    a Mac versus a PC since I use a PC?

    Thanking all in advance.
    Eddy
    eddy long, Jun 25, 2005

  2. eddy long

    Ray Fischer Guest

    eddy long <eddylong@boloney!_NOSPAM_.net> wrote:
    >Using:
    >Gateway PC
    >MS Win 98
    >--------------------------
    >
    >Hello all,
    >I am thinking of submitting some digital images for publication.
    >
    >Many publishers say that they "accept images in digital format *for Mac*".

    Don't know what that's supposed to mean. As far as I know there
    aren't any Mac-specific image formats. JPEG would a likely format,
    as would TIFF.

    >I usually save my images as .jpg or .gif files.

    If you offer a .gif file for publication they will (rightly) laugh at you.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Jun 25, 2005

  3. eddy long

    C Wright Guest

    On 6/25/05 4:18 PM, in article , "eddy long"
    <eddylong@boloney!_NOSPAM_.net> wrote:

    > Using:
    > Gateway PC
    > MS Win 98
    > --------------------------
    >
    > Hello all,
    > I am thinking of submitting some digital images for publication.
    >
    > Many publishers say that they "accept images in digital format *for Mac*".
    >
    > I usually save my images as .jpg or .gif files.
    >
    > What difference does it make as far as viewing the images that I submit for
    > a Mac versus a PC since I use a PC?
    >
    > Thanking all in advance.
    > Eddy

    More information is needed to answer your question. By publication do you
    mean on the Internet or published in a newspaper or magazine? If on the
    Internet then jpg is the way to go, and PC or Mac it does not matter. As
    far as viewing the images is concerned the default gamma on a Mac is
    typically 1.8 whereas the default gamma on a PC is usually 2.2. This can
    make for some differences in how an image looks on a Mac versus a PC.
    However, since you are preparing the images on a PC, and there are far more
    PC's than Macs, I would not worry about that. Additionally, most people's
    monitors are so far out of adjustment that the subtle differences between a
    PC and a Mac pale by comparison!
    Chuck
    C Wright, Jun 26, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    "eddy long" <eddylong@boloney!_NOSPAM_.net> wrote:

    > Using:
    > Gateway PC
    > MS Win 98
    > --------------------------
    >
    > Hello all,
    > I am thinking of submitting some digital images for publication.
    >
    > Many publishers say that they "accept images in digital format *for Mac*".
    >
    > I usually save my images as .jpg or .gif files.
    >
    > What difference does it make as far as viewing the images that I submit for
    > a Mac versus a PC since I use a PC?
    >
    > Thanking all in advance.
    > Eddy

    No one wants gifs; jpegs are usually ok, but print publications
    generally want higher resolution tif files, which need to be made
    compatible with Mac extensions to open, also CD's need to burned
    with the current ISO standard that make them compatible on either
    system.

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
    Gregory Blank, Jun 28, 2005