    hate to come home and find out about a rare view or a rare shot I could
    have taken had I done my homework. Are there any shots you can
    recommend?

    Hoshisato, Sep 18, 2006

  2. Hoshisato

    Marvin Guest

    Hoshisato wrote:
    > I'll be visiting Venice, Italy soon and I've started reading up on it
    > and no doubt I will find plenty of photo opportunities, but I would
    > hate to come home and find out about a rare view or a rare shot I could
    > have taken had I done my homework. Are there any shots you can
    > recommend?

    I recommend that you spend a day or more island-hopping on
    the water buses. You buy a daily ticket (or a three-day
    ticket) and hop on the bus to the next island. It gets you
    away from the places where there are more tourists than natives.

    Marvin, Sep 18, 2006

  3. Hoshisato

    sally Guest

    In article <>,
    Hoshisato <> wrote:
    >I'll be visiting Venice, Italy soon and I've started reading up on it
    >and no doubt I will find plenty of photo opportunities, but I would
    >hate to come home and find out about a rare view or a rare shot I could
    >have taken had I done my homework. Are there any shots you can
    >recommend?

    You can find all the standard tourist shots by looking at post cards
    or tourist guide books. Some more interesting shots might be empty
    streets late at night or the real residents walking and working early
    in the morning before all the tourists wake up.

    sally, Sep 18, 2006
  4. Hoshisato wrote:
    > I'll be visiting Venice, Italy soon and I've started reading up on it
    > and no doubt I will find plenty of photo opportunities, but I would
    > hate to come home and find out about a rare view or a rare shot I
    > could have taken had I done my homework. Are there any shots you can
    > recommend?

    Take a camping mattress with you and photograph the ceiling of the Sistine
    Chapel, Michaelangelo-style!

    Dennis Pogson, Sep 18, 2006
  5. Hoshisato

    Clive Guest

    I don't understand. He is going to Venice, not Rome.

    Clive, Sep 18, 2006
  6. Hoshisato

    Guest

    Hoshisato wrote:
    > I'll be visiting Venice, Italy soon and I've started reading up on it
    > and no doubt I will find plenty of photo opportunities, but I would
    > hate to come home and find out about a rare view or a rare shot I could
    > have taken had I done my homework. Are there any shots you can
    > recommend?

    How soon is soon? If you are there and the rainy season has begun you
    might get lucky and see "Alta Acqua" when venice floods. Strong
    southerly winds pushing up the Adriatic and a new or full moon are the
    forecasters Look for the stacked up raised sidewalks stashed in
    various locations. St. Marks is one of the first areas to flood.
    Great people shots on the walkways with Venice in the background. Try
    and take a day trip to Padua, trains from Mestre Station probably every
    40 minutes on average for the half hour trip.

    , Sep 18, 2006
  7. Hoshisato

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Hoshisato <> wrote:

    > I'll be visiting Venice, Italy soon and I've started reading up on it
    > and no doubt I will find plenty of photo opportunities, but I would
    > hate to come home and find out about a rare view or a rare shot I could
    > have taken had I done my homework. Are there any shots you can
    > recommend?

    Venice is the kind of place where you get a good photo when you
    accidentally drop your camera.

    Just explore and you'll find stuff. You could spend a lifetime wandering
    around that place and finding pictures. I suggest learning the history
    rather than looking for photogenic stuff.

    Paul Mitchum, Sep 18, 2006
  8. Hoshisato

    Lee K Guest

    "Hoshisato" <> wrote in message
    > I'll be visiting Venice, Italy soon and I've started reading up on it
    > and no doubt I will find plenty of photo opportunities, but I would
    > hate to come home and find out about a rare view or a rare shot I could
    > have taken had I done my homework. Are there any shots you can
    > recommend?

    Here's a gallery of pictures another visitor to Venice posted elsewhere.
    Some interesting shots.

    http://tinyurl.com/pbusp

    Lee K, Sep 19, 2006
  9. Hoshisato wrote:
    > I'll be visiting Venice, Italy soon and I've started reading up on it
    > and no doubt I will find plenty of photo opportunities, but I would
    > hate to come home and find out about a rare view or a rare shot I could
    > have taken had I done my homework. Are there any shots you can
    > recommend?

    Remember to go to the top of the belltower for great views. Also, see
    little shops on small side streets.
    Morton

    Morton Linder, Sep 19, 2006
  10. Lee K wrote:

    > "Hoshisato" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'll be visiting Venice, Italy soon and I've started reading up on it
    >>and no doubt I will find plenty of photo opportunities, but I would
    >>hate to come home and find out about a rare view or a rare shot I could
    >>have taken had I done my homework. Are there any shots you can
    >>recommend?
    >>

    > Here's a gallery of pictures another visitor to Venice posted elsewhere.
    > Some interesting shots.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/pbusp

    Your link is to Elvis Presley's Graceland, which is about 4,000 miles
    from Venice.
    Morton

    Morton Linder, Sep 19, 2006
  11. Hoshisato

    Roger Wright Guest

    We were there about 4 years ago. You're right... there's a photo
    opportunity every time you turn around.

    Check out the side streets/canals, take a look at the windows on residences
    as well as store window displays. I always enjoy seeing how food is
    displayed (gelato, YUM!), and try to catch glimpses of how people live.
    Signs also give you a sense of "foreign" places.

    Here's some digital and scanned images from our visit to Venice:
    http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AaN2jlm0ZNGFn
    or http://tinyurl.com/l9uj8

    Roger

    Roger Wright, Sep 19, 2006
  12. Hoshisato

    Lee K Guest

    "Morton Linder" <> wrote in message
    > Lee K wrote:
    >
    >> "Hoshisato" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I'll be visiting Venice, Italy soon and I've started reading up on it
    >>>and no doubt I will find plenty of photo opportunities, but I would
    >>>hate to come home and find out about a rare view or a rare shot I could
    >>>have taken had I done my homework. Are there any shots you can
    >>>recommend?
    >>>

    >> Here's a gallery of pictures another visitor to Venice posted elsewhere.
    >> Some interesting shots.
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/pbusp

    > Your link is to Elvis Presley's Graceland, which is about 4,000 miles from
    > Venice.
    > Morton

    So it does. Don't know what happened but just click on "all galleries" on
    the line above the photo and an array of folders appears, one of which is
    Venice.

    Lee K, Sep 19, 2006
  13. Morton Linder wrote:
    > Lee K wrote:
    >>
    >> Here's a gallery of pictures another visitor to Venice posted
    >> elsewhere. Some interesting shots.
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/pbusp
    >>

    > Your link is to Elvis Presley's Graceland, which is about 4,000 miles
    > from Venice.

    I don't go to tiny urls, but I'll take your word for it. Perhaps he
    meant Venice, Fla, ca. 500 miles away....

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Sep 19, 2006
  14. Hoshisato

    Hoshisato Guest

    Roger Wright wrote:
    > We were there about 4 years ago. You're right... there's a photo
    > opportunity every time you turn around.
    >
    > Check out the side streets/canals, take a look at the windows on residences
    > as well as store window displays. I always enjoy seeing how food is
    > displayed (gelato, YUM!), and try to catch glimpses of how people live.
    > Signs also give you a sense of "foreign" places.
    >
    > Here's some digital and scanned images from our visit to Venice:
    > http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AaN2jlm0ZNGFn
    > or http://tinyurl.com/l9uj8

    Thank you all for your feedback!

    Hoshisato, Sep 19, 2006
  15. Hoshisato

    Stewy Guest

    In article <eemlai$mkh$>, (sally)
    wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Hoshisato <> wrote:
    > >I'll be visiting Venice, Italy soon and I've started reading up on it
    > >and no doubt I will find plenty of photo opportunities, but I would
    > >hate to come home and find out about a rare view or a rare shot I could
    > >have taken had I done my homework. Are there any shots you can
    > >recommend?

    > You can find all the standard tourist shots by looking at post cards
    > or tourist guide books. Some more interesting shots might be empty
    > streets late at night or the real residents walking and working early
    > in the morning before all the tourists wake up.

    A telephoto is a must as you can't cross the street easily. Zooms are
    the best bet. San Michele (the cemetery island) is well worth a visit.
    Don't bother with water taxis - they're one big rip-off. Rent a gondola
    and explain you want to see the back canals. Torcello, Burano and Murano
    make a good day trip.

    Even with a detailed map you going to get lost so it may take 2 hours to
    walk from one side to the other. Muggings seem to be rare but women
    should take care.

    Summer makes a packed Venice - even October will be crowded, November to
    March is usually best. May has a lot of rain.

    Get out early, if possible at sunrise or before. Siesta after lunch
    until about 4 unless you're going to the islands.

    Get a bike cape or waterproof jacket & pants for the rainy days as you
    should be outside when the other tourists run for cover.

    Look for <old> things - broken houses, flaking paint etc. The Lido is
    just fancy hotels and not really worth a visit.

    If you're taking a lot of photo equipment, consider getting a metal
    carry case you can stand on.

    Watch the movie <Don't Look Now> for some ideas.

    Good luck and post some pictures somewhere so we can all enjoy your trip.

    Stewy, Sep 19, 2006
  16. Hoshisato

    Marvin Guest

    Stewy wrote:
    > In article <eemlai$mkh$>, (sally)
    > wrote:
    >

    > Summer makes a packed Venice - even October will be crowded, November to
    > March is usually best. May has a lot of rain.

    With luck(?) you can get photos of Venice flooded. It
    happens every winter. The seas are rising, and Venice is
    sinking.

    Marvin, Sep 19, 2006
  17. Hoshisato

    PTravel Guest

    "Hoshisato" <> wrote in message
    > I'll be visiting Venice, Italy soon and I've started reading up on it
    > and no doubt I will find plenty of photo opportunities, but I would
    > hate to come home and find out about a rare view or a rare shot I could
    > have taken had I done my homework. Are there any shots you can
    > recommend?

    I can't recommend specific shots, but one thing I'd definitely advise is get
    off the tourist beaten path, i.e. don't just confine yourself to the area
    between the Rialto bridge and Piazza San Marco. If you just wander, you'll
    encounter the real Venice were people live -- it's a different city
    entirely.

    PTravel, Sep 19, 2006
  18. Hoshisato

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    Marvin <> wrote:

    > Stewy wrote:
    > > In article <eemlai$mkh$>, (sally)
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > > Summer makes a packed Venice - even October will be crowded, November to
    > > March is usually best. May has a lot of rain.

    > With luck(?) you can get photos of Venice flooded. It
    > happens every winter. The seas are rising, and Venice is
    > sinking.

    perhaps I should have added flippers and a wetsuit?

    Stewy, Sep 20, 2006
  19. Morton Linder wrote:
    > Hoshisato wrote:
    >
    >> I'll be visiting Venice, Italy soon and I've started reading up on it
    >> and no doubt I will find plenty of photo opportunities, but I would
    >> hate to come home and find out about a rare view or a rare shot I could
    >> have taken had I done my homework. Are there any shots you can
    >> recommend?
    >>

    > Remember to go to the top of the belltower for great views. Also, see
    > little shops on small side streets.
    > Morton

    Hi Lee K.,

    Thanks for the tip. I did indeed find the Venice folder, and the pix
    were very nice.

    Morton

    Morton Linder, Sep 20, 2006
  20. Hoshisato

    Stephen Guest

    Hoshisato wrote:
    > I'll be visiting Venice, Italy soon and I've started reading up on it
    > and no doubt I will find plenty of photo opportunities, but I would
    > hate to come home and find out about a rare view or a rare shot I could
    > have taken had I done my homework. Are there any shots you can
    > recommend?

    The different islands have different characters and it's interesting to
    capture that difference - I like Murano (where there are glass furnaces)
    and Burano (where the houses are a mix of vibrant colours). Stayed in a
    small hotel in Murano (there's only a couple) and early morning and late
    night shots were interesting. The fish market is also good - didn't know
    there were so many varieties of squid.

    Stephen, Sep 20, 2006