    photos before I upload them?
    many thanks
    sol

    mainman, Jan 3, 2007

  2. mainman

    Charles Guest

    On 3 Jan 2007 12:07:34 -0800, "mainman" <>
    wrote:

    >I recently tried to submit some digital photos to a web site-the
    >quality was fine, but they were rejected beacause they were "larger
    >than 1024x(something)??? wide. Fine....how do I check the size of my
    >photos before I upload them?
    >many thanks
    >sol

    What photo programs do you use?

    with Irfanview, you can open the picture, click on Image, then
    Information, and see what the picture is in pixels..

    Charles, Jan 3, 2007

  3. mainman wrote:
    > I recently tried to submit some digital photos to a web site-the
    > quality was fine, but they were rejected beacause they were "larger
    > than 1024x(something)??? wide. Fine....how do I check the size of my
    > photos before I upload them?
    > many thanks
    > sol

    It depends on the photo editing programs you have available. Most will
    allow you to resize the photos.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit

    Joseph Meehan, Jan 3, 2007
  4. mainman

    mainman Guest

    Thanks for the reply Charles, I tried the program you mentioned, and
    that's a great feature-at least I can quickly check the size of my
    photos now!
    Now another question, if I may....how do I reduce the size of a picture
    to a more acceptable (for the site I am trying to upload to) level??
    Yes, I am a newbie to all this.......;-)

    regards
    Sol

    mainman, Jan 3, 2007
  5. mainman

    Bucky Guest

    mainman wrote:
    > Now another question, if I may....how do I reduce the size of a picture
    > to a more acceptable (for the site I am trying to upload to) level??
    > Yes, I am a newbie to all this.......;-)

    Image > Resize

    Bucky, Jan 3, 2007
  6. mainman

    mainman Guest

    Bucky, doh, just spotted it after I hit send........

    thanks

    mainman, Jan 3, 2007
  7. On 3 Jan 2007 12:07:34 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "mainman"
    <> wrote:

    >I recently tried to submit some digital photos to a web site-the
    >quality was fine, but they were rejected beacause they were "larger
    >than 1024x(something)??? wide. Fine....how do I check the size of my
    >photos before I upload them?

    Right click on the file in Windoze Explorer, choose Properties, select the
    Summary tab, then click the Advanced button.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 3, 2007
  8. mainman

    Dave Cohen Guest

    mainman wrote:
    > I recently tried to submit some digital photos to a web site-the
    > quality was fine, but they were rejected beacause they were "larger
    > than 1024x(something)??? wide. Fine....how do I check the size of my
    > photos before I upload them?
    > many thanks
    > sol

    There's something wrong here. First, all the services I've used have
    never complained about the file(s) from my A95 5mp model. If they do
    have limits, they'll express them in file size in mb. I suppose some of
    the higher mp cameras might produce files too large to upload. The main
    reason you might want to voluntarily re-size would be to reduce upload
    time. A more likely limitation is total upload in a single session.
    Also, 1024 pixels wide isn't that high a resolution.

    Try again, this time write down exactly what the complaint is and
    re-post. You might want to see if you get the same problem from
    www.york.com or another site. I use york, they're low cost and decent
    quality.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jan 3, 2007
  9. mainman

    Roy G Guest

    "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    > mainman wrote:
    >> I recently tried to submit some digital photos to a web site-the
    >> quality was fine, but they were rejected beacause they were "larger
    >> than 1024x(something)??? wide. Fine....how do I check the size of my
    >> photos before I upload them?
    >> many thanks
    >> sol
    >>

    > There's something wrong here. First, all the services I've used have never
    > complained about the file(s) from my A95 5mp model. If they do have
    > limits, they'll express them in file size in mb. I suppose some of the
    > higher mp cameras might produce files too large to upload. The main reason
    > you might want to voluntarily re-size would be to reduce upload time. A
    > more likely limitation is total upload in a single session. Also, 1024
    > pixels wide isn't that high a resolution.
    >
    > Try again, this time write down exactly what the complaint is and re-post.
    > You might want to see if you get the same problem from www.york.com or
    > another site. I use york, they're low cost and decent quality.
    > Dave Cohen

    Hi.

    I suspect you are talking about uploading to a Printing Service, while he is
    talking about uploading to a Website for display.

    As a the Webmaster (sounds good, but aint) for the local Camera Club, it is
    a total pain when people send the wrong sized images.

    I have to resize them, and resave them, which can make a quite drastic
    quality reduction on any that were already "Saved for Web".

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jan 3, 2007
  10. mainman

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Roy G wrote:
    > "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    >> mainman wrote:
    >>> I recently tried to submit some digital photos to a web site-the
    >>> quality was fine, but they were rejected beacause they were "larger
    >>> than 1024x(something)??? wide. Fine....how do I check the size of my
    >>> photos before I upload them?
    >>> many thanks
    >>> sol
    >>>

    >> There's something wrong here. First, all the services I've used have never
    >> complained about the file(s) from my A95 5mp model. If they do have
    >> limits, they'll express them in file size in mb. I suppose some of the
    >> higher mp cameras might produce files too large to upload. The main reason
    >> you might want to voluntarily re-size would be to reduce upload time. A
    >> more likely limitation is total upload in a single session. Also, 1024
    >> pixels wide isn't that high a resolution.
    >>
    >> Try again, this time write down exactly what the complaint is and re-post.
    >> You might want to see if you get the same problem from www.york.com or
    >> another site. I use york, they're low cost and decent quality.
    >> Dave Cohen

    > Hi.
    >
    > I suspect you are talking about uploading to a Printing Service, while he is
    > talking about uploading to a Website for display.
    >
    > As a the Webmaster (sounds good, but aint) for the local Camera Club, it is
    > a total pain when people send the wrong sized images.
    >
    > I have to resize them, and resave them, which can make a quite drastic
    > quality reduction on any that were already "Saved for Web".
    >
    > Roy G

    Your observation is correct and certainly makes more sense, as does
    pixel size. Working with a friend and uploading to a site to display
    book covers, they kindly supplied exact details on how to save (in this
    case scanned images). Also, my reference to york should have been
    yorkphoto.com. Thanks for catching that.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jan 3, 2007
  11. Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:

    > Right click on the file in Windoze Explorer, choose Properties,
    > select the Summary tab, then click the Advanced button.

    Thanks, I had never hit the Advanced button before. That may come in
    handy.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit

    Joseph Meehan, Jan 3, 2007
  12. mainman

    Frank ess Guest

    Joseph Meehan wrote:
    > Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
    > ..
    >>
    >> Right click on the file in Windoze Explorer, choose Properties,
    >> select the Summary tab, then click the Advanced button.

    > Thanks, I had never hit the Advanced button before. That may
    > come in handy.

    You can add "Dimensions" to the WinExplorer files display. That'll put
    a column of ????x??? where you can see it:
    View-->Choose Details, check Dimensions

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jan 4, 2007
  13. mainman

    Ron Hunter Guest

    mainman wrote:
    > I recently tried to submit some digital photos to a web site-the
    > quality was fine, but they were rejected beacause they were "larger
    > than 1024x(something)??? wide. Fine....how do I check the size of my
    > photos before I upload them?
    > many thanks
    > sol

    If you were submitting the pictures for anything but viewing online,
    find a better website. It is possible to resize pictures with programs
    like Irfanview to the size (in pixels) you want, but make sure the
    purpose you have in mind is served by the reduced resolution.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 4, 2007