    to try to recover them in a form that can be viewed?

    Thanks
    Mike

    MikeM, Oct 25, 2005

  2. MikeM

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>,
    ..au says...

    >A few days after I tried my first digital camera my computer crashed.
    >The shots from that day were not yet backed up, but I thought they
    >would be ok because they were on a separate HD. They are still there
    >but none of my programs can read the files. Is there anything I can do
    >to try to recover them in a form that can be viewed?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Mike

    Mike,

    A little more detail might help. What OS, what file format on this separate
    HDD (NTFS, Fat32, other?), what format are the files in, and what programs do
    you have at your disposal?

    As you state, you SHOULD be able to extract/view the files on the other HDD.
    Might just be a matter of having the right program.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Oct 25, 2005

  3. MikeM

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 23:26:02 GMT, MikeM <> wrote:

    >A few days after I tried my first digital camera my computer crashed.
    >The shots from that day were not yet backed up, but I thought they
    >would be ok because they were on a separate HD. They are still there
    >but none of my programs can read the files. Is there anything I can do
    >to try to recover them in a form that can be viewed?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Mike

    First - DON'T write to that disk!

    Get the program Isobuster and try to read the files... it will search the
    drive or disc for any file it can find.

    It won't restore until you buy it (about $30) but you will be able to see if it
    recovered anything you wanted...

    I used it on a deleted CDRW that no other program could recover, and it found
    4000 pictures!

    Bob, Oct 25, 2005
  4. MikeM

    MikeM Guest

    W2k at time of crash, XP pro after replacing the mother board. NTFS,
    now used as USB drive. Mostly JJGs and a few quicktimes. I tried
    opwning them with PSE 3, Photo Impression, Thumbs Plus and KeyView
    Pro.

    Mike

    MikeM, Oct 25, 2005
  5. MikeM

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>,
    ..au says...

    >W2k at time of crash, XP pro after replacing the mother board. NTFS,
    >now used as USB drive. Mostly JJGs and a few quicktimes. I tried
    >opwning them with PSE 3, Photo Impression, Thumbs Plus and KeyView
    >Pro.
    >
    >Mike
    >
    >On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 23:26:02 GMT, MikeM <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>A few days after I tried my first digital camera my computer crashed.
    >>The shots from that day were not yet backed up, but I thought they
    >>would be ok because they were on a separate HD. They are still there
    >>but none of my programs can read the files. Is there anything I can do
    >>to try to recover them in a form that can be viewed?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Mike

    OK, sounds like you have already tried some of the programs, that I was going
    to suggest without luck.

    Question: do you see files on the disk in WinExplorer? Are they showing with
    their file extensions (check View>Show File Extensions, incase it is not
    checked)? If yes, then you are most of the way home. If the disk shows empty,
    then several recovery programs are possibilities. I've never tried Isobuster
    (mentioned earlier, but will get a copy and keep it around), but a Google
    Search should yield a ton of these. I've used SanDisk's Rescue Pro (designed
    for CF, and similar, media, but will work on HDDs, as well in Pro ver). I've
    also had good recovery luck at machine-level with Gibson Research's SpinRite,
    even when nothing else could see the files.

    If you have the files visible, but they will not open, immediately copy them
    to another drive/device. Once safely copied, began working with the copies
    with some of the "rescue" programs.

    As stated earlier - DO NOT WRITE TO THE DISK, or run any utilities on it,
    until you have exhausted all other means. If you get a good copy, running
    Norton on that directory (folder) of "copies," might correct errors. This
    would be a last resort on your HDD with the images on it - only after you have
    done all else.

    Good luck, and let us know if you stumble on a program that does it all for
    you. As I said, there are dozens, and each of us can't try them all. I learned
    about Isobuster from this thread, and hope to learn some more.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Oct 25, 2005
  6. "MikeM" <> wrote in message
    > W2k at time of crash, XP pro after replacing the mother board. NTFS,
    > now used as USB drive. Mostly JJGs and a few quicktimes. I tried
    > opwning them with PSE 3, Photo Impression, Thumbs Plus and KeyView
    > Pro.
    >
    > Mike

    Sounds almost like a virus wiped them out but left the file names. Try
    moving one somehow to a different PC, via email or ??

    Dave R knows who, Oct 25, 2005
  7. MikeM

    MikeM Guest

    Explorer gives them the correct names and JPEG extensions. Some of the
    error messages I got with the various programs were <unknown
    format><JPG file has (unknown tag?)><either unrecognised format or
    file cirrupt>.

    Mike

    MikeM, Oct 26, 2005