  1. I know it,s only 1st.August but i would like to know what settings to use
    when filming Fireworks.I have a Nikon D70 and want to know what settings to
    put the camera on any advise most welcome thankyou.
    Stephen Manaton, Aug 1, 2005

  2. Stephen Manaton

    GTO Guest

    There's nothing special with the D70. Just follow the recommendation for
    35mm film.

    See http://www.nyip.com/tips/current/firewks.php as an example, or the many
    other web sites you can find via Google.

    Gregor

    GTO, Aug 1, 2005

  3. Stephen Manaton

    Pete D Guest

    Lowest ISO, F8.0, 10-20 seconds controlled by remote shutter release, solid
    tripod mandatory of course.

    Pete D, Aug 1, 2005
  4. Stephen Manaton

    [BnH] Guest

    10-20 seconds ? I think that depends on the type of fireworks you are
    shooting.
    I found 2-3 secs is the best for small fireworks I've shots so far. As 10s
    ... will give me a total white frame.

    To make it easy, set to Manual focus, f/11-16 if you are using a wide angle
    lens, lowest ISO, solid tripod and learn first what type of fireworks you
    are shooting.
    I shot a small fireworks a while back
    http://etienne.multiply.com/photos/album/10 and I was shooting at 2secs
    exposure time.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Aug 1, 2005
  5. Stephen Manaton

    Pete D Guest

    You are kidding of course, try shooting them at night, or shut down your
    apperture a bit more. What ISO setting did you use?

    Pete D, Aug 1, 2005
  6. I like 5 seconds. I have street lights do deal with as our fireworks go off
    above an old bridge. This years efforts are pretty good...a few more seconds
    might not have hurt.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    Gene Palmiter, Aug 1, 2005
  7. Stephen Manaton

    Owamanga Guest

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 06:50:03 +0100, "Stephen Manaton"
    <> wrote:

    >I know it,s only 1st.August but i would like to know what settings to use
    >when filming Fireworks.I have a Nikon D70 and want to know what settings to
    >put the camera on any advise most welcome thankyou.

    What's the month got to do with it....

    The US display fireworks on July 4th.

    Canada display fireworks on July 1st.

    The UK burn an effigy of a man and display fireworks on November 5th.

    The Japanese display them all through July and August.

    Most other places who don't have a special day (independence day or
    day where a man didn't do something), the primary event is New years
    eve.

    What's your target date?

    Back to the question. Having shot around 160 frames last July 4th, I
    found the most pleasing results came from f/13 or higher and shutter
    speeds between 3 and 4 seconds for a single firework bloom. Trip the
    shutter when you see the light of the rocket go out just prior to it
    exploding.

    With a digital camera, use the lowest ISO and check the shot for
    color. If the firework appears white, when in fact it was red or blue
    then you've over exposed - so close down the aperture or consider
    using a neutral density filter or polarizer.

    You must use a tripod, but remote cable release isn't really necessary
    if you are tripping the shutter when the sky is still dark (prior to
    the explosion) but of course use one if you've got it.

    Exposures of longer than 3 seconds risk looking messy, with the sensor
    capturing too many fireworks at once, everything blends to white.

    It's a game of luck. You can't always tell what's coming, how bright
    it'll be or where in the sky it'll explode.

    To see some examples of what you can expect:
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga/fireworks

    Before I print them I'd photoshop out some of the smoke, but I just
    bunged them there for you to look at.

    Here, I set up the tripod in it's smallest config, manual focus to
    near infinity (high aperture settings, so focus isn't crucial) used a
    medum-zoom lens checked the LCD every 10 shots or so to make sure
    framing was good, then sat back enjoyed the show and released the
    trigger every few seconds, timed for the dark bits.

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga
    Owamanga, Aug 1, 2005
  8. Stephen Manaton

    Owamanga Guest

    On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 11:47:03 GMT, "Pete D" <> wrote:

    >F8.0, 10-20 seconds

    <and also>

    >You are kidding of course, try shooting them at night, or shut down your
    >apperture a bit more. What ISO setting did you use?

    20 seconds is far too long for any firework shot.

    You'll just get a big white mess.

    These were taken with 3 to 4 seconds:

    Owamanga, Aug 1, 2005
  9. Hi Stephen

    Owamanga's posts have good advice.

    Also: on the D70, you can lessen noise in the
    dark areas by going into the setup menus and setting Long
    Exp. NR (long exposure noise reduction) to On.
    That setting is in the Shooting Menu (camera icon).

    Also: some folks like to get rid of smoke. Me, I like
    smoke. Follow your artistic heart.

    Also: you might enjoy sticking shots together.
    Here are two such composite shots from this past July 4th in
    Yreka, CA. D70 settings: F11, 3 sec, ISO 200,
    manual focus near infinity:

    http:FreshArtDaily.com/fireworks/2005/Yreka_July_4th/fireworks_01.jpg

    http:FreshArtDaily.com/fireworks/2005/Yreka_July_4th/fireworks_02.jpg

    -- stan
    Stanley Krute, Aug 1, 2005
  10. Stephen Manaton

    Frank ess Guest

    Owamanga wrote:
    > On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 06:50:03 +0100, "Stephen Manaton"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I know it,s only 1st.August but i would like to know what settings
    >> to use when filming Fireworks.I have a Nikon D70 and want to know
    >> what settings to put the camera on any advise most welcome
    >> thankyou.

    > What's the month got to do with it....
    >
    > The US display fireworks on July 4th.
    >
    > Canada display fireworks on July 1st.
    >
    > The UK burn an effigy of a man and display fireworks on November
    > 5th.
    >
    > The Japanese display them all through July and August.
    >
    > Most other places who don't have a special day (independence day or
    > day where a man didn't do something), the primary event is New years
    > eve.
    >
    > What's your target date?

    <snip>

    If you really want practice at fireworks-shooting, come to San Diego,
    CA (lower left corner of the the US of A). Someone here does a
    ten-minute display at about 9:50 PM, nearly every night of the year. I
    hear it. It might be Sea World, down the hill from "Ridgemont High",
    scene of notorious Fast Times.

    I'm not a great fireworks fan, although Owa's photos are just the way
    I'd like to do them, if I did them.

    --
    Frank ess
    "In this universe there are plenty of things that don't yield to
    Frank ess, Aug 2, 2005
  11. Stephen Manaton

    Pete D Guest

    "Owamanga" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 11:47:03 GMT, "Pete D" <> wrote:
    >
    >>F8.0, 10-20 seconds

    > <and also>
    >
    >>You are kidding of course, try shooting them at night, or shut down your
    >>apperture a bit more. What ISO setting did you use?

    > 20 seconds is far too long for any firework shot.
    >
    > You'll just get a big white mess.

    Utter crap. I have taken many shots in the 10-20 second range and they are
    beautifully exposed.

    Here is one of them at 10 seconds
    http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=21224#21224
    Pete D, Aug 2, 2005
  12. Stephen Manaton

    Pete D Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message

    > "Owamanga" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 11:47:03 GMT, "Pete D" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>F8.0, 10-20 seconds

    >> <and also>
    >>
    >>>You are kidding of course, try shooting them at night, or shut down your
    >>>apperture a bit more. What ISO setting did you use?

    >> 20 seconds is far too long for any firework shot.
    >>
    >> You'll just get a big white mess.

    > Utter crap. I have taken many shots in the 10-20 second range and they are
    > beautifully exposed.
    >
    > Here is one of them at 10 seconds
    > http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=21224#21224

    Just checked and it was actually 9 seconds and F11 according to the EXIF
    info, if you want I will send you a copy of the original, hardly a big white
    mess.
    Pete D, Aug 2, 2005
  13. Stephen Manaton

    Owamanga Guest

    On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 05:46:14 GMT, "Pete D" <> wrote:

    >"Owamanga" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 11:47:03 GMT, "Pete D" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>F8.0, 10-20 seconds

    >> <and also>
    >>
    >>>You are kidding of course, try shooting them at night, or shut down your
    >>>apperture a bit more. What ISO setting did you use?

    >> 20 seconds is far too long for any firework shot.
    >>
    >> You'll just get a big white mess.

    >Utter crap. I have taken many shots in the 10-20 second range and they are
    >beautifully exposed.
    >
    >Here is one of them at 10 seconds
    >http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=21224#21224

    And where is the 20 second example?

    Your example is hard at the bottom of your 10-20 second range.
    What is also strange, is that on the forum you claim it's similar to
    the only other quoted duration of 4 to 8 seconds. And your shot is
    already starting to look messy. So what was it, 4 seconds or 10
    seconds? There is a big difference, and bigger still to 20 seconds.

    You seem to have missed the point about exposing for fireworks. Much
    like flash photography, shutter speed is fairly irrelevant in
    controlling the exposure. The biggest impact is aperture. Shutter
    speed in this case just affects how many explosions you'll record on
    each shot. Get too many in one place, and you'll end up over-exposed
    and of course a messy subject.

    I've added a gallery of my experiments towards the 4 and 5 second
    duration that demonstrate why these or longer shutter speeds don't
    always work.

    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga/mistakes

    compare these to the color-rich shorter exposures that did work, from
    the same distance, similar apertures and at the same display:

    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga/fireworks

    10 seconds could be okay if it's a slow display, or if you are in
    control of the show. But in the US commercial July 4th displays tend
    to be hectic, and certainly at the 20 second side of things you'll
    almost guarantee capturing too many different explosions so it becomes
    a mess. Each second you add to the exposure brings the final image
    further away from the reality that those spectating the event actually
    saw.

    Even if you want to end up with a busy image, when shooting digital it
    is always an option to make a composite of different 'clean' shots
    that captured the amazing colors and don't show too much white. You
    can't really undo an overly messy shot that was caused by extremely
    long shutter times.

    So if someone is starting out, and they are going to be at the
    display, my recommendation remains: use 3 to 4 seconds as a starting
    point.

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga
    Owamanga, Aug 2, 2005
  14. Stephen Manaton

    Owamanga Guest

    On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 06:51:50 GMT, "Pete D" <> wrote:

    >Just checked and it was actually 9 seconds and F11 according to the EXIF
    >info, if you want I will send you a copy of the original, hardly a big white
    >mess.

    No, I believe you. It's outside your 10-20 second range suggestion
    though.

    You were lucky with that shot - a relatively slow display that within
    9 seconds had only a few explosions. It could have been that the first
    4 seconds captured the launch part, so the bloom itself is still only
    a 3 second exposure.

    I'm not saying it can't be done - you did it, but it's risky. I doubt
    a 20 second exposure would ever work, unless the shutter was tripped
    16 seconds before the first firework of the display exploded

    <g>

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga
    Owamanga, Aug 2, 2005
  15. Stephen Manaton

    Owamanga Guest

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 17:29:18 -0700, "Frank ess" <>
    wrote:

    >If you really want practice at fireworks-shooting, come to San Diego,
    >CA (lower left corner of the the US of A). Someone here does a
    >ten-minute display at about 9:50 PM, nearly every night of the year. I
    >hear it. It might be Sea World, down the hill from "Ridgemont High",
    >scene of notorious Fast Times.

    There is also the Disney displays. Not sure about the California
    park's schedule, but Orlando has fireworks every night at Epcot, and
    during the weekends at Magic Kingdom.

    The Epcot display is fairly amazing - with lasers and a huge spherical
    TV screen over a lake, but my last visit there I was caught in a queue
    for fish & chips (in the 'England' section, also armed with a plastic
    yard of ale) So alas, no photos. Two yards of ale more than made up
    for it though. I've been an annual pass holder for both Disney &
    Universal for a few years now, so I'm there fairly often.

    A lot of the July 4th displays here in Florida are done on barges in
    the ocean, which make great subjects for shooting, but involve the
    dreaded sand stuff.

    >I'm not a great fireworks fan, although Owa's photos are just the way
    >I'd like to do them, if I did them.

    Yeh, I'm undecided too, I haven't printed any. But I think I'm gonna
    keep shooting them for the next couple of years and make a huge
    panoramic composite of some sort out of the best ones.

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga
    Owamanga, Aug 2, 2005
  16. Stephen Manaton

    Owamanga Guest

    On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:22:43 GMT, "Stanley Krute" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi Stephen
    >
    >Owamanga's posts have good advice.
    >
    >Also: on the D70, you can lessen noise in the
    >dark areas by going into the setup menus and setting Long
    >Exp. NR (long exposure noise reduction) to On.
    >That setting is in the Shooting Menu (camera icon).

    This, I tried during some lunar eclipse shots a few months back. It's
    bloody annoying having the camera be unresponsive for so long after
    each shot. In a display, you'll cut your shot count to 20% of what it
    could have been, so I wouldn't think it's worth the loss in shooting
    ability for any gain you get with noise.

    I much prefer to sort noise out in Photoshop, only if and when it
    becomes a problem. I shoot at the lowest ISO, 200 for the D70, so even
    though the exposure times are quite long, my framing only included the
    firework itself, so I can push any dark noisy sky to full black when I
    import the RAW file and effectively kill the problem.

    More care must be taken if you are framing the display with ground
    objects - this also would effect your choice of exposure technique.

    So, the question you have to ask is: Are you doing landscapes with
    fireworks, or are you doing fireworks?

    >Also: some folks like to get rid of smoke. Me, I like
    >smoke. Follow your artistic heart.

    Having not tried this yet, I don't know how difficult it would be. But
    I guess you are right - the smoke keeps it real.

    >Also: you might enjoy sticking shots together.

    Sure.

    >Here are two such composite shots from this past July 4th in
    >Yreka, CA. D70 settings: F11, 3 sec, ISO 200,
    >manual focus near infinity:
    >
    >http:FreshArtDaily.com/fireworks/2005/Yreka_July_4th/fireworks_01.jpg

    I like that mix, because it's missing the launch streaks. Very clean.

    >http:FreshArtDaily.com/fireworks/2005/Yreka_July_4th/fireworks_02.jpg

    You've got a little wobble there Stan, especially visible in the
    second shot. Usually the streaks are straight, curving with gravity.
    But at the very end of the exposure, where the streaks end, they all
    wobble the same way. Did you use a Tripod + Remote shutter or just a
    tripod?

    ....or did you just rest the camera on a friend's head?

    <g>

    It does serve to give the blooms a 'fluffy' look.

    So, here it must be a matter of taste, you composited the second shot
    which in my opinion makes it too busy.. but you obviously wanted to do
    that.

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga
    Owamanga, Aug 2, 2005
  17. Owamanga wrote:

    > On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 05:46:14 GMT, "Pete D" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Owamanga" <> wrote in message

    >>><and also>

    >>>20 seconds is far too long for any firework shot.
    >>>
    >>>You'll just get a big white mess.

    >>Utter crap. I have taken many shots in the 10-20 second range and they are
    >>beautifully exposed.
    >>
    >>Here is one of them at 10 seconds
    >>http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=21224#21224

    > And where is the 20 second example?
    >
    > Your example is hard at the bottom of your 10-20 second range.
    > What is also strange, is that on the forum you claim it's similar to
    > the only other quoted duration of 4 to 8 seconds. And your shot is
    > already starting to look messy. So what was it, 4 seconds or 10
    > seconds? There is a big difference, and bigger still to 20 seconds.
    >
    > You seem to have missed the point about exposing for fireworks. Much
    > like flash photography, shutter speed is fairly irrelevant in
    > controlling the exposure. The biggest impact is aperture. Shutter
    > speed in this case just affects how many explosions you'll record on
    > each shot. Get too many in one place, and you'll end up over-exposed
    > and of course a messy subject.
    >
    > I've added a gallery of my experiments towards the 4 and 5 second
    > duration that demonstrate why these or longer shutter speeds don't
    > always work.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/owamanga/mistakes
    >
    > compare these to the color-rich shorter exposures that did work, from
    > the same distance, similar apertures and at the same display:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/owamanga/fireworks
    >
    > 10 seconds could be okay if it's a slow display, or if you are in
    > control of the show. But in the US commercial July 4th displays tend
    > to be hectic, and certainly at the 20 second side of things you'll
    > almost guarantee capturing too many different explosions so it becomes
    > a mess. Each second you add to the exposure brings the final image
    > further away from the reality that those spectating the event actually
    > saw.
    >
    > Even if you want to end up with a busy image, when shooting digital it
    > is always an option to make a composite of different 'clean' shots
    > that captured the amazing colors and don't show too much white. You
    > can't really undo an overly messy shot that was caused by extremely
    > long shutter times.
    >
    > So if someone is starting out, and they are going to be at the
    > display, my recommendation remains: use 3 to 4 seconds as a starting
    > point.

    I do large format (4x5) fireworks shots. I open the shutter
    and leave it open for 30 seconds to 1 minute. I use Fujichrome
    velvia 50 at f/11. When a burst happens I cover the camera.
    I've also experimented with after a 1-minute exposure, hold
    a piece of black cardboard in front of the camera until another
    burst happens, then uncover the lens and expose for a few
    more seconds, then repeat.

    In my opinion, the successful fireworks image is not how long
    you have the shutter open, but how long during a burst.
    I set the camera on bulb and open the shutter when nothing is
    happening. That gets the background exposed. When a burst
    happens, I close the shutter before the burst starts to fade.

    With this method, I get about 50% good images, based on a batch
    of 4x5s I just went through. There in in my "in box" for
    scanning along with over 100 other images. Not sure when
    I'll get to them.

    Roger
    http://www.clarkvision.com
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Aug 2, 2005
  18. Stephen Manaton

    Owamanga Guest

    On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 07:34:07 -0600, "Roger N. Clark (change username
    to rnclark)" <> wrote:

    >I do large format (4x5) fireworks shots. I open the shutter
    >and leave it open for 30 seconds to 1 minute. I use Fujichrome
    >velvia 50 at f/11. When a burst happens I cover the camera.
    >I've also experimented with after a 1-minute exposure, hold
    >a piece of black cardboard in front of the camera until another
    >burst happens, then uncover the lens and expose for a few
    >more seconds, then repeat.

    Sounds like a good plan, but I presume you are not quite so zoomed
    into the action as my example shots.

    >In my opinion, the successful fireworks image is not how long
    >you have the shutter open, but how long during a burst.

    Of course. This way you can use your hand or other object to affect a
    much tighter control over the effective shutter speed. There may be a
    risk with a digital sensor when doing exposures of around a minute of
    noise or other heat related artifacts.

    >I set the camera on bulb and open the shutter when nothing is
    >happening. That gets the background exposed. When a burst
    >happens, I close the shutter before the burst starts to fade.

    An interesting approach. I guess this gives you bright symmetrical,
    clean looking explosions (ie, ones where the effects of gravity isn't
    obvious).

    >With this method, I get about 50% good images, based on a batch
    >of 4x5s I just went through. There in in my "in box" for
    >scanning along with over 100 other images. Not sure when
    >I'll get to them.

    Well, if you do put them on an online gallery at some point in the
    future I'd like a chance to see them.

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga
    Owamanga, Aug 2, 2005
  19. Stephen Manaton

    Guest

    And Pete was shooting on film. I say your protocols
    would yield better results on a Nikon D70.

    Scott
    , Aug 2, 2005
  20. "Stephen Manaton" <> writes:

    > I know it,s only 1st.August but i would like to know what settings to use
    > when filming Fireworks.I have a Nikon D70 and want to know what settings to
    > put the camera on any advise most welcome thankyou.

    Meaning you're just short of a month *late* -- to an American. You're
    probably thinking of 5-Nov, though?

    You don't need high ISO. I use ISO 100 often. Then you pick an
    aperture that gives the trail size you want from the burning
    fragments. Start around 5.6 or 8 and see what happens.

    Use a tripod, pick a lens to cover the area of the sky where things
    are likely to burst, focus on infinity (manually), and hold the
    shutter open through one or more bursts. Since it's digital, then you
    look at what you got and decide what to change.
    Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/> Much of which is still down
    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 2, 2005