photo tagging saga

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by stuff, May 13, 2006.

  1. stuff

    stuff Guest

    stuff, May 13, 2006

  2. stuff

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    "stuff" <> writes:

    > My saga to find a photo tag/search tool is at
    > http://phototagging.cloudedup.com/The short version of the story.htm
    >
    > I'm very interested in your views of tools, workflows and tag
    > hierarchies.

    You write something insightful on that web page:

    >most important to keep it simple. If it isn't simple then you ain't
    >going to use it!

    Here's my workflow: On my own computer I organize photos
    certain photos were taken, e.g. "2006-05-12 We drove with Jay up to
    Rockport and walked around Halibut Point."

    I put my best photos, plus those text files, in a zip file and upload
    them to ourdoings.com, my wicked cool photo sharing site that everybody
    should use. They get organized chronologically on web pages with the
    text above the photos for each day.

    Putting these text files in the zip file is a new undocumented feature.
    You used to have to do a lot of clicking on a "Draft Photos" page and
    type in things individually.

    When enough photos accumulate, I use ourdoings.com to send an email
    update out that includes thumbnails right in the message, so it's easier
    to scan than attachments.

    The key here is that text goes with days, not individual pictures. It's
    not as fine-grained as per-picture tags, but generally suffices to let
    me find things. The big thing is that it's easier and faster to type in
    one sentence than to correctly tag all 20 photos for that day.

    Even if you don't use ourdoings.com, you can use the workflow of keeping
    a separate text file per day that won't get eaten by even the worst
    photo editing program, and you aren't locked into any particular photo
    organizing package.

    --

    http://ourdoings.com/ Easily organize and disseminate news and
    photos for your family or group.

    Bruce Lewis, May 13, 2006

  3. stuff

    Paul Allen Guest

    On 12 May 2006 18:12:00 -0700
    "stuff" <> wrote:

    > My saga to find a photo tag/search tool is at
    > http://phototagging.cloudedup.com/The short version of the story.htm
    >
    > I'm very interested in your views of tools, workflows and tag
    > hierarchies.

    I use a perl script with a Tk GUI front end to manage my >10000
    images. Metadata is stored in an XML file. I don't store
    metadata in filenames, and normally don't rename images at all.
    The purpose of the project was to be able to find images by
    arbitrary criteria later, so a lot of effort has gone into the
    tagging and selection interface. Tags are hierarchical, can
    be extended as needed, can be applied or removed to batches of
    images, etc. Related images live in folders and can have
    descriptive text attached to them. Arbitrary selections of
    images can be linked into virtual folders, transformed into
    HTML, printed, etc. The tagging of images after a weekend of
    shooting is the fun part and takes very little time. Other
    than some cropping or rotation, or the odd case of bad exosure
    or bad noise, I don't edit images as part of my workflow. It takes
    much longer to select the images to go on a web page and write
    the text to go with them than to bring them into the database
    and tag them.

    I have a long to-do list. The tags need to be replicated
    as IPTC keywords inside the images for redundancy. The code
    needs to be refactored into more of a model-view-controller
    arrangement, with the model separated out so that multiple
    viewer/editor processes can access the database simultaneously.
    That means locking, atomic updates, notification of changes
    by other editors, etc. I need the ability to move tags in the
    hierarchy. Some parts of the code are more buggy than others
    and need attention.

    That's the view from my knot-hole.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, May 13, 2006
  4. stuff

    Guest

    , May 13, 2006
  5. stuff

    stuff Guest

    stuff, May 18, 2006
  6. stuff

    stuff Guest

    I've added useful links, my workflow and now fixed up lots of the bad
    text - it's a lot more readable now.

    stuff, May 20, 2006