    Do all the sites operate like that?
    My goal is to post pictures anyone can view, but not copy.

    Thanks,
    Joe J, Oct 31, 2010

  2. Joe J

    Baron Guest

    Joe J Inscribed thus:

    > Do any of the photo sharing sites have an option to prevent copying of
    > posted photos.
    > I'm on Photobucket and can turn off the copy function for albums but
    > if it is a public album, anyone viewing can still use Facebook,
    > Twitter etc. to send the pictures and make copies.
    > I checked with Photobucket and they say there is no way to prevent the
    > Facebook type sharing.
    > Do all the sites operate like that?
    > My goal is to post pictures anyone can view, but not copy.
    >
    > Thanks,

    It is next to impossible to prevent copying in some form ! About all
    you can do is use a file sharing site that gives you a link that you
    can pass on to only those people that you want to view the pictures.
    Of course if a third party then passes on that link it could become
    public. There are various techniques that you can use to watermark the
    pictures, at least then you have some proof of ownership.

    HTH.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Oct 31, 2010

  3. "Baron" <> wrote in message
    > Joe J Inscribed thus:
    >
    >> Do any of the photo sharing sites have an option to prevent copying of
    >> posted photos.
    >> I'm on Photobucket and can turn off the copy function for albums but
    >> if it is a public album, anyone viewing can still use Facebook,
    >> Twitter etc. to send the pictures and make copies.
    >> I checked with Photobucket and they say there is no way to prevent the
    >> Facebook type sharing.
    >> Do all the sites operate like that?
    >> My goal is to post pictures anyone can view, but not copy.
    >>
    >> Thanks,

    > It is next to impossible to prevent copying in some form ! About all
    > you can do is use a file sharing site that gives you a link that you
    > can pass on to only those people that you want to view the pictures.
    > Of course if a third party then passes on that link it could become
    > public. There are various techniques that you can use to watermark the
    > pictures, at least then you have some proof of ownership.

    Watermarking your work makes it so nobody would even want to copy it. Who
    wants a picture of the Grand Canyon with BOB'S PICTURE watermarked across
    it?

    Having said that, I thought that one could post stuff on their own site, or
    on a public site, with an attribute that would prevent copying. I know that
    documents can be posted that can't be edited or printed, one should be able
    to protect images from being copied.
    Jeff Strickland, Oct 31, 2010
  4. Joe J

    Baron Guest

    Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:

    > "Baron" <> wrote in message
    >> Joe J Inscribed thus:
    >>
    >>> Do any of the photo sharing sites have an option to prevent copying
    >>> of posted photos.
    >>> I'm on Photobucket and can turn off the copy function for albums but
    >>> if it is a public album, anyone viewing can still use Facebook,
    >>> Twitter etc. to send the pictures and make copies.
    >>> I checked with Photobucket and they say there is no way to prevent
    >>> the Facebook type sharing.
    >>> Do all the sites operate like that?
    >>> My goal is to post pictures anyone can view, but not copy.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,

    >> It is next to impossible to prevent copying in some form ! About all
    >> you can do is use a file sharing site that gives you a link that you
    >> can pass on to only those people that you want to view the pictures.
    >> Of course if a third party then passes on that link it could become
    >> public. There are various techniques that you can use to watermark
    >> the pictures, at least then you have some proof of ownership.
    >>

    > Watermarking your work makes it so nobody would even want to copy it.
    > Who wants a picture of the Grand Canyon with BOB'S PICTURE watermarked
    > across it?

    Easy to get rid of with a photo editor or at least disguise. You can
    watermark without having any obvious mark.

    > Having said that, I thought that one could post stuff on their own
    > site, or on a public site, with an attribute that would prevent
    > copying. I know that documents can be posted that can't be edited or
    > printed, one should be able to protect images from being copied.

    A screen grab sorts that one. ;-)

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Oct 31, 2010
  5. Joe J

    VanguardLH Guest

    Joe J wrote:

    > Do any of the photo sharing sites have an option to prevent copying of
    > posted photos.
    > I'm on Photobucket and can turn off the copy function for albums but if it
    > is a public album, anyone viewing can still use Facebook, Twitter etc. to
    > send the pictures and make copies.
    > I checked with Photobucket and they say there is no way to prevent the
    > Facebook type sharing.
    > Do all the sites operate like that?
    > My goal is to post pictures anyone can view, but not copy.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Since you decide that someone else can see the photo, they can copy it.
    It appears in their web browser. In IE, all they have to do is
    right-click and choose Save Picture As. In some other web-facing app
    that doesn't have this feature, well, if the user can see it then they
    can use a screen capture utility to grab a copy of anything that
    displays on their screen.

    I don't know what you mean by "Facebook sharing". Might that be the
    photo has a URL that anyone could then provide a link somewhere else
    (Facebook, their blog site, Twitter, in a .pdf file, or wherever)? The
    only way to block that type of access is if the site doesn't permit
    direct links to photos stored on their server. That means others would
    have to navigate through some menus or links on the site before they
    could get to the picture. However, because the site is providing direct
    links for your convenience, how would they know that you aren't you just
    because your dynamic IP address changed, you were on a different host
    when you wanted to see the photo, or you told someone else the URL to
    the photo and their IP address is different?

    If they can view it, they can copy it. That's because you don't get to
    control their host. It shows on their screen. Anything on their host
    can be manipulated per their wants. You could use photo sites that
    require others to create an account their and to login before they can
    view your pics (so you can have a log of who saw what and when and how
    often, if the site provides those stats). That would be a big nuisance
    to many of your viewers of your photos resulting in far less viewers
    ever seeing your photos.

    Curious. Just WHERE are you getting these photos in the first place?
    Are they really your property? If so, have you copyrighted them or
    executed "performance" to document their creation to prove copyright
    status? If you're releasing them into the public domain, why do you
    think you still have a copyright on them, especially since you are
    releasing them in a venue that has worldwide proliferation resulting is
    distribution across many countries of varying copyright statutes? You
    could add meta (EXIF) data to the photo with your name, copyright info,
    and other tags to identify the photo as supposedly yours (if it really
    is) but there exist lots of utilities to strip those tags. About the
    best you can do is use steganography to encode some copyright text
    within the image (but if it's not actually your property than trying to
    stamp it as your own could get you in as hot water as you intend onto
    others with your invisible "it's mine" stamp). However, no amount of
    EXIF data or steganographic stamping is going to keep other users from
    copying the photo. If they can see it, they can copy it.

    Another possibility is not to distribute your photo in a file format for
    images. Instead put the image inside a .pdf file. Then add attributes
    on the PDF document to prevent printing and copying. Add an owner
    password (and no user password) so others can open the .pdf file to see
    the photo inside. However, that still won't prevent users of screen
    capture software from grabbing a copy. All you can do is nuisance users
    who don't know of or have installed the software needed to snatch of
    copy of whatever they can see on their screen. So you nuisance your
    regular users but don't really prevent anyone from making a copy.
    VanguardLH, Nov 1, 2010
  6. Joe J

    Joe J Guest

    Thanks for all the answers!
    Joe J

    Joe J, Nov 1, 2010
  7. Joe J

    adam

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2010
    Messages:
    4
    Postonweb

    You can use the latest website for sharing photos i.e postonweb.net

    Regards,
    Adam
    YourSystemAdmins.com
    adam, Nov 4, 2010