Photography book?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Eric Babula, Nov 14, 2006.

  1. Eric Babula

    Eric Babula Guest

    So, I'm already having to think about my Christmas Want List. Ugh!

    I'm planning on buying a new dSLR for the wifey and me. We're
    'beginners' at real photography, so we don't need anything as advanced
    as the Nikon D200, yet. I'm leaning toward either the Nikon D50 or
    Pentax K100D, right now. We'll see what comes out just before Christmas,
    tho.

    Anyway - I want to learn more about how to take really good photographs
    with a dSLR, or any SLR for that matter. To this point I've been using
    point-and-shoot cameras, and our Nikon D65 in Program mode (basically as
    a point-and-shoot). I want to learn more about the various aspects of
    the SLR, in order to get even better pics than I've been taking
    (Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO changes, etc., etc.). So, want to add at
    least one photography book to my Christmas Want List.

    Any suggestions on a really good photography or digital photography book
    for me to add to my list? I've looked at Amazon.com, but there are so
    many choices! Where does one begin? I guess I'd like a book that takes
    me thru the basics, but also continues into more intermediate/advanced
    photo techniques. Anyone have personal experience with 'The Digital
    Photography Book', by Scott Kelby? It gets good reviews on Amazon. Or,
    'The Better Photo Guide To Digital Photography', by Jim Miotke? Is it
    worth it to get 'Photography for Dummies', or 'Digital Photography for
    Dummies', or 'Digital SLR Cameras & Photography for Dummies'? Geez - so
    many Dummies volumes! Anything better that you would highly suggest?

    TIA for your help!

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

    Eric Babula, Nov 14, 2006

  2. Eric Babula

    JC Dill Guest

    On 14 Nov 2006 15:00:50 GMT, Eric Babula <> wrote:

    >Anyone have personal experience with 'The Digital
    >Photography Book', by Scott Kelby?

    I have, and frequently recommend, Kelby's book "Photoshop for Digital
    Photographers". His writing style is very easy to read, very easy to
    follow, and his tips are fantastic. I haven't read the book you
    mention above but I wouldn't hesitate to suggest you buy it given how
    much I like his other books.

    If his photography book doesn't cover using Photoshop or Photoshop
    Elements to improve your photos after you have taken them, get the
    appropriate PfDP to match the version of P or PE you will be using.
    Learn how to take good photos then learn how to make the most of them
    in photoshop and you will be well on your way!

    jc

    ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA

    JC Dill, Nov 14, 2006

  3. Eric Babula

    Drodbar Guest

    I put it to you, Eric Babula, that on 14 Nov 2006 15:00:50 GMT you did
    state the following;

    Drodbar, Nov 14, 2006
  4. Eric Babula

    CRTIQ Guest

    In article <Xns987B5BAE649Aebabulacare2com@66.192.254.230>,
    Eric Babula <> wrote:

    > So, I'm already having to think about my Christmas Want List. Ugh!
    >
    > I'm planning on buying a new dSLR for the wifey and me. We're
    > 'beginners' at real photography, so we don't need anything as advanced
    > as the Nikon D200, yet. I'm leaning toward either the Nikon D50 or
    > Pentax K100D, right now. We'll see what comes out just before Christmas,
    > tho.
    >
    > Anyway - I want to learn more about how to take really good photographs
    > with a dSLR, or any SLR for that matter. To this point I've been using
    > point-and-shoot cameras, and our Nikon D65 in Program mode (basically as
    > a point-and-shoot). I want to learn more about the various aspects of
    > the SLR, in order to get even better pics than I've been taking
    > (Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO changes, etc., etc.). So, want to add at
    > least one photography book to my Christmas Want List.
    >
    > Any suggestions on a really good photography or digital photography book
    > for me to add to my list?
    > I've looked at Amazon.com, but there are so
    > many choices! Where does one begin? I guess I'd like a book that takes
    > me thru the basics, but also continues into more intermediate/advanced
    > photo techniques. Anyone have personal experience with 'The Digital
    > Photography Book', by Scott Kelby? It gets good reviews on Amazon. Or,
    > 'The Better Photo Guide To Digital Photography', by Jim Miotke? Is it
    > worth it to get 'Photography for Dummies', or 'Digital Photography for
    > Dummies', or 'Digital SLR Cameras & Photography for Dummies'? Geez - so
    > many Dummies volumes! Anything better that you would highly suggest?
    >
    > TIA for your help!

    I would recommend any of John Hedgecoes books on photography, but this
    one will do:

    http://www.amazon.com/New-Manual-Photography-John-Hedgecoe/dp/0789496372/
    sr=8-1/qid=1163529860/ref=sr_1_1/104-4985334-1607937?ie=UTF8&s=books

    And this one.

    http://www.amazon.com/John-Hedgecoes-Photography-Basics-Revised/dp/140273
    5650

    After you learn about photography basic you can get a book that helps
    with digital processing. If you are going to get Photoshop CS2, which
    you should, I would recommend:

    http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Digital-Photographers-Voices-Matter/dp/03
    21330625/sr=1-2/qid=1163530045/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-4985334-1607937?ie=UTF8&s
    =books

    Stay away from the Dummies books.

    CRTIQ, Nov 14, 2006
  5. Eric Babula

    Eric Babula Guest

    JC Dill <> wrote in

    > On 14 Nov 2006 15:00:50 GMT, Eric Babula <> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone have personal experience with 'The Digital
    >>Photography Book', by Scott Kelby?

    > I have, and frequently recommend, Kelby's book "Photoshop for Digital
    > Photographers". His writing style is very easy to read, very easy to
    > follow, and his tips are fantastic. I haven't read the book you
    > mention above but I wouldn't hesitate to suggest you buy it given how
    > much I like his other books.
    >
    > If his photography book doesn't cover using Photoshop or Photoshop
    > Elements to improve your photos after you have taken them, get the
    > appropriate PfDP to match the version of P or PE you will be using.
    > Learn how to take good photos then learn how to make the most of them
    > in photoshop and you will be well on your way!
    >
    > jc

    Thanks. That's one thing I wasn't really thinking of - post-photo-
    processing.

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

    Eric Babula, Nov 14, 2006
  6. Eric Babula

    Eric Babula Guest

    Eric Babula <> wrote in

    > Any suggestions on a really good photography or digital photography
    > book for me to add to my list?
    >
    > TIA for your help!

    Did some Googling around, and found multiple suggestions for these
    books:

    Kodak Guide to 35mm Photography

    National Geographic Field Guide to Photography

    Any comments on these two?

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

    Eric Babula, Nov 14, 2006
  7. Eric Babula

    CRTIQ Guest

    In article <Xns987B85E531B9Aebabulacare2com@66.192.254.230>,
    Eric Babula <> wrote:

    > Eric Babula <> wrote in
    >

    > > Any suggestions on a really good photography or digital photography
    > > book for me to add to my list?
    > >
    > > TIA for your help!
    > >

    > Did some Googling around, and found multiple suggestions for these
    > books:
    >
    > Kodak Guide to 35mm Photography

    I would not recommend this because it deal too much with film technology.

    CRTIQ, Nov 14, 2006
  8. Eric Babula

    JC Dill Guest

    On 14 Nov 2006 19:03:47 GMT, Eric Babula <> wrote:

    >Thanks. That's one thing I wasn't really thinking of - post-photo-
    >processing.

    Think of them as a team. In the film era, we learned about what we
    could do in-camera, how we could process the negative, and how we
    could process the print. In the digital age we learn what we can do
    in-camera, how to "process the negative" (when shooting in a raw mode)
    and how we can process the image in Photoshop (or similar software) to
    produce the final image.

    So, while it's important to know what you can do with Photoshop, it's
    also important to do the best you can in the camera.

    Good luck!

    JC Dill, Nov 14, 2006
  9. Eric Babula

    Olli Guest

    Eric Babula wrote:
    --
    > Anyway - I want to learn more about how to take really good
    > photographs with a dSLR, or any SLR for that matter. To this point
    > I've been using point-and-shoot cameras, and our Nikon D65 in Program
    > mode (basically as a point-and-shoot). I want to learn more about the
    > various aspects of the SLR, in order to get even better pics than
    > I've been taking (Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO changes, etc., etc.).
    > So, want to add at least one photography book to my Christmas Want
    > List.
    >
    > Any suggestions on a really good photography or digital photography
    > book for me to add to my list? I've looked at Amazon.com, but there
    > are so many choices! Where does one begin? I guess I'd like a book
    > that takes me thru the basics, but also continues into more
    > intermediate/advanced photo techniques.

    Even thiugh you asked for book of photo techniques, I recommend getting
    photo books of your favourite photographers as well. While you photograph
    yourself and learn techniques, its important to see what to do with them and
    where you want int to take you.

    Its the photos which inspire you. My favourites are so different
    photographers as Josef Sudek, Helmut Newton (early production) and
    Cartier-Bresson, just to name a few.

    Here are some to start with, incl. Sudek:
    http://www.masters-of-fine-art-photography.com/02/artphotogallery/02.html

    Olli Orkoneva

    Olli, Nov 15, 2006
  10. If you're happy with an electronic approach, consider investing in the
    123di.com program. Very comprehensive, and allows for animated
    demonstrations, which add a lot. There's a free demo so you can have a
    play and see if you like it.

    Georgie Charles, Nov 15, 2006
  11. Eric Babula

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Eric,

    I used to work as a Technical Editor and our group was responsible for that
    book. It later went to the Silver Pixel Press which was sold to another
    company. It was a book rich in content for that format. There is also the
    How To Take Better Pictures which was the basis for much of the initial
    content offered on our web site. There are some great reviews and references
    on kodak.com and you may want to take a look.

    http://www.kodak.com/go/takegreatpictures

    Great site and lots of references and links.

    Talk to you soon.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Nov 15, 2006
  12. Eric Babula

    Stewy Guest

    Eric Babula <> wrote:

    > So, I'm already having to think about my Christmas Want List. Ugh!
    >
    > I'm planning on buying a new dSLR for the wifey and me. We're
    > 'beginners' at real photography, so we don't need anything as advanced
    > as the Nikon D200, yet. I'm leaning toward either the Nikon D50 or
    > Pentax K100D, right now. We'll see what comes out just before Christmas,
    > tho.
    >
    > Anyway - I want to learn more about how to take really good photographs
    > with a dSLR, or any SLR for that matter. To this point I've been using
    > point-and-shoot cameras, and our Nikon D65 in Program mode (basically as
    > a point-and-shoot). I want to learn more about the various aspects of
    > the SLR, in order to get even better pics than I've been taking
    > (Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO changes, etc., etc.). So, want to add at
    > least one photography book to my Christmas Want List.
    >
    > Any suggestions on a really good photography or digital photography book
    > for me to add to my list? I've looked at Amazon.com, but there are so
    > many choices! Where does one begin? I guess I'd like a book that takes
    > me thru the basics, but also continues into more intermediate/advanced
    > photo techniques. Anyone have personal experience with 'The Digital
    > Photography Book', by Scott Kelby? It gets good reviews on Amazon. Or,
    > 'The Better Photo Guide To Digital Photography', by Jim Miotke? Is it
    > worth it to get 'Photography for Dummies', or 'Digital Photography for
    > Dummies', or 'Digital SLR Cameras & Photography for Dummies'? Geez - so
    > many Dummies volumes! Anything better that you would highly suggest?

    One new camera for both of you?

    Are you sure it's for you both?

    I'd advise buying a second non-dslr like the Canon Powershot or Fuji
    S7000. Women tend to be less awed by huge pieces of equipment and are
    often more practical when it come to lugging the thing around. Also if
    your pictures fail to make the "Ansel Adams" grade (in your opinion) a
    cheaper camera sitting in a drawer won't look so much of an albatross.
    Digitals lose their value very quickly.

    Stewy, Nov 16, 2006
  13. Eric Babula

    Eric Babula Guest

    Stewy <> wrote in

    > One new camera for both of you?
    >
    > Are you sure it's for you both?
    >
    > I'd advise buying a second non-dslr like the Canon Powershot or
    > Fuji S7000. Women tend to be less awed by huge pieces of equipment
    > and are often more practical when it come to lugging the thing
    > around. Also if your pictures fail to make the "Ansel Adams" grade
    > (in your opinion) a cheaper camera sitting in a drawer won't look
    > so much of an albatross. Digitals lose their value very quickly.

    Actually, last year I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5. It's a very nice
    camera, and quite a bit smaller than the dSLR will be. Right now, I use
    that one, and my wife uses our Nikon N65 (film camera). She uses waaaaay
    too much film, so I'm getting a second digital camera for us. She can
    use whichever one she wants to, and I'll use the other. But, when it
    comes to our daughters' volleyball games, I'll be using the dSLR - the
    FZ5 just doesn't cut it for that kind of photography.

    I'm also planning on buying the kids their own digital cameras - leaning
    toward something like the Canon A530 for their first one.

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

    Eric Babula, Nov 17, 2006
  14. Eric Babula

    Eric Babula Guest

    "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> wrote
    in news::

    > My recommendation: none of the above.
    > Get all books by John Shaw (but then it depends on the
    > type of photography you do, and you didn't tell us).
    >
    > Also, depending on the type of photography you want to do, it
    > could point to the model camera you might get.
    >
    > Roger
    > Photos at:

    Basically, I was just hoping to learn how to actually use the dSLR
    (learning the basics of photography), rather than just use it as a point-
    and-shoot. I wasn't really thinking of 'specializing' in any particular
    type of photography.

    Most of the photo-taking that we do is family vacation-type stuff. We
    like going out West (Glacier Nat'l Park, Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park,
    Yellowstone, etc.) and go hiking/camping in the mountains. So, general
    mountain-type scenes, wildlife (deer, elk, buffalo, grizzly bears!),
    flowers, etc.

    Of course, we take the normal family pictures, too (birthdays, holidays,
    etc.).

    Also, one of the main reasons I want to upgrade to a dSLR from my
    Panasonic FZ5 is to get great pics of my daughters' volleyball games. I
    just can't seem to get good pics with the FZ5 - it just has too hard of a
    time with indoor, low-light action photography with no flash.

    Another type of photography I want to do is take great macro pics of
    coins. The FZ5 does a good job, but a dSLR will undoubtedly be able to do
    much better, IF I learn the ins and outs of photography.

    And, my wife has a pretty good eye for shooting pics of children. I want
    to encourage her to pursue that more.

    Does that help you understand us, a bit more? Heck, if it helps you give
    me better advice, that would be very cool!

    Thanks!

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

    Eric Babula, Nov 20, 2006

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Nov 20, 2006

    Photos at: http://www.clarkvision.com/

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Nov 20, 2006
  17. Eric Babula wrote:

    > "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> wrote
    > in news::
    >
    >>My recommendation: none of the above.
    >>Get all books by John Shaw (but then it depends on the
    >>type of photography you do, and you didn't tell us).
    >>
    >>Also, depending on the type of photography you want to do, it
    >>could point to the model camera you might get.

    > Basically, I was just hoping to learn how to actually use the dSLR
    > (learning the basics of photography), rather than just use it as a point-
    > and-shoot. I wasn't really thinking of 'specializing' in any particular
    > type of photography.
    >
    > Most of the photo-taking that we do is family vacation-type stuff. We
    > like going out West (Glacier Nat'l Park, Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park,
    > Yellowstone, etc.) and go hiking/camping in the mountains. So, general
    > mountain-type scenes, wildlife (deer, elk, buffalo, grizzly bears!),
    > flowers, etc.
    >
    > Of course, we take the normal family pictures, too (birthdays, holidays,
    > etc.).
    >
    > Also, one of the main reasons I want to upgrade to a dSLR from my
    > Panasonic FZ5 is to get great pics of my daughters' volleyball games. I
    > just can't seem to get good pics with the FZ5 - it just has too hard of a
    > time with indoor, low-light action photography with no flash.
    >
    > Another type of photography I want to do is take great macro pics of
    > coins. The FZ5 does a good job, but a dSLR will undoubtedly be able to do
    > much better, IF I learn the ins and outs of photography.
    >
    > And, my wife has a pretty good eye for shooting pics of children. I want
    > to encourage her to pursue that more.
    >
    > Does that help you understand us, a bit more? Heck, if it helps you give
    > me better advice, that would be very cool!
    >
    > Thanks!

    The John Shaw books would be ideal in my opinion.

    For sports, you need pretty fast cameras. While most (all?)
    DSLRs are pretty fast compared to P&S, some DSLRs are faster
    that others. It depends on your budget. Image stabilized
    lenses are also a big plus. You don't need to get everything all
    at once, but you want to look at the lens lineup to see of
    the maker has the type of lenses you want to ultimately
    get. Many DSLRs at the low end are in the 2.5 to 3 frames per second.
    A step up would be 5 frames per second, and top pro models
    8+ frames per second. For sports, 5 frames per second is very
    nice (it's not just the frames per second, as the mid range
    have better autofocus speeds and in general respond faster).

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Nov 20, 2006
  18. Eric Babula

    wrote in news::

    > The John Shaw books would be ideal in my opinion.
    >
    > For sports, you need pretty fast cameras. While most (all?)
    > DSLRs are pretty fast compared to P&S, some DSLRs are faster
    > that others. It depends on your budget. Image stabilized
    > lenses are also a big plus. You don't need to get everything all
    > at once, but you want to look at the lens lineup to see of
    > the maker has the type of lenses you want to ultimately
    > get. Many DSLRs at the low end are in the 2.5 to 3 frames per
    > second. A step up would be 5 frames per second, and top pro models
    > 8+ frames per second. For sports, 5 frames per second is very
    > nice (it's not just the frames per second, as the mid range
    > have better autofocus speeds and in general respond faster).
    >
    > Roger

    I'll look into the John Shaw books.

    As for the camera, since this will be my first DSLR, I was hoping to get
    the entire kit for around $1000 US. I do want the IS/VR (whatever).
    Right now, I'm leaning toward the Pentax K100D, with IS in the camera,
    rather than the lenses, like the Nikon D50. These two cameras seem to be
    generally pretty comparable. But, I think I'm liking the IS inside the
    camera body - would be cheaper in the end, when I want other/better
    lenses.

    Thanks for your help!

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

    Eric Babula, Nov 20, 2006
  19. Eric Babula

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:16:48 +0000, Eric Babula wrote:

    > "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <>
    > wrote in news::
    >

    >> The John Shaw books would be ideal in my opinion.
    >>
    >> For sports, you need pretty fast cameras. While most (all?)
    >> DSLRs are pretty fast compared to P&S, some DSLRs are faster
    >> that others. It depends on your budget. Image stabilized
    >> lenses are also a big plus. You don't need to get everything all
    >> at once, but you want to look at the lens lineup to see of
    >> the maker has the type of lenses you want to ultimately
    >> get. Many DSLRs at the low end are in the 2.5 to 3 frames per
    >> second. A step up would be 5 frames per second, and top pro models
    >> 8+ frames per second. For sports, 5 frames per second is very
    >> nice (it's not just the frames per second, as the mid range
    >> have better autofocus speeds and in general respond faster).
    >>
    >> Roger
    >>

    > I'll look into the John Shaw books.
    >
    > As for the camera, since this will be my first DSLR, I was hoping to get
    > the entire kit for around $1000 US. I do want the IS/VR (whatever).
    > Right now, I'm leaning toward the Pentax K100D, with IS in the camera,
    > rather than the lenses, like the Nikon D50. These two cameras seem to be
    > generally pretty comparable. But, I think I'm liking the IS inside the
    > camera body - would be cheaper in the end, when I want other/better
    > lenses.
    >
    > Thanks for your help!

    A piece of advice--master the FZ, then think about a DSLR. When you not
    only know what you want to fix, but also know exactly how the DSLR will
    fix it, _then_ it's time to consider the DSLR--don't just assume that it's
    going to be "better".

    To outperform the FZ, you're likely going to want at least one
    "other/better" lens at the outset--the kit lens doesn't have a lot going
    for it for any of the purposes you describe.

    Even so, for coins you're going to need to work on lighting and camera
    support--the FZ can do a fine job on them with the right support and
    lighting--those matter more than the camera--and to get that right is
    going to cost you about as much as an entry-level DSLR.

    --
    X:\Newsreaders\sig.txt

    J. Clarke, Nov 20, 2006
  20. Eric Babula

    JC Dill Guest

    On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 04:47:47 GMT, Eric Babula <>
    wrote:

    >Also, one of the main reasons I want to upgrade to a dSLR from my
    >Panasonic FZ5 is to get great pics of my daughters' volleyball games. I
    >just can't seem to get good pics with the FZ5 - it just has too hard of a
    >time with indoor, low-light action photography with no flash.

    You do understand that this is very hard to do, right? Even with a
    good understanding of your camera's functions and the choices you can
    make to get good action shots, expect to take a LOT of shots to get
    just a few good ones. And then expect to spend time editing the image
    to reduce noise, adjust color and contrast, crop, etc. before you
    have a great shot.

    JC Dill, Nov 20, 2006