    2 reliable
    3 low running costs

    --
    chrisu, Oct 9, 2006

  2. chrisu

    Pete D Guest

    "chrisu" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
    > good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
    > ink cartridges.
    >
    > does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras are
    > all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).
    >
    > Priorities
    > 1 Quality
    > 2 reliable
    > 3 low running costs
    >
    > --

    Canon IP5200 or IP4200, I have an IP5200R (has ethernet and wireless as
    well) and does excellent prints.
    Pete D, Oct 9, 2006

  3. chrisu

    Bigguy Guest

    Canon Pixma iP5200 and similar - excellent quality, very good for inks.

    Guy

    Bigguy, Oct 9, 2006
  4. chrisu

    tomm42 Guest

    On Oct 9, 7:09 am, chrisu <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
    > good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
    > ink cartridges.
    >
    > does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras
    > are all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).
    >
    > Priorities
    > 1 Quality
    > 2 reliable
    > 3 low running costs

    You didn't say what size printer you need. I have been researching
    13x19 printers and the three that keep coming up for best quality
    prints are the Epson 2400, Epson R1800 and the HP B9180 (this printer
    has been out in reviews only so ink usage is a question). That said
    most photo printers guzzle inks, you just need alot of ink to do a
    photo where you have almost 100% coverage on a piece of paper. Most
    documents are in the range of 10-20% coverage. Best way to save on inks
    is to get a printer with ink tanks instead of replaceable cartridges
    that include some portion of the print head.
    The printers I have listed use pigment based inks, these inks are known
    for longevity, they have a life span longer than a chemical photo
    print. If you choose to buy a printer that uses dye based inks, as do
    most printers, you sacrifice print life, though by buying papers
    designed for dye inks you can get decent lifespan from the prints. This
    is mostly using the papers the manufacturer recommends, but certain
    papers like Ilford Gallerie Classic (only the classic) are designed to
    work with dye based printers.

    Tom
    tomm42, Oct 9, 2006
  5. chrisu

    POHB Guest

    chrisu wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
    > good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
    > ink cartridges.
    >
    > does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras
    > are all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).

    Upload your pictures to a photo printing site and get them printed on
    multi-thousand pound printers. The one I use will do 6x4 for 5p each
    and they usually arrive in the post the next day.
    POHB, Oct 9, 2006
  6. chrisu

    chrisu Guest

    POHB wrote:
    > chrisu wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
    >>good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
    >>ink cartridges.
    >>
    >>does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras
    >>are all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).

    > Upload your pictures to a photo printing site and get them printed on
    > multi-thousand pound printers. The one I use will do 6x4 for 5p each
    > and they usually arrive in the post the next day.

    good point - for bulk printing I may do just that.

    chrisu, Oct 9, 2006
  7. chrisu

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    chrisu <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
    > good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
    > ink cartridges.
    >
    > does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras
    > are all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).
    >
    > Priorities
    > 1 Quality
    > 2 reliable
    > 3 low running costs
    >
    > --

    What size images? What level of quality? Odds are, the lowest cost
    option to print photos is to have them done at one of the online
    services such as Snapfish, ofoto, or just Walgreen's, Costco, or Target.

    If you want to print your own archival quality images, the only way to
    go is Epson at this time.
    Shawn Hirn, Oct 9, 2006
  8. chrisu

    POHB Guest

    chrisu wrote:
    > good point - for bulk printing I may do just that.

    Why only for bulk printing?
    POHB, Oct 9, 2006
  9. chrisu

    THO Guest

    In article <>,
    chrisu <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
    > good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
    > ink cartridges.
    >
    > does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras
    > are all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).
    >
    > Priorities
    > 1 Quality
    > 2 reliable
    > 3 low running costs
    >
    > --

    What's your budget? What is your experience level with photography and
    what size prints do you want to make?
    THO, Oct 9, 2006
  10. chrisu

    chrisu Guest

    THO wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > chrisu <> wrote:
    >

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >>I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
    >>good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
    >>ink cartridges.
    >>
    >>does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras
    >>are all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).
    >>
    >>Priorities
    >>1 Quality
    >>2 reliable
    >>3 low running costs
    >>
    >>--

    > What's your budget? What is your experience level with photography and
    > what size prints do you want to make?

    all good questions - i should have been more specific.

    budget £100s (but not too many) and not £1000s

    proficient amateur - long experience with digital and photoshop etc

    A4 big enough - if I want bigger I'll get it done professionally.

    having read some reviews the canon 5200 is looking likely but i'm open
    to suggestions.

    regards.........Chris
    --
    1976 Z900, 1980 Z1R, 1973 Beamish suzuki, 1976 GT250, 2000 ZRX1200
    chrisu, Oct 9, 2006
  11. chrisu

    Pete D Guest

    "POHB" <> wrote in message
    > chrisu wrote:
    >> good point - for bulk printing I may do just that.

    > Why only for bulk printing?

    Where are you getting them done for 5p?
    Pete D, Oct 9, 2006
  12. chrisu

    frederick Guest

    Shawn Hirn wrote:
    <snip>

    > If you want to print your own archival quality images, the only way to
    > go is Epson at this time.

    HP and Canon dye ink printers on OEM papers can be archival.
    HP (B9180) Z2100/3100 series and Canon iPF5000 (& 9500 13" model to be
    released later this year / early 2007?) are archival pigment ink printers.

    There are now other ways to go.
    frederick, Oct 9, 2006
  13. chrisu

    Sheldon Guest

    Pete D wrote:
    > "POHB" wrote:
    > > chrisu wrote:
    > >> good point - for bulk printing I may do just that.

    > > Why only for bulk printing?
    > >

    > Where are you getting them done for 5p?

    I think Pete means like a couple dozen different prints, not a big
    bunch all the same. It doesn't pay to order just one or two prints but
    most of the e-photo shops have pretty good deals going all the time on
    roll equivalents.

    I have the Cannon Pixma ip400, it's great when I want a couple-three
    prints like right now but it does eat up ink (and can really be costly
    when experimenting with various sizes and edits), so for roll
    equivalents I send off to one of the e-photo shops like York, Snapfish,
    etal.
    Sheldon, Oct 9, 2006
  14. chrisu

    Pete D Guest

    "frederick" <> wrote in message
    > Shawn Hirn wrote:
    > <snip>
    >>
    >> If you want to print your own archival quality images, the only way to go
    >> is Epson at this time.

    > HP and Canon dye ink printers on OEM papers can be archival.
    > HP (B9180) Z2100/3100 series and Canon iPF5000 (& 9500 13" model to be
    > released later this year / early 2007?) are archival pigment ink printers.
    >
    > There are now other ways to go.

    Yes both the IP4200 and IP5200 use the Chrome 100 inks.
    Pete D, Oct 9, 2006
  15. chrisu

    frederick Guest

    tomm42 wrote:
    > HP B9180 (this printer
    > has been out in reviews only so ink usage is a question).

    It uses ink at about the same rate/price per print as Epson.
    A user "OOB" experience is logged here:
    http://www.cliffaddy.com/b9180.html
    frederick, Oct 9, 2006
  16. chrisu

    Bill Crocker Guest

    "chrisu" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
    > good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
    > ink cartridges.
    >
    > does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras are
    > all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).
    >
    > Priorities
    > 1 Quality
    > 2 reliable
    > 3 low running costs
    >
    > --

    Consider Canon's PIXMA iP6600D.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=117&modelid=11864

    Bill Crocker
    Bill Crocker, Oct 10, 2006
  17. chrisu

    Pete D Guest

    "Bill Crocker" <> wrote in message

    > "chrisu" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
    >> good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
    >> ink cartridges.
    >>
    >> does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras
    >> are all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).
    >>
    >> Priorities
    >> 1 Quality
    >> 2 reliable
    >> 3 low running costs
    >>
    >> --

    > Consider Canon's PIXMA iP6600D.
    > http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=117&modelid=11864
    >
    > Bill Crocker

    Does the 6600D use achival inks?
    Pete D, Oct 10, 2006
  18. >>Upload your pictures to a photo printing site and get them printed on
    >>multi-thousand pound printers. The one I use will do 6x4 for 5p each
    >>and they usually arrive in the post the next day.

    I did a birthday tea for my kid sister on Sunday and was able to send her
    home with a wadge of photos to show her friends that evening. Sometimes
    home printing wins whatever the economics.

    I add my vote to those who go with the Canon Pixma range. Admittedly I've
    not really given the competition a chance having only ever owned a Canon
    (I'm on my second one) but I've never had cause to wish I owned a different
    brand. I chose it for economy of consumables. I don't use OEM print
    cartridges because I am perfectly satisfied with the results I get from
    unbranded ones and I can get a complete set of refills (that's three colour
    and two blacks) for under 12 UK pounds.

    Keith
    Keith Sheppard, Oct 10, 2006
  19. chrisu

    POHB Guest

    Pete D wrote:

    > Where are you getting them done for 5p?

    OK, they only do them at 5p for runs of 500 or more, but I am getting
    them for 7p each even for tiny runs by pre-purchasing credits at
    photobox
    POHB, Oct 10, 2006
  20. chrisu

    chrisu Guest

    Pete D wrote:
    > "chrisu" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have a 'so called' photo quality lexmark printer but it really isn't
    >>good enough for the photos I want to produce and it eats very expensive
    >>ink cartridges.
    >>
    >>does anyone have any recommendations on suitable alternatives. Cameras are
    >>all canon if that makes any difference (I would hope not).
    >>
    >>Priorities
    >>1 Quality
    >>2 reliable
    >>3 low running costs
    >>
    >>--

    > Canon IP5200 or IP4200, I have an IP5200R (has ethernet and wireless as
    > well) and does excellent prints.

    bought
    set up
    nice quality
    thanks

    --
    1976 Z900, 1980 Z1R, 1973 Beamish suzuki, 1976 GT250, 2000 ZRX1200
    chrisu, Oct 11, 2006