Photograph the moon: participate in a camera test, May 2006

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), May 2, 2006.

  1. There has been some discussion of image quality
    of large versus small camera sensors, like found in
    P&S versus DSLRs.

    For example, can a Panasonic FZ series that goes out
    to 432 mm equivalent produce an image comparable to
    a full frame DSLR with s 430 mm telephoto lens?
    Probably not, but it might be close enough to
    keep someone from spending 10x the price for the
    DSLR. For someone else, they may want that edge, but
    just how big is that edge?

    So I propose to continue the test we did last month:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/moon-test1

    The idea is to photograph the moon with about 400 mm EQUIVALENT
    focal length. DSLRs and 600 mm lenses on a D20
    is NOT in the spirit of the test. Equivalent focal length
    means divide 400 mm by the sensor crop factor, e.g.
    on a 1.6x crop factor sensor, like the canon rebel,
    the focal length to use is: 400/1.6 = 250mm. I'm using
    a 1.3x crop factor camera, so 400 /1.3 = 308mm so I am using
    a 300 mm lens.

    Photograph the moon around first quarter and compare to
    results on the above page. Your moon image size should be about
    the same size as those on the page )e.g. Figures 1-4).
    Either post your images (unprocessed except
    for crop, and, if you wish, your best processing, but
    unprocessed is a requirement), or email me high
    quality jpegs for display (with a statement of permission
    to post). Crop the image on the full circle of the moon.
    I'll add link to your images if you want to keep them
    on your web site, I'll post them on the above site if you
    will give permission.

    First quarter moon is Friday, May 5, so images Wednesday through
    Sunday will work fine.

    Do your best shot, with tripod if you wish.

    I have reprocessed the moon image from last month. The pasty look
    I believe was due to use of photoshop's unsharp mask. My images
    on the above site have not had any unsharp masking applied.

    Some people emailed me images/links from last month's
    test which I have yet to add to the page. I also have some other
    images I took and I need to add to the page.
    I'll try and get caught up soon.

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), May 2, 2006

  2. Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) wrote:
    []
    > First quarter moon is Friday, May 5, so images Wednesday through
    > Sunday will work fine.

    Roger,

    Missed Wednesday, and it was clouday last night.

    David
    David J Taylor, May 5, 2006

    > There has been some discussion of image quality
    > of large versus small camera sensors, like found in
    > P&S versus DSLRs.
    >
    > For example, can a Panasonic FZ series that goes out
    > to 432 mm equivalent produce an image comparable to
    > a full frame DSLR with s 430 mm telephoto lens?
    >
    > So I propose to continue the test we did last month:
    > http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/moon-test1
    >
    > The idea is to photograph the moon with about 400 mm EQUIVALENT
    > focal length.
    >

    > First quarter moon is Friday, May 5, so images Wednesday through
    > Sunday will work fine.

    To those of you in the USA, I'm on the opposite side of the
    hemisphere and am half a day ahead. Here's a shot taken at
    around 8 pm local time (I think that's 6:30 AM PST) through
    light haze.

    http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/keimah/?action=view&current=Moon-05May06.jpg

    Panasonic FZ20
    432mm equivalent
    ISO 100
    f4.6, 1/125 sec (manual)
    Auto WB
    Auto focus (spot)
    Sharpness, contrast, brightness, saturation at "Standard" (medium)
    High-quality JPEG

    Cropped with Irfanview and saved as 100% JPG. No post processing.

    I was wondering if it might be a good idea to start a new
    thread as some newsservers have a short retention period.
    , May 5, 2006
  4. wrote:

    >> There has been some discussion of image quality
    >> of large versus small camera sensors, like found in
    >> P&S versus DSLRs.
    >>
    >> For example, can a Panasonic FZ series that goes out
    >> to 432 mm equivalent produce an image comparable to
    >> a full frame DSLR with s 430 mm telephoto lens?
    >>
    >> So I propose to continue the test we did last month:
    >> http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/moon-test1
    >>
    >> The idea is to photograph the moon with about 400 mm EQUIVALENT
    >> focal length.
    >>

    >> First quarter moon is Friday, May 5, so images Wednesday through
    >> Sunday will work fine.

    > To those of you in the USA, I'm on the opposite side of the
    > hemisphere and am half a day ahead. Here's a shot taken at
    > around 8 pm local time (I think that's 6:30 AM PST) through
    > light haze.
    >
    > http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/keimah/?action=view&current=Moon-05May06.jpg
    >
    > Panasonic FZ20
    > 432mm equivalent
    > ISO 100
    > f4.6, 1/125 sec (manual)
    > Auto WB
    > Auto focus (spot)
    > Sharpness, contrast, brightness, saturation at "Standard" (medium)
    > High-quality JPEG
    >
    > Cropped with Irfanview and saved as 100% JPG. No post processing.
    >
    > I was wondering if it might be a good idea to start a new
    > thread as some newsservers have a short retention period.

    I've added a pointer to that image to my Web page:

    http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/imaging/moon.htm

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, May 6, 2006

    Pete D Guest

    Roger,

    I am thinking that the unprocessed comparison will be somewhat invalid. The
    P&S cameras will always have far more aggressive sharpening in camera. This
    will let me do more in post with a D-SLR than I ever could with a P&S
    camera.

    Cheers.

    Pete D

    "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Pete D, May 6, 2006

    Pete D Guest

    Here is one I did some time back with mild sharpening and minmal other
    processing.

    http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images/upload/Moon-7-Dec-2005---1.jpg

    Pete D, May 6, 2006
  7. "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <>
    wrote in message news:...
    SNIP
    > First quarter moon is Friday, May 5, so images Wednesday through
    > Sunday will work fine.

    Conditions were very poor where I'm located. Tonight things were a bit
    better (no clouds) but still poor seeing, both due to day/night
    temperature difference and relatively low altitude and some haze (and
    trees, and light pollution from the city of Utrecht in the center of
    the Netherlands).

    Maybe today's apparent 'spruce pollen explosion' has something to do
    with it?
    <http://www.xs4all.nl/~bvdwolf/temp/WhatDoYouMean-Pollen_2905.jpg>
    (this shot was a reject due to motion blur and poor focus, but after
    some "unshake" processing and downsampling it was 'usable' at a small
    size).

    I'll do another 400mm First Quarter attempt on Sunday the 7th, or next
    month.

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, May 7, 2006

    Bart van der Wolf wrote:

    > "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <>
    > wrote in message news:...
    > SNIP
    > > First quarter moon is Friday, May 5, so images Wednesday through
    > > Sunday will work fine.

    > Conditions were very poor where I'm located. Tonight things were a bit
    > better (no clouds) but still poor seeing, both due to day/night
    > temperature difference and relatively low altitude and some haze (and
    > trees, and light pollution from the city of Utrecht in the center of
    > the Netherlands).
    >
    > Maybe today's apparent 'spruce pollen explosion' has something to do
    > with it?
    > <http://www.xs4all.nl/~bvdwolf/temp/WhatDoYouMean-Pollen_2905.jpg>
    > (this shot was a reject due to motion blur and poor focus, but after
    > some "unshake" processing and downsampling it was 'usable' at a small
    > size).
    >
    > I'll do another 400mm First Quarter attempt on Sunday the 7th, or next
    > month.
    >
    > Bart

    I can't wait for October. Over here, the sky gets so clear after
    the rainy season that someone with good eyes can literally
    read a newspaper by the light of a full moon.
    , May 7, 2006