    set up near a window where there is adequate sunlight. Could someone
    please tell me which functions I should adjust or select so the white
    pages come out, well, a lot whiter? Thanks.

    Rebecca, Aug 12, 2004

  2. Rebecca

    John Bean Guest

    On 12 Aug 2004 02:11:11 -0700, Rebecca wrote:

    > Greetings. I am relatively new to digital photography. I am using a
    > digital camera (Canon PowerShot A80, 4.0 megapixels) as a scanner (for
    > OCR-ing), and it is working like a charm (much faster than a flatbed
    > scanner). However, whenever I take a picture of a page from a book
    > (with MACRO selected), the white page comes out somewhat gray
    > (definately not what I expected: that is, black print on a white
    > background). I am taking pictures in outdoors, that is, my camera is
    > set up near a window where there is adequate sunlight. Could someone
    > please tell me which functions I should adjust or select so the white
    > pages come out, well, a lot whiter? Thanks.

    Hi Rebecca. The same thing happens if you photograph anything that's mainly
    light coloured and bright, like snow for instance. The camera's meter
    assumes an average scene, and under exposes. If your camera has an exposure
    compensation function, sometimes also called "EV adjustment", set it to +1
    or maybe a little more and see what the results look like. A bit of trial
    and error is needed here.

    --
    John Bean

    Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently
    programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest (Isaac Asimov)

    John Bean, Aug 12, 2004

  3. John Bean wrote:
    > On 12 Aug 2004 02:11:11 -0700, Rebecca wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings. I am relatively new to digital photography. I am using a
    >> digital camera (Canon PowerShot A80, 4.0 megapixels) as a scanner (for
    >> OCR-ing), and it is working like a charm (much faster than a flatbed
    >> scanner). However, whenever I take a picture of a page from a book
    >> (with MACRO selected), the white page comes out somewhat gray
    >> (definately not what I expected: that is, black print on a white
    >> background). I am taking pictures in outdoors, that is, my camera is
    >> set up near a window where there is adequate sunlight. Could someone
    >> please tell me which functions I should adjust or select so the white
    >> pages come out, well, a lot whiter? Thanks.

    > Hi Rebecca. The same thing happens if you photograph anything that's

    mainly
    > light coloured and bright, like snow for instance. The camera's meter
    > assumes an average scene, and under exposes. If your camera has an

    exposure
    > compensation function, sometimes also called "EV adjustment", set it to +1
    > or maybe a little more and see what the results look like. A bit of trial
    > and error is needed here.

    Correct, and it also can be corrected in post exposure processing.
    Increase the contrast and brightness.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Aug 12, 2004
  4. (Rebecca) writes:

    > Greetings. I am relatively new to digital photography. I am using a
    > digital camera (Canon PowerShot A80, 4.0 megapixels) as a scanner (for
    > OCR-ing), and it is working like a charm (much faster than a flatbed
    > scanner). However, whenever I take a picture of a page from a book
    > (with MACRO selected), the white page comes out somewhat gray
    > (definately not what I expected: that is, black print on a white
    > background). I am taking pictures in outdoors, that is, my camera is
    > set up near a window where there is adequate sunlight. Could someone
    > please tell me which functions I should adjust or select so the white
    > pages come out, well, a lot whiter? Thanks.

    Manual exposure. Or I suppose you could do it with exposure
    compensation, probably about +1.5 or +2.

    Exposure metering makes the scene come out, on the average, 18% grey.
    If the scene doesn't, in fact, average 18% grey, it'll look wrong, and
    auto-exposure won't do what's needed.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 12, 2004
  5. Rebecca

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Experiment with the white balance settings, since there is no film involved,
    check which setting gives you the best white.
    The camera is trying to average the "scene" so that is why it makes the white
    look gray.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Aug 15, 2004
  6. HRosita wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Experiment with the white balance settings, since there is no film

    involved,
    > check which setting gives you the best white.
    > The camera is trying to average the "scene" so that is why it makes the
    > white look gray.
    > Rosita

    Acturally if it is true gray, the white balance is just right. If it
    were yellow gray or blue gray, then white balance would be part of the
    problem.

    The real problem is overall exposure. If the white shows gray, then it
    is under exposed, or you have a display problem.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Aug 16, 2004