    computer equio at home at all. Zip!

    Any advise on services that can do this?
    , Jul 30, 2007

  2. <> wrote

    > Any advise on services that can do this?

    Me. Where are you and how much money have you got ;-)

    Chris
    Chris Gilbert, Jul 30, 2007

  3. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I have abt 100 family photos of various shapes and
    > sizes (old) that Id like to have scanned and digitized
    >
    > I don't have the time or equip to do myself. No
    > computer equio at home at all. Zip!
    >
    > Any advise on services that can do this?

    IF you don't have a computer why do you want digital pictures?

    carrying a cross."
    Sinclair Lewis
    Ockham's Razor, Jul 30, 2007
  4. George Kerby Guest

    On 7/30/07 12:19 PM, in article
    -sjc.supernews.net, "Ockham's Razor"
    <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have abt 100 family photos of various shapes and
    >> sizes (old) that Id like to have scanned and digitized
    >>
    >> I don't have the time or equip to do myself. No
    >> computer equio at home at all. Zip!
    >>
    >> Any advise on services that can do this?

    > IF you don't have a computer why do you want digital pictures?

    And, how did he post that? IPhone?
    George Kerby, Jul 30, 2007
  5. Guest

    Ockham's Razor <> wrote:

    >IF you don't have a computer why do you want digital pictures?

    Have plenty of computer access at college campus

    And am downsizing...eliminating clutter..... going
    digital

    Will keep ALL pics in online web albums form here on
    out. No paper based pic albums
    , Jul 30, 2007
  6. Guest

    George Kerby <> wrote:

    >And, how did he post that? IPhone?

    College campus computer lab

    I'm full time adult college student

    Use Agent news reader and run it of USB thumb drive
    , Jul 30, 2007
  7. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Ockham's Razor <> wrote:
    >
    > >IF you don't have a computer why do you want digital pictures?

    > Have plenty of computer access at college campus
    >
    > And am downsizing...eliminating clutter..... going
    > digital
    >
    > Will keep ALL pics in online web albums form here on
    > out. No paper based pic albums

    If you are not going to be in college for ever and don't want to drag
    people over to the college computer lab to look at your treasures you
    might consider getting a computer for personal use.

    Doesn't the college computer lab have a scanner that could handle your
    pictures? You might not need a "Photo scanning service".

    carrying a cross."
    Sinclair Lewis
    Ockham's Razor, Jul 30, 2007
  8. ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:08:50 -0500, wrote:

    > I have abt 100 family photos of various shapes and
    > sizes (old) that Id like to have scanned and digitized
    >
    > I don't have the time or equip to do myself. No
    > computer equio at home at all. Zip!
    >
    > Any advise on services that can do this?

    I recently took some pictures of several other family members' old
    prints, only about a dozen all told. One set was using a DSLR on a
    tripod with the the photos held securely. For the other set (taken
    in another home) the pictures were placed on the carpet and shot
    using a P&S, handheld. Both sets came out very good, and while a
    professional service may have done a slightly better job, the
    results I got were hard to distinguish from the originals. The P&S
    had the easier job, since the shots were B&W and very old. At the
    time the pictures were originally taken, there may have been a
    barbershop quartet singing in the background. :) One was about 80
    years old, the others quite a bit older.

    If you want to test this with a picture or two, I'd suggest using
    a tripod and not using the camera's flash, as glare can cause severe
    image problems. Even a very cheap tripod should work well, but
    might require you to use the camera's built-in shutter time delay.
    ASAAR, Jul 30, 2007
  9. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > Ockham's Razor <> wrote:
    >
    >> IF you don't have a computer why do you want digital pictures?

    > Have plenty of computer access at college campus
    >
    > And am downsizing...eliminating clutter..... going
    > digital
    >
    > Will keep ALL pics in online web albums form here on
    > out. No paper based pic albums

    You should understand that web-based photo storage is subject to loss
    should the website go down for reasons totally beyond your control.
    That would be a disaster, and it HAS happened to many. I suggest if you
    choose this approach, you consider storing the pictures at more than one
    place, and make sure you can download anything you uploaded in case you
    want to have a computer of your own later.
    Ron Hunter, Jul 31, 2007
  10. Guest

    Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    >You should understand that web-based photo storage is subject to loss
    >should the website go down for reasons totally beyond your control.
    >That would be a disaster, and it HAS happened to many. I suggest if you
    >choose this approach, you consider storing the pictures at more than one
    >place, and make sure you can download anything you uploaded in case you
    >want to have a computer of your own later.

    Agree...will have more than one web album

    Actually...Id like to get a "magazine" made of all the
    digital pics once they are scanned....like a published
    magazine
    , Jul 31, 2007
  11. Guest

    ASAAR <> wrote:

    > I recently took some pictures of several other family members' old
    >prints, only about a dozen all told. One set was using a DSLR on a
    >tripod with the the photos held securely. For the other set (taken
    >in another home) the pictures were placed on the carpet and shot
    >using a P&S, handheld. Both sets came out very good, and while a
    >professional service may have done a slightly better job, the
    >results I got were hard to distinguish from the originals. The P&S
    >had the easier job, since the shots were B&W and very old. At the
    >time the pictures were originally taken, there may have been a
    >barbershop quartet singing in the background. :) One was about 80
    >years old, the others quite a bit older.

    OK...I do have a cheap digital camera.... interesting
    idea. Will try it!
    , Jul 31, 2007
  12. rage42082

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    I recommend Scan4less for photo scanning and restoration

    I used Scan4less to scan over 1,000 old photos and about 50 VHS tapes. I spoke with the president of the company when I called and I got my photos and DVDs back in less than a week. Everything looked great and was done just how I had asked. Their prices are really low and they said they matched competitor's prices. I searched around but I couldn't find any company that had better prices. I recommend Scan4less and give them 5 out of 5 stars because I got everything back sooner than they promised, the scans looked great (no visible dust or finger prints), their prices are less than half of some of the other companies, and their personal individualized service was first class.
    rage42082, Jul 13, 2013