    haven't tried it with microfilm.

    Any help appreciated :)

    lwg
    mjgmom, Dec 1, 2005

  2. mjgmom

    Jim Guest

    "mjgmom" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can anyone give me suggestions for photographing microfilm from the
    > reader screen at the library?
    >
    > I need to make about 75 copies of newspaper pages and my library
    > requires that I use the microfilm there only, can't take it with me.
    > So I'll put the image on the screen, and take a picture of that. And

    > I'd like to avoid the copying charges which aren't very much for a few
    > copies, but 75-100 can get expensive.
    >
    > My camera is a Toshiba PDR-M70, which takes excellent pictures, I just
    > haven't tried it with microfilm.
    >
    > Any help appreciated :)
    >
    > lwg

    Put the reel in a microfilm reader. Project the frame(s) you want on the
    easel. Take a shot at the projected image. Do nor use flash.
    You will need to experiment to find the best exposure. Experimentation with
    a digital camera is very very cheap.
    Jim
    Jim, Dec 2, 2005

  3. mjgmom

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Jim" <> writes:
    > Put the reel in a microfilm reader. Project the frame(s) you want on the
    > easel. Take a shot at the projected image. Do nor use flash.

    I'd add: put the camera on a tripod and cover both the tripod and the
    microfilm machine with a big blanket, to keep out extraneous light,
    sort of like a focusing cloth for a view camera.

    You will find the screen is lit very unevenly. You will want to
    post-process the image. I've been wanting to get around to writing
    some filters for that purpose.

    The camera's built-in autofocus and autoexposure works ok.
    Paul Rubin, Dec 2, 2005
  4. mjgmom

    Jeremy Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > "mjgmom" <> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone give me suggestions for photographing microfilm from the
    >> reader screen at the library?
    >>
    >> I need to make about 75 copies of newspaper pages and my library
    >> requires that I use the microfilm there only, can't take it with me.
    >> So I'll put the image on the screen, and take a picture of that. And

    >> I'd like to avoid the copying charges which aren't very much for a few
    >> copies, but 75-100 can get expensive.
    >>
    >> My camera is a Toshiba PDR-M70, which takes excellent pictures, I just
    >> haven't tried it with microfilm.
    >>
    >> Any help appreciated :)
    >>
    >> lwg
    >>

    > Put the reel in a microfilm reader. Project the frame(s) you want on the
    > easel. Take a shot at the projected image. Do nor use flash.
    > You will need to experiment to find the best exposure. Experimentation
    > with a digital camera is very very cheap.
    > Jim

    If your camera has a "text mode" use that. Don't use flash. Take a photo
    of the screen, and you may have to adjust the exposure values using
    trial-and-error, until you get it right.

    Remember that you are trying to end up with an image that is readable--NOT
    one that has perfect exposure.

    Finally, consider using OCR software to read the text in your image files
    and to create text files, which you can then cut and paste into your various
    genealogy reports. If you don't have the ability to OCR the documents, you
    might just want to read and retype them yourself, rather than relying upon
    the image files to be readable in your genealogy reports. You could include
    the image files in an appendix, if you feel the need to substantiate the
    transcribed versions.
    Jeremy, Dec 7, 2005