    FM Guest

    I need to buy a trimmer, can you recommend one for 8.5x11 photo paper?

    Thank you,

    FM, Jan 4, 2004

  2. FM

    eg Guest

    > I need to buy a trimmer, can you recommend one for 8.5x11 photo paper?
    >
    > Thank you,

    Fiskar makes some dandy trimmers, different sizes too.

    eg, Jan 5, 2004

  3. FM

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    FM wrote:

    > I need to buy a trimmer, can you recommend one
    > for 8.5x11 photo paper?
    >
    > Thank you,

    XActo make an entire line of paper trimmers.
    Quality blade and very sturdy.

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 5, 2004
  4. I just bought a Carl 18" Professional RT218. They also make a 15"and a
    2" - did a google search- and found one at an excellent price. I think the
    12 " is under $30 and the quality is very good.

    Moses Fridlich, Jan 5, 2004
  5. FM

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "FM" <> writes:
    > I need to buy a trimmer, can you recommend one for 8.5x11 photo paper?

    Usually when this subject comes up, the conclusion ends up being buy a
    Rotatrim. There are some less expensive trimmers, but they are nowhere
    near as solid or precise.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 5, 2004
  6. FM

    Buster Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 10:31:55 -0500, "FM" <> wrote:

    >I need to buy a trimmer, can you recommend one for 8.5x11 photo paper?
    >
    >Thank you,

    The RotaTrim dual-rail cutters have established themselves as the best
    in the business, where a reliable, heavy-duty rotary trimmer is
    needed. The shortest model has a 12 inch cut--I've got one of these
    and also a 24 inch that have been reliable daily performers for years.
    The 12-inch version can be found for a little over $100 if you look
    around. Sadly, the original Nikor rotary cutters are no longer
    available and parts are hard to come by.

    There are a couple German imports that are lighter constuction than
    the Rotatrim, and may be adequate, although the long-term prospects
    for replacement cutter wheels and parts may be questionable. I'd
    avoid the cheap ones such as Fiskars, GBC and a few others that are
    more frustrating than useful, except for very light hobby-type
    applications.

    A good cutter is a tool you will use for a great many years--my
    suggestion is that you consider getting a decent one that will provide
    the kind of service you expect, and one that will continue to have
    parts available.

    Buster, Jan 6, 2004
  7. FM

    Mike G. Guest

    I certainly agree that the RotaTrim is the primo cutter, and if you need
    that quality, it is the one to get. If, however, you will use it only
    occasionally, I offer these thoughts:

    First, get a rotary trimmer. The guillotine style trimmers tend to
    'push' the paper off of the cut line towards the end of the cut. Very
    hard to get a straight and precise cut.

    Second, a less expensive rotary trimmer is the german Dahle. Pretty
    good quality. The Model 507 is a 12.5 inch capacity unit. I saw it all
    over the web at $75 plus minus $20 about a year ago, and finally found
    it for under $45 shipped at this link:

    http://www.mailordercentral.com/labdepot/prodinfo.asp?number=82-239&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=5

    I've been happy with it for light to medium duty.

    Mike

    Mike G., Jan 8, 2004