Photo thumbnail catalog programs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Randy L., Oct 31, 2005.

  1. Randy L.

    Randy L. Guest

    I have hundreds of photos that I have taken that are saved as picture
    files on DVD's. The problem is that with so many photos, it is difficult to
    find an individual picture without having to manually go through all of my
    DVD's searching for that particular picture. I would like to find a program
    that will automatically read the picture files on these DVD's, and create
    thumbnails of the photos. I would like this program to save the thumbnails
    on the hard drive of my PC. Then I could browse the thumbnails, and when I
    find the picture that I am looking for the thumbnail would tell me what DVD,
    and what directory on that DVD the actual picture is on. I would like to be
    able to arrange my thumbnails in different galleries for easier cataloging
    and browsing also. In other words I would like the thumbnail picture to tell
    me on what disc the actual picture exists, without any discs being in my
    drive.
    I thought that ThumbsPlus could do this, but have found that the program
    doesn't actually display any thumbnails unless the media that contains the
    picture is already in the drive. I would like a browsable database of
    thumbnails that resides on my hard drive, and doesn't require the disc that
    has the picture on it to be in the drive.
    Does anyone know of a good photo cataloging program that does this? Any
    help would be greatly appreciated.

    Randy L.
    Randy L., Oct 31, 2005

  2. Randy L.

    Scott W Guest

    Randy L. wrote:
    > I have hundreds of photos that I have taken that are saved as picture
    > files on DVD's. The problem is that with so many photos, it is difficult to
    > find an individual picture without having to manually go through all of my
    > DVD's searching for that particular picture. I would like to find a program
    > that will automatically read the picture files on these DVD's, and create
    > thumbnails of the photos. I would like this program to save the thumbnails
    > on the hard drive of my PC. Then I could browse the thumbnails, and when I
    > find the picture that I am looking for the thumbnail would tell me what DVD,
    > and what directory on that DVD the actual picture is on. I would like to be
    > able to arrange my thumbnails in different galleries for easier cataloging
    > and browsing also. In other words I would like the thumbnail picture to tell
    > me on what disc the actual picture exists, without any discs being in my
    > drive.
    > I thought that ThumbsPlus could do this, but have found that the program
    > doesn't actually display any thumbnails unless the media that contains the
    > picture is already in the drive. I would like a browsable database of
    > thumbnails that resides on my hard drive, and doesn't require the disc that
    > has the picture on it to be in the drive.
    > Does anyone know of a good photo cataloging program that does this? Any
    > help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Randy L.

    Acrchive creator will do what you want.

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/software/archive-creator.shtml

    Scott
    Scott W, Oct 31, 2005

  3. Randy L.

    gambo1953 Guest

    Randy L. wrote:
    > I have hundreds of photos that I have taken that are saved as picture
    > files on DVD's. The problem is that with so many photos, it is difficult to
    > find an individual picture without having to manually go through all of my
    > DVD's searching for that particular picture. I would like to find a program
    > that will automatically read the picture files on these DVD's, and create
    > thumbnails of the photos. I would like this program to save the thumbnails
    > on the hard drive of my PC. Then I could browse the thumbnails, and when I
    > find the picture that I am looking for the thumbnail would tell me what DVD,
    > and what directory on that DVD the actual picture is on. I would like to be
    > able to arrange my thumbnails in different galleries for easier cataloging
    > and browsing also. In other words I would like the thumbnail picture to tell
    > me on what disc the actual picture exists, without any discs being in my
    > drive.
    > I thought that ThumbsPlus could do this, but have found that the program
    > doesn't actually display any thumbnails unless the media that contains the
    > picture is already in the drive. I would like a browsable database of
    > thumbnails that resides on my hard drive, and doesn't require the disc that
    > has the picture on it to be in the drive.
    > Does anyone know of a good photo cataloging program that does this? Any
    > help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Randy L.

    I use Archive Creator and love it!
    gambo1953, Oct 31, 2005
  4. On ma, 31 okt 2005 21:29:39 GMT, Randy L. wrote in message

    > I thought that ThumbsPlus could do this, but have found that
    > the program
    > doesn't actually display any thumbnails unless the media that
    > contains the picture is already in the drive.

    That is not normal behaviour for T+, did you notice the 'offline
    cdroms' and 'offline disks' in the tree?
    I use this function and it works like you want it too.

    --
    groeten, Remco

    homepage: http://nmig.musiceert.nl
    Mail : remco at isgitarist dot nl
    Remco Raaphorst, Oct 31, 2005
  5. Randy L.

    Randy L. Guest

    Remco,
    It's weird, after having T+ scan a disk, it doesn't display the thumbs
    in "Offline CDROMS" unless I shut down the program and start it again. This
    is what was throwing me off. Now that I know this it seems to be working. I
    guess I will go with ThumbsPlus after all. Thanks for the replies...

    Randy L.

    Randy L., Nov 1, 2005
  6. Randy L.

    Jim Guest

    On 2005-10-31 16:29:39 -0500, "Randy L." <> said:

    Extensis Portfolio will do this and more. It will track the image no
    matter where it is (works for any digital asset). I use Extensis on
    the Mac (Windows version too).

    --
    Jim <jen....not....home..remvdots...@....yahoo
    Jim, Nov 1, 2005
  7. "Randy L." <> writes:

    > I have hundreds of photos that I have taken that are saved as picture
    > files on DVD's. The problem is that with so many photos, it is difficult to
    > find an individual picture without having to manually go through all of my
    > DVD's searching for that particular picture. I would like to find a program
    > that will automatically read the picture files on these DVD's, and create
    > thumbnails of the photos. I would like this program to save the thumbnails
    > on the hard drive of my PC. Then I could browse the thumbnails, and when I
    > find the picture that I am looking for the thumbnail would tell me what DVD,
    > and what directory on that DVD the actual picture is on. I would like to be
    > able to arrange my thumbnails in different galleries for easier cataloging
    > and browsing also. In other words I would like the thumbnail picture to tell
    > me on what disc the actual picture exists, without any discs being in my
    > drive.
    > I thought that ThumbsPlus could do this, but have found that the program
    > doesn't actually display any thumbnails unless the media that contains the
    > picture is already in the drive. I would like a browsable database of
    > thumbnails that resides on my hard drive, and doesn't require the disc that
    > has the picture on it to be in the drive.

    That's incorrect; Thumbs Plus does store the thumbnails in its
    database, and will display them even when the media is offline. I
    just verified it again by browsing the thumbnails of several of my
    CDs, none of which is currently in the drive.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 1, 2005
  8. Randy L.

    RandyL Guest

    David,
    You are entirely correct. I initially thought that it wasn't displaying
    the thumbnails because after scanning my first disc and removing it from the
    drive, it did not display the thumbnails in "Offline CDROM's" until after I
    had shut the program down and restarted it. Does this program have a
    "refresh" function where it will display the thumbnails of the disc that it
    just scanned after you remove the disc from the drive, without having to
    shut the program down and restart it?

    Randy L.

    RandyL, Nov 1, 2005
  9. Randy L.

    Bill Lloyd Guest

    On 2005-10-31 13:29:39 -0800, "Randy L." <> said:

    > I have hundreds of photos that I have taken that are saved as
    > picture files on DVD's. The problem is that with so many photos, it is
    > difficult to find an individual picture without having to manually go
    > through all of my DVD's searching for that particular picture. I would
    > like to find a program that will automatically read the picture files
    > on these DVD's, and create thumbnails of the photos. I would like this
    > program to save the thumbnails on the hard drive of my PC. Then I could
    > browse the thumbnails, and when I find the picture that I am looking
    > for the thumbnail would tell me what DVD, and what directory on that
    > DVD the actual picture is on. I would like to be able to arrange my
    > thumbnails in different galleries for easier cataloging and browsing
    > also. In other words I would like the thumbnail picture to tell me on
    > what disc the actual picture exists, without any discs being in my
    > drive.
    > I thought that ThumbsPlus could do this, but have found that the
    > program doesn't actually display any thumbnails unless the media that
    > contains the picture is already in the drive. I would like a browsable
    > database of thumbnails that resides on my hard drive, and doesn't
    > require the disc that has the picture on it to be in the drive.
    > Does anyone know of a good photo cataloging program that does this?
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Randy L.

    iView Media Pro does a very good job at this. Unfortunately, it's
    pretty expensive, at around $200.
    Bill Lloyd, Nov 1, 2005
  10. Randy L.

    tiantian Guest

    tiantian, Nov 2, 2005
  11. "RandyL" <rlink"nospam"@cableone.net> writes:

    > David,
    > You are entirely correct. I initially thought that it wasn't displaying
    > the thumbnails because after scanning my first disc and removing it from the
    > drive, it did not display the thumbnails in "Offline CDROM's" until after I
    > had shut the program down and restarted it. Does this program have a
    > "refresh" function where it will display the thumbnails of the disc that it
    > just scanned after you remove the disc from the drive, without having to
    > shut the program down and restart it?

    Now that you mention it, I've seen that behavior. I don't store stuff
    offline generally, so I don't use the functions enough to remember
    seeing that same problem. I don't know of a refresh, either.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 2, 2005
  12. Randy L.

    Markus L Guest

    I'm very satisfied with iMatch by http://www.photools.com/
    Markus L, Nov 2, 2005
  13. On 10/31/05 1:29 PM, in article , "Randy
    L." <> wrote:

    > I have hundreds of photos that I have taken that are saved as picture
    > files on DVD's. The problem is that with so many photos, it is difficult to
    > find an individual picture without having to manually go through all of my
    > DVD's searching for that particular picture. I would like to find a program
    > that will automatically read the picture files on these DVD's, and create
    > thumbnails of the photos. I would like this program to save the thumbnails
    > on the hard drive of my PC. Then I could browse the thumbnails, and when I
    > find the picture that I am looking for the thumbnail would tell me what DVD,
    > and what directory on that DVD the actual picture is on. I would like to be
    > able to arrange my thumbnails in different galleries for easier cataloging
    > and browsing also. In other words I would like the thumbnail picture to tell
    > me on what disc the actual picture exists, without any discs being in my
    > drive.
    > I thought that ThumbsPlus could do this, but have found that the program
    > doesn't actually display any thumbnails unless the media that contains the
    > picture is already in the drive. I would like a browsable database of
    > thumbnails that resides on my hard drive, and doesn't require the disc that
    > has the picture on it to be in the drive.
    > Does anyone know of a good photo cataloging program that does this? Any
    > help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Randy L.

    After reading Randy's post and all the feedback I became quite interested in
    this as a possibility to better manage my photo archives.

    Although all the software mentioned here seem interesting, since I already
    have Photoshop CS2 with Bridge I was wondering if I could to the same or
    something similar with it.

    Is there anyone on the list using Photoshop CS2 and Bridge for this type of
    archival management ?

    Thank you for your help.

    Joseph

    ---

    Dr. Joseph Chamberlain
    Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
    Joseph Chamberlain, DDS, Nov 2, 2005
  14. Randy L.

    Jeremy Guest

    "Joseph Chamberlain, DDS" <> wrote in message
    > On 10/31/05 1:29 PM, in article , "Randy
    > L." <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have hundreds of photos that I have taken that are saved as picture
    >> files on DVD's. The problem is that with so many photos, it is difficult
    >> find an individual picture without having to manually go through all of
    >> my
    >> DVD's searching for that particular picture. I would like to find a
    >> program
    >> that will automatically read the picture files on these DVD's, and create
    >> thumbnails of the photos. I would like this program to save the
    >> thumbnails
    >> on the hard drive of my PC. Then I could browse the thumbnails, and when
    >> find the picture that I am looking for the thumbnail would tell me what
    >> DVD,
    >> and what directory on that DVD the actual picture is on. I would like to
    >> be
    >> able to arrange my thumbnails in different galleries for easier
    >> cataloging
    >> and browsing also. In other words I would like the thumbnail picture to
    >> tell
    >> me on what disc the actual picture exists, without any discs being in my
    >> drive.
    >> I thought that ThumbsPlus could do this, but have found that the
    >> program
    >> doesn't actually display any thumbnails unless the media that contains
    >> the
    >> picture is already in the drive. I would like a browsable database of
    >> thumbnails that resides on my hard drive, and doesn't require the disc
    >> that
    >> has the picture on it to be in the drive.
    >> Does anyone know of a good photo cataloging program that does this?
    >> Any
    >> help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Randy L.
    >>

    > After reading Randy's post and all the feedback I became quite interested
    > in
    > this as a possibility to better manage my photo archives.
    >
    > Although all the software mentioned here seem interesting, since I already
    > have Photoshop CS2 with Bridge I was wondering if I could to the same or
    > something similar with it.
    >
    > Is there anyone on the list using Photoshop CS2 and Bridge for this type
    > of
    > archival management ?
    >
    > Thank you for your help.
    >
    > Joseph
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Dr. Joseph Chamberlain
    > Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

    I just bought Corel Photo Album 6, and it can catalog images on removable
    disks, in addition to images stored on one's hard drive.

    It's available on a special promotion at 40% off right now. $29/boxed and
    $27 downloaded. Enter promotion Code 1220:

    http://apps.corel.com/nrc/2/new_default.asp?trkid=nrc1005m#pspx
    Jeremy, Nov 2, 2005
  15. Randy L.

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Joseph Chamberlain, DDS <> wrote:

    > Although all the software mentioned here seem interesting, since I already
    > have Photoshop CS2 with Bridge I was wondering if I could to the same or
    > something similar with it.
    >
    > Is there anyone on the list using Photoshop CS2 and Bridge for this type of
    > archival management ?

    Bridge does not catalog images on external discs; you can use it to browse
    a disc, but it doesn't have the feature of keeping a thumbnail and "knowing"
    what disc you burned it to. So, no.

    Lots of people have asked Adobe for this feature, but even if they're going
    to implement it you'd have to wait for CS3 (or whatever) due to Adobe's
    policy about what can and cannot be in an incremental software update (no
    UI features added in minor revisions). Unless they decide that doesn't
    apply to Bridge, I guess, or the feature comes in a plugin/script.

    --
    Jeremy |
    Jeremy Nixon, Nov 2, 2005
  16. Jeremy:

    Thank you for your reply and for the information.

    I am looking forward to Apple's Aperture as it may offer this feature along
    with many other very interesting ones.

    Best regards,

    Joseph

    ---

    Dr. Joseph Chamberlain
    Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

    Joseph Chamberlain, DDS, Nov 4, 2005
  17. Randy L.

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 09:31:53 -0700, "RandyL"
    <rlink"nospam"@cableone.net> wrote:

    > Does this program have a
    > "refresh" function where it will display the thumbnails of the disc that it
    > just scanned after you remove the disc from the drive, without having to
    > shut the program down and restart it?

    Unless it's not used or reserved for another function <F5> is the
    key often used by programs to refresh. Sometimes it refreshes the
    screen, sometimes directory trees. If this doesn't work, check the
    program's Help, which may include a list of keyboard shortcuts.
    ASAAR, Nov 4, 2005