    only takes 5min but to scan old photos that are different shapes, sizes
    and condition can take upto 5min per/photo.

    What would you suggest as a charge?

    Jaqian, Dec 30, 2005

  2. Jaqian wrote:

    > What would you suggest as a charge?

    Take a look around in your area and find out what others are charging.
    That is your starting point. I would expect that you will end up with two
    prices, one for straight scans and one for those that require work.

    For those that require work I would offer two prices, one for standard
    "automatic" fixes and one for custom repairs, and that one would be an
    hourly charge.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Dec 30, 2005

  3. Jaqian

    Jaqian Guest

    There is no other service. Before I went into the expense of buying the
    scanner etc I looked into someone else scaning them for me I couldn't
    find any scanning service in Dublin apart from some corporate services
    like SoftCo. I shudder to think what they'd charge and beside they're
    mainly OCR scanning.

    Jaqian, Dec 30, 2005
  4. Jaqian wrote:
    > There is no other service. Before I went into the expense of buying
    > the scanner etc I looked into someone else scaning them for me I
    > couldn't find any scanning service in Dublin apart from some
    > corporate services like SoftCo. I shudder to think what they'd charge
    > and beside they're mainly OCR scanning.

    Interesting. I know a little place in Dun Laoglaire that used to do it,
    but I have not been there for several years. I suspect that some camera
    shops or office copy centers offer the service. It may be that your real
    opportunity is in getting the word out that you offer the service.

    As for price, I suggest you can start by deciding how much you need to
    make it worth your time. Be sure to add in all the overhead cost and a true
    estimate of the amount of time it will cost you including not only the
    actual work, but the time spent with the customer and sales cost etc.
    Advertising may be a big expense if you are going to keep busy.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Dec 30, 2005
  5. Jaqian

    tomm42 Guest

    Check pro labs and you will really shutter at the prices. Here it is
    $25 and up for single documents, $35 for large transparencies. Joseph
    is right you should charge different prices.
    1. A simple scan
    2. Scan with some automatic fixes, up to 1 hour of work
    3. Hourly work on a picture.

    How are you going to get your name out?
    Did this a while back, thorough a camera shop, found that clients
    either loved the work or hated it. Had one customer with a very faded
    picture of her mother, color was awful, I got the mother looking
    presentable, the plant and the table she was next to looking good, Had
    no idea what the wood panneling in the background was so I just added
    some saturation, I thought for what I received it looked great. The
    client comes by and refuses to pay because the panneling was the wrong
    color, THEN says she wants the print anyway (without paying for it) to
    show her husband how bad it was. Wasn't going to fall for that, then
    she says she'll call her cousin the police chief and tell him I ripped
    her off (hadn't paid a thing). I luckily had just done a job for her
    cousin that he had liked very much. So be on guard.

    good luck
    Tom

    tomm42, Dec 30, 2005