    the answer at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I
    have a time-sensitive project due and I'm a little behind! Thanks!
    , May 24, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > I am attempting to set up a digital photography studio at my business.
    > I have a Sony DSC-R1 digital camera and lights by Norman. However,
    > there is no input for the cords from the lights/external flash into the
    > camera. I was told to purchase a hot shoe-to-hot shoe safe sync
    > device, which I did. The safe sync slid onto the camera, and the cord
    > plugged into the sync as well. I thought I had my problem solved, but
    > nothing works. Is there more to it than this, or is a safe sync not
    > the answer at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I
    > have a time-sensitive project due and I'm a little behind! Thanks!

    Hi,

    What flash settings have you set on your camera? I don't have a DSC-R1,
    but from what I've read in various photo related online forums, you'll
    either have to disable the internal flash or put it in forced mode
    (always flash). Mind you, these are all posts concerning a plethora of
    othe camera models, but I guess it may serve as a starting point for
    you anyway.

    If your strobes have some sort of built-in flash sync, you should even
    be able to use the camera flash to trigger the externals by enabling
    sync mode on the strobes.

    HTH.

    --
    -tomB
    Tom Benjaminsen, May 25, 2006

  3. wilt Guest

    Sometimes it matters about the polarity of the cord into the synch
    socket of the power pack. If that cable has a dual prong connector
    somewhat similar to the US ac power outlet, try simply turning the plug
    180 degrees and plug it back in!
    wilt, May 25, 2006
  4. joe mama Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I am attempting to set up a digital photography studio at my business.
    > I have a Sony DSC-R1 digital camera and lights by Norman. However,
    > there is no input for the cords from the lights/external flash into the
    > camera. I was told to purchase a hot shoe-to-hot shoe safe sync
    > device, which I did. The safe sync slid onto the camera, and the cord
    > plugged into the sync as well. I thought I had my problem solved, but
    > nothing works. Is there more to it than this, or is a safe sync not
    > the answer at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I
    > have a time-sensitive project due and I'm a little behind! Thanks!

    I have a DSC-V3 and you have to disable the built-in flash in the setup
    menu. actually, you are setting the camera to EXT flash. then, like the
    other guy suggested, set the flash to fire every shot.

    I have two different units (Calumet and Balcar). The Calumet has no
    problems, and only has a sync voltage of 5 volts, so no Wein unit is needed.
    The Balcar--on the other hand--is a blowtorch. I have the Wein safe sync,
    but it doesn't want to work with that unit. Maybe I'll try the polarity
    thing that the poster before me suggested.

    Also, be prepared to really set your flash output low, and your shutter
    speeds high. My units are 750 and 900ws, and they never get past low power
    for the digital setup. You could obviously get by with one, or a couple of
    those low powered monolight setups you see everywhere.

    Good luck....
    joe mama, May 25, 2006