    that might be part of it there. And no, I can't just stick the lens through
    the links in the fence - that would be too easy.

    Anyway, I'm using an Olympus C720, on about 5x zoom setting.
    Eigenvector, Aug 6, 2003

  2. Eigenvector

    Wyatt80 Guest

    >Subject: photographing something through a chain link fence
    >From: "Eigenvector"

    >What's the best method of doing this? I'm trying to capture a object that is

    about 75 yards away
    >behind a chain link fence. >my camera to focus on anything but the actual

    fence itself.>
    >Anyway, I'm using an Olympus C720, on about 5x zoom setting.

    I have shot trough a fence by zooming to 200 mm and opening the lens , while
    manually focusing. I dont know if , you can get a 35 mm to use .
    Wyatt80, Aug 6, 2003

  3. Eigenvector

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Put the lens against the fence. I mean actually touch the fence.
    I don't remember the technical explanation but the fence will disappear or just
    show as a slight blur.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Aug 6, 2003
  4. Eigenvector

    Frank ess Guest

    "Eigenvector" <> wrote in message
    > What's the best method of doing this? I'm trying to capture a object that
    > is about 75 yards away, small car to be exact, but the thing is parked
    > behind a chain link fence. Its a really neat car, but danged if I can get
    > my camera to focus on anything but the actual fence itself. I've tried
    > locking the focus but its like a focal magnet, one click and bang I get a
    > nice crisp image of the metal links in the fence and a blurry image of the
    > car. I have to zoom in quite a bit to get the car to a reasonable size so
    > that might be part of it there. And no, I can't just stick the lens

    through
    > the links in the fence - that would be too easy.
    >
    > Anyway, I'm using an Olympus C720, on about 5x zoom setting.

    If the fence and the subject are too close together, you are out of luck,
    mostly.

    Is your monopod long enough to look over the fence? That and a timer or
    cable release will give you a chance to learn if you can point properly at
    the end of a pole. An alternative would be panning on an arc with the
    subject at the center. Chain link fences pretty much disappear under some
    panning conditions.
    http://www.fototime.com/42A3EBF33D5C1A0/orig.jpg
    http://www.fototime.com/9B039A2EE048B8B/orig.jpg

    Of course the problem is with your equipment. It should keep focus when you
    tell it to.
    Frank ess, Aug 6, 2003
  5. Eigenvector

    JK Guest

    If your camera doesn't have a manual focus option, you can focus on
    something that looks to be a similar distance away, then lock in the
    distance. Set the camera on manual and experiment with exposure.

    JK, Aug 6, 2003
  6. Eigenvector

    JK Guest

    I also forgot to mention to open the aperture as much as possible
    so the depth of field will be minimized, and hopefully the fence
    will almost disappear.
    JK, Aug 6, 2003
  7. Eigenvector

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Eigenvector wrote:

    > What's the best method of doing this? I'm trying to capture a object that
    > is about 75 yards away, small car to be exact, but the thing is parked
    > behind a chain link fence. Its a really neat car, but danged if I can get
    > my camera to focus on anything but the actual fence itself. I've tried
    > locking the focus but its like a focal magnet, one click and bang I get a
    > nice crisp image of the metal links in the fence and a blurry image of the
    > car. I have to zoom in quite a bit to get the car to a reasonable size so
    > that might be part of it there. And no, I can't just stick the lens through
    > the links in the fence - that would be too easy.
    >
    > Anyway, I'm using an Olympus C720, on about 5x zoom setting.

    Use the highest zoom you can... Get the lens as close to the fence as you can
    and shoot throught an opening. Use your fingers as spacers to keep the lens
    from touching the fence and to keep the camera steady.

    I shoot airplanes regularly this way..

    You have to get close and shoot through an opening, othewise the fence will
    show (even though it's out of focus).
    Jim Townsend, Aug 6, 2003
  8. "Eigenvector" <> wrote in message
    > What's the best method of doing this? I'm trying to capture a object that
    > is about 75 yards away, small car to be exact, but the thing is parked

    Hmm... small car, eh... this appears to be a thinly veiled attempt at
    voyeurism. wink wink

    Be sure to post the nudes once you get them! ;)

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training
    with a sick mind
    Phil, Squid-in-Training, Aug 6, 2003
  9. Eigenvector

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Move up as close as you can to the fence and the lens will focus beyond it.
    Frame what you are after between the links and then crop the edges off the
    final shot.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 6, 2003
  10. Eigenvector

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Tony Spadaro wrote:

    > Move up as close as you can to the fence and the lens will focus beyond it.
    > Frame what you are after between the links and then crop the edges off the
    > final shot.
    >
    > --

    And to prove that this works, (although at the time I thought the lens
    was well centered through a gap in the fence)
    http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/cars.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=468

    --
    Paul. (I never agreed to be Your holy one)
    Not what it seems...
    Paul Heslop, Aug 6, 2003
  11. Eigenvector

    Kenny Guest

    "Wyatt80" <> wrote in message
    > >Subject: photographing something through a chain link fence
    > >From: "Eigenvector"

    > >What's the best method of doing this? I'm trying to capture a object

    that is
    > about 75 yards away
    > >behind a chain link fence. >my camera to focus on anything but the

    actual
    > fence itself.>
    > >Anyway, I'm using an Olympus C720, on about 5x zoom setting.

    > I have shot trough a fence by zooming to 200 mm and opening the lens ,

    while
    > manually focusing. I dont know if , you can get a 35 mm to use .

    Another good trick is to use some matt black aerosol spray paint on a
    small area of the fence. This makes it virtually 'disappear. It is a lot
    easier with an SLR/DSLR due to the DOF problems and lack of aperture
    control of a lot of P&S cameras.

    Kenny
    Kenny, Aug 6, 2003
  12. Eigenvector

    Eigenvector Guest

    "JK" <> wrote in message
    > If your camera doesn't have a manual focus option, you can focus on
    > something that looks to be a similar distance away, then lock in the
    > distance. Set the camera on manual and experiment with exposure.

    That sounds like the best bet for me here. I'll have to practice my
    technique though, from my limited experience the C720 doesn't do focus
    locking very well. I was hoping it would do manual focusing, but no such
    luck.

    As to painting the fence comment - I don't think the track security would
    appreciate me painting grafitti on their fence no matter how innocent it
    might be.

    Eigenvector, Aug 7, 2003
  13. > Another good trick is to use some matt black aerosol spray paint on a
    > small area of the fence. This makes it virtually 'disappear.

    If you are going to go that far, (carrying around cans of spray paint and
    vandalizing property) why not just carry cutters and cut a big opening in
    the fence?

    Why has no one suggested going on the other side of the fence to take the
    picture? Because it is private property that they are not going to be
    allowed on? In that case, you shouldn't be taking pictures of their
    property. If you had permission to take the pictures, you would be on the
    other side of the fence and would not need to worry how to shoot through it.

    At least that is how it seems to me. I always go around the fence if it is
    in my way. Since this option does not seem to come up, one wonders what
    people are taking pictures of here that they should not be taking?
    Jon Wordsworth, Aug 7, 2003
  14. Eigenvector

    Eigenvector Guest

    "Jon Wordsworth" <> wrote in message
    > > Another good trick is to use some matt black aerosol spray paint on a
    > > small area of the fence. This makes it virtually 'disappear.

    > If you are going to go that far, (carrying around cans of spray paint and
    > vandalizing property) why not just carry cutters and cut a big opening in
    > the fence?
    >
    > Why has no one suggested going on the other side of the fence to take the
    > picture? Because it is private property that they are not going to be
    > allowed on? In that case, you shouldn't be taking pictures of their
    > property. If you had permission to take the pictures, you would be on

    the
    > other side of the fence and would not need to worry how to shoot through

    it.

    > At least that is how it seems to me. I always go around the fence if it

    is
    > in my way. Since this option does not seem to come up, one wonders what
    > people are taking pictures of here that they should not be taking?

    Not everyone is allowed on the racetrack when cars are zooming by! Also,
    people are severely restricted from going onto airport runways as well.
    Even something as simple as a shipping dock is restricted. These are images
    of public or non-sensitive items, but for safetys sake access is restricted.

    Eigenvector, Aug 7, 2003
  15. "Jon Wordsworth" <> wrote in message
    > > Another good trick is to use some matt black aerosol spray paint on a
    > > small area of the fence. This makes it virtually 'disappear.

    > If you are going to go that far, (carrying around cans of spray paint and
    > vandalizing property) why not just carry cutters and cut a big opening in
    > the fence?
    >
    > Why has no one suggested going on the other side of the fence to take the
    > picture? Because it is private property that they are not going to be
    > allowed on? In that case, you shouldn't be taking pictures of their
    > property. If you had permission to take the pictures, you would be on

    the
    > other side of the fence and would not need to worry how to shoot through

    it.

    > At least that is how it seems to me. I always go around the fence if it

    is
    > in my way. Since this option does not seem to come up, one wonders what
    > people are taking pictures of here that they should not be taking?

    I spent the day at a wildlife sanctuary at the weekend, taking shots of the
    animals. They were behind chainlink fences.

    If you feel the need to go climb in with the foxes and wolves and wildcats
    or toehr dangerous things that reside behind fences, you go right ahead
    .... - just don't call us from the police station or the hospital.

    Rachael
    Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Aug 7, 2003
  16. > I spent the day at a wildlife sanctuary at the weekend, taking shots of the
    > animals. They were behind chainlink fences.

    That is a good example where I can understand the desire to shoot through a
    fence.

    > If you feel the need to go climb in with the foxes and wolves and wildcats
    > or toehr dangerous things that reside behind fences, you go right ahead
    > ... - just don't call us from the police station or the hospital.

    Actually, if it was allowed? I WOULD go in with them. These poor animals
    have a bad stereotype attached to them that is not deserved. If a person is
    attacked or injured by an animal, it is usually 99% the person's fault. If
    you know and understand animals, you won't have a problem. I have squirrels
    climb on me, get deer and raccoons to come right up to me. I have been right
    up to an adult elephant and a black bear. The elephant was tame, but the
    bear was wild. I keep trying to get close enough to foxes and wolves, but
    they run away as soon as they spot or smell you.

    I am much more afraid of humans than I am of animals.

    When people are not able to catch or retrieve their own dogs or cats, I just go
    to them and have them come up to me. There is a universal communication
    between all animals, people just don't know how to use it. If you go towards
    an animal with your eyes wide open you don't have a chance. Just common
    sense. Look at how the other animals do it, learn the language. Different
    species can communicate with others just by eye and body movements. Being
    human doesn't mean you can't do the same thing.

    Everytime I go to someone's house and they tell me their cat or dog will never
    come up to me because it never goes up to any strangers, I laugh and
    immediately have the animal come straight towards me to the amazement of the
    owner.

    Just because an animal is wild does not mean it is stupid. Most wild animals
    have intelligence levels much higher than humans, because humans are
    conditioned to not think and reason with logic, but instead react and act as
    they have been conditioned by school and society. Animals just work with
    common sense and logic.

    Would a human stop at a red light at 3 am at an intersection in the middle of
    nowhere where you can see there are no cars on either of the roads for
    miles? Yes, most would. An animal would not. Who is more intelligent?
    Jon Wordsworth, Aug 7, 2003
  17. Eigenvector

    Charlie D Guest

    http://www.teemu.net/friday/17DE1188.html
    > With a telephoto lens (or a zoom zoomed to the max) there's no trace of
    > the wiring in the photo.

    Great shot Teemu!

    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA
    Charlie D, Aug 7, 2003
  18. Eigenvector

    Frank ess Guest

    "Charlie D" <> wrote in message
    > In article <bgtjhf$t7f$>,
    > (Teemu Mottonen) wrote:
    >

    > > That's right. I used this technique at the Canadian F1 race, for

    example:
    > http://www.teemu.net/friday/17DE1188.html
    > > With a telephoto lens (or a zoom zoomed to the max) there's no trace of
    > > the wiring in the photo.

    > Great shot Teemu!

    Teemu gets around and does good.

    Where's your next project, Teemu?
    Frank ess, Aug 7, 2003
  19. Eigenvector

    Kenny Guest

    > > Another good trick is to use some matt black aerosol spray paint on

    > > small area of the fence. This makes it virtually 'disappear.

    > If you are going to go that far, (carrying around cans of spray paint

    and
    > vandalizing property) why not just carry cutters and cut a big opening

    in
    > the fence?
    >
    > Why has no one suggested going on the other side of the fence to take

    the
    > picture? Because it is private property that they are not going to

    be
    > allowed on? In that case, you shouldn't be taking pictures of their
    > property. If you had permission to take the pictures, you would be

    on the
    > other side of the fence and would not need to worry how to shoot

    through it.

    The matt black paint trick has been used by motorsport photographers for
    years as most race circuits have fences for safety reasons. You only do
    a very small patch, and remember, it is matt black, that will hardly be
    noticed. It certainly can't be classified as graffiti, especially as
    most of the fences I have seen it used on need more than a coat of paint
    anyway. It only needs to cover a bit more than the diameter of your
    lens, and unless you use a 500mm prime with a huge end glass as I do, it
    will be a very small patch.

    I am sorry, but I am a photographer and I will always find a way to get
    the picture I want (within reason of course).

    Kenny
    Kenny, Aug 8, 2003
  20. > The matt black paint trick has been used by motorsport photographers for
    > years

    I will be sure to remember that so that I don't ever have any over to my
    house.

    > as most race circuits have fences for safety reasons. You only do
    > a very small patch, and remember, it is matt black, that will hardly be
    > noticed.

    I would never do that to someone else's property. What if they don't want
    paint on their fence?
    Perhaps one day I will shoot a shot and your car will be nearby and cause a
    glare that I will have to get rid of with some harmless matt black spray
    paint. Now that I know you won't mind, I will feel free to do that.
    Jon Wordsworth, Aug 8, 2003