Photographer meets cop

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Cooper, Jun 19, 2013.

  1. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    We read a lot about the police harassing photographers for no good
    reason. This morning I stopped at the Seminole County Justice Center
    where the George Zimmerman trial is going on. Last year, when
    Zimmerman was first arrested, I did a series of documentary shots on
    the media coverage and the protests. I'm doing the same this year.

    Just after I pulled into a parking place and took out my camera, a
    Deputy Sheriff approached me and asked what I was doing there and
    asked if I was a member of the media with credentials. I replied that
    I was an amateur photographer and was doing some documentary photos
    for my own use.

    I was braced for a confrontation, but the Deputy then explained that
    where I had parked was a lot designated for the use of the general
    public and people who had business in the courthouse. He went on that
    there is a special lot for media representatives and that they didn't
    want the media people taking up spaces in the general public's area.
    Seeing my camera, he thought I might be a media representative, but as
    an amateur it was quite alright for me to park where I was. He was
    very nice about it.

    Later, when I was wandering around looking for something to
    photograph, another Deputy approached me and asked if I was getting
    any good shots. I'd chatted with him briefly last week about what I
    was doing. There was nothing going on this morning, but he gave me
    some hints about the best time of day to come back.

    Seminole County law enforcement is doing an exemplary job here, but so
    far they haven't had much to contend with. Here's some of the "boys
    in blue" (Actually, green, for this force):

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/iga13iwxwtbhy7l/2013-06-11-5.jpg

    Protesters are not harassed or controlled, but any with signs must be
    in the fenced area. Others can go where they please. In the above
    photo there's one lady (in pink at the left) in the sign area, and
    several giving interviews at the right. The guy in the blue tee shirt
    is filming.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qd3r24awlfq430l/2013-06-11-51.jpg

    The above shot is the one lady in the sign area. You can see all the
    media vehicles in the distance. The "sign area" is directly in front
    of the courthouse entrance.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jun 19, 2013

  2. Tony Cooper

    RichA Guest

    On Jun 19, 3:58 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> [...]

    > fully fledged "refugee from the 60's".
    >
    > > Protesters are not harassed or controlled, but any with signs must be
    > > in the fenced area.  Others can go where they please.  In the above
    > > photo there's one lady (in pink at the left) in the sign area, and
    > > several giving interviews at the right.  The guy in the blue tee shirt
    > > is filming.

    > Good organization can result in good PR.
    >
    > >https://www.dropbox.com/s/qd3r24awlfq430l/2013-06-11-51.jpg

    > > The above shot is the one lady in the sign area.  You can see all the
    > > media vehicles in the distance.  The "sign area" is directly in front
    > > of the courthouse entrance.

    > The interesting thing about that shot, is the two section sign in front
    > of the lady. Section #1 is fine, but in section #2 on the right the "D"
    > stencil has been reversed so the straight edge of the "D" is on the

    I remember reading a story about a guy walking around in a park with a
    blank sign. He got beaten up because his sign offended some people.

    RichA, Jun 20, 2013

  3. Tony Cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:17:39 AM UTC+1, RichA wrote:
> [...]

    > > > is filming.

    > > Good organization can result in good PR.

    > > >https://www.dropbox.com/s/qd3r24awlfq430l/2013-06-11-51.jpg

    > > > The above shot is the one lady in the sign area.  You can see all the

    > > > media vehicles in the distance.  The "sign area" is directly in front

    > > > of the courthouse entrance.

    > > The interesting thing about that shot, is the two section sign in front

    > > of the lady. Section #1 is fine, but in section #2 on the right the "D"

    > > stencil has been reversed so the straight edge of the "D" is on the

    > > right. Rush job I guess.

    > > --

    > > Regards,

    > > Savageduck

    > I remember reading a story about a guy walking around in a park with a
    >
    > blank sign. He got beaten up because his sign offended some people.

    It's easy to offend blank people :)

    Whisky-dave, Jun 20, 2013
  4. Tony Cooper

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <>,
    RichA <> wrote:

    >I remember reading a story about a guy walking around in a park with a
    >blank sign. He got beaten up because his sign offended some people.

    Larry Niven, "Cloak of Anarchy". It wasn't a major part of the story.

    --
    Please reply to: |"We establish no religion in this country, we command
    pciszek at panix dot com | no worship, we mandate no belief, nor will we ever.

    Paul Ciszek, Jun 21, 2013