote:
    >>>
    >>> If you're happy with the Canon EF lenses - and they are worth keeping
    >>> (ie worth more to you than you'll get for them on TradeMe) then don't
    >>> get an Olympus 4/3 body.
    >>> An old 350d or new 400d would seem to be the way to go, but might
    >>> leave you lacking for a wide angle lens. Photo and Video in Chch
    >>> were selling the better made and featured Canon 30d for less than
    >>> $1500 new a few weeks ago, but that offer seems to have expired. The
    >>> 18-55mm kit lens sold with Canon APS-c sensor dslrs has a pretty bad
    >>> reputation, but it's probably not as bad as reported. There might be
    >>> better third-party options for wide-angle if you don't want to buy a
    >>> better Canon lens than the 18-55. I use Nikon, so can't really
    >>> comment on what the best options are for Canon.
    >>>
    >>> What was it that appealed about the Olympus dslrs? I think some have
    >>> live view on the rear LCD, which could be handy sometimes, but 4/3
    >>> system cameras don't appeal much to me. Olympus makes some nice fast
    >>> 4/3 system lenses, but they are extremely expensive.

    >> Nothing particularly appealing about it, just exploring the options.
    >> Wide angle is a definate problem with Digitals I am discovering!

    > Not if you want to spend big bucks for a full frame sensor. I have a
    > 30D with a Canon EFS 10-22 lens, which covers wide angle nicely. The
    > 35mm equivalent is 16-35 (1.6 crop factor). Buy that for wide angle and
    > all your existing lenses will work on a 300-350-400D or 20-30D. You get
    > a 1.6 conversion for your existing lenses of course.

    What I meant was your existing lenses will work on any EOS digital, an S
    type lens will onlyu work on the cameras listed

    Jerry, Jul 2, 2007