    www.rollingbluethunder.com/rbt2/
    Rolling Blue Thunder Productions, Inc.
    Still Doing What It Do!
    Pictures, Mar 6, 2006

  2. Pictures wrote:

    > I am looking for some tips on photographing Areana League Football. I will
    > be attending a game this weekend. I have field level seats. I will be
    > using my K-M 5D. I have a 70-300 and an 18-70 lens.
    >
    > Anyone here who has shot photos at an Arena League Football game?

    Read and reread the thread on hockey shooting.

    You have a press pass??

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Mar 6, 2006

  3. Pictures

    Pictures Guest

    Nope. I just have tickets for the field level at the 50 yardline.

    --

    CoolAzzRob***

    Pictures, Mar 6, 2006
  4. Pictures

    Pictures Guest

    Read the hockey thread and did google searches for both photographing hockey
    and football. I just figured someone in here may have direct experience
    with ALF. I know there are going to be diffrences between the two. The
    biggest to me is going to be the lighting. I know with hockey, been to a
    lot of them this season (not photographing), it is very bright due to the
    light reflecting from the ice and the white ice itself. With the football I
    expect it to be darker. Of course there will not be the light reflecting
    from the astroturf. From watching the games on TV it does not appear to be
    as brightly lit as hockey games.

    CoolAzzRob***

    Pictures, Mar 6, 2006
  5. Pictures wrote:
    > Read the hockey thread and did google searches for both photographing hockey
    > and football. I just figured someone in here may have direct experience
    > with ALF. I know there are going to be diffrences between the two. The
    > biggest to me is going to be the lighting. I know with hockey, been to a
    > lot of them this season (not photographing), it is very bright due to the
    > light reflecting from the ice and the white ice itself. With the football I
    > expect it to be darker. Of course there will not be the light reflecting
    > from the astroturf. From watching the games on TV it does not appear to be
    > as brightly lit as hockey games.

    Most arenas don't use different lighting for hockey vs. anything else.

    IAE, the most important thing is to check with the arena so that you're
    not left having to walk the bag back to your car or check it with them
    if your equipment is not allowed in. Large chance that it won't be let in.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Mar 6, 2006
  6. OK I have gotten the ok to shoot photos at the game. With that out of the
    way, is there anyone who has done shot photos of Arena League Football who
    is willing to lend his or her expertise or experiences?

    Minister of Information, Mar 10, 2006
  7. Pictures

    Pictures Guest

    Went to the game and had no problem getting my camera into the arena. No
    one said a word to me about shooting photographs. (I called the head of
    security [he works wth me] the day before just to double check that it would
    be ok for me to bring my camera.) It was an interesting time. I was 2 rows
    from the field right behind the home team's bench about 5 feet above the
    field. I did not get the chance to go down to field level because I was
    with my wife. I will go down to field level the next game I make it to.

    Things I learned...

    *The lower level seats (where I was) are not on concrete but stong aluminum.
    What does that mean to this experience? It vibrates when people walk on it.
    *I never knew this arena had strobes. They flashed during some of the
    pre-game activities but not during the game.
    *It was very well lit so there was no need to use the flash.
    *I watched the team photographer. I didn't really learn anything from
    watching him work but then again I didn't spend a lot of time with my eye on
    him. I did notice he used the flash while he was standing behind the boards
    at the endzone when the ball was right there on the goal line. That sort of
    surprised me. Not sure if he was using it for fill flash or what.
    *If I pay for seats the next time I attend, they will be on the opposite
    side of the field so that I can get more team reaction shots.
    *It's a lot harder getting good shots of cheerleaders than I thought it
    would be but I had a good time trying.

    I will have the photos (what I feel are the better ones) posted on my
    website in a day or two so I can get some critiques from all of you fine
    people.

    CoolAzzRob***

    Pictures, Mar 11, 2006
  8. Pictures

    Pictures Guest

    Finally got the photos up. Check them out and let me know what you think.
    So far this is only the cheerleader photos but the rest are on the way. I
    didn't think you would mind me starting with the cheerleaders.

    CoolAzzRob***

    www.rollingbluethunder.com/nu/

    Pictures, Apr 1, 2006
  9. Pictures

    fishfry Guest

    In article <>,
    "Pictures" <> wrote:

    > Finally got the photos up. Check them out and let me know what you think.
    > So far this is only the cheerleader photos

    that's all we need.
    fishfry, Apr 1, 2006
  10. Pictures

    Pictures Guest

    And here are some ref photos. As you can tell by the number of photos, they
    played a signifigant role in the game. Please give me some critique of the
    photos (both these and the cheerleader photos).

    http://www.rollingbluethunder.com/spotted/AugustaSpartans/Referees/

    CoolAzzRob***

    Pictures, Apr 3, 2006
  11. Pictures

    Guest

    Pictures wrote:
    > Finally got the photos up. Check them out and let me know what you think.
    > So far this is only the cheerleader photos but the rest are on the way. I
    > didn't think you would mind me starting with the cheerleaders.
    >
    > CoolAzzRob***
    >
    > www.rollingbluethunder.com/nu/

    SNIP

    I'm not going to look at ANYTHING that I have to sign up for. Put your
    pics on Photobucket or Zoto if you can't get a normal account at Pbase
    or Flickr.
    , Apr 3, 2006
  12. Pictures

    Pictures Guest

    You don't have to look at them if you don't want to. The thing to say or
    most people would have said is where is the link. I mistakenly forgot to
    put the link to the photos in the message. But the simplest thing for you
    to do is just ignore my messages in the future. That way you can either
    keep your smart aleck comments to yourself or aim them elsewhere.

    For anyone who wishes to see the photos, here is the link and I apologize
    for not putting the link in the message the first time.

    http://www.rollingbluethunder.com/spotted/AugustaSpartans/Cheerleaders/

    CoolAzzRob***

    Pictures, Apr 3, 2006
  13. Pictures

    Pictures Guest

    I apologize for not adding the link to the original message and thanks to
    all who didn't post snide comments. Here is the link

    Pictures, Apr 3, 2006
  14. Pictures wrote:
    > And here are some ref photos. As you can tell by the number of photos, they
    > played a signifigant role in the game. Please give me some critique of the
    > photos (both these and the cheerleader photos).
    >
    > http://www.rollingbluethunder.com/spotted/AugustaSpartans/Referees/

    Are there truly five Refs on that little surface?? What a Union!

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Apr 4, 2006
  15. Pictures

    dj_nme Guest

    wrote:

    >I'm not going to look at ANYTHING that I have to sign up for. Put your
    >pics on Photobucket or Zoto if you can't get a normal account at Pbase
    >or Flickr.

    Pictures wrote (but deleted reply to destroy
    context):
    > You don't have to look at them if you don't want to. The thing to say or
    > most people would have said is where is the link. I mistakenly forgot to
    > put the link to the photos in the message. But the simplest thing for you
    > to do is just ignore my messages in the future. That way you can either
    > keep your smart aleck comments to yourself or aim them elsewhere.
    >
    > For anyone who wishes to see the photos, here is the link and I apologize
    > for not putting the link in the message the first time.
    >
    > http://www.rollingbluethunder.com/spotted/AugustaSpartans/Cheerleaders/

    has a point (although rather gruffly stated), it
    is a little bit rude to expect people to register to your website to
    just to do something you asked us (any-one reading this newsgroup) to do.
    I'm glad that you put up a link that does not require registration to
    look at your pictures.
    I notice that the backgrounds tend to look a bit dark, are you using a
    flash (where the backgrounds are out of range) or were the cheerleaders
    spot-lit on the field by the arena?
    dj_nme, Apr 4, 2006
  16. Pictures

    Pictures Guest

    Thanks for your comments. In some of the photos, they were spot lit and
    others they weren't. This was my first try at this and the photos were shot
    from the stands. My next try at this will be from field level where I can
    get very close to the action. I didn't use any flash. I was experimenting
    with using a higher ISO to compensate for not using the flash.

    I apologize to the group once again as I didn't expect anyone to register to
    see the photos. I just failed to put the link to the photo gallery.

    --

    CoolAzzRob***

    Pictures, Apr 4, 2006
  17. Yes, there really are. They are all over the place.

    --
    KiMoMi Models & Photographers
    http://www.kimomi.net

    Minister of Information, Jul 12, 2006