Photo Processing Lab?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Just Me!, Feb 1, 2007.

  1. Just Me!

    Just Me! Guest

    HI,

    I have used a number of photo labs in my area, and I don't feel I am getting
    very consistant results. A couple labs will produce really supperior prints
    at times, and other times they are just not as good.

    I am ready to try sending some photos to a lab out of the area, I am looking
    for some suggestions on labs that will produce high quality, consistant
    results for my prints. I am intrested in a lab that also has some of the
    high contrast metalic papers (like endura or something similar).

    Can anyone suggest any labs that I should give a try to?

    One other question, how much difference does the paper that a lab uses make
    in the end result, vs there equiptment, vs the training of the operator that
    is printing the photo.

    Thanks!!

    Jd

    Just Me!, Feb 1, 2007

  2. Just Me!

    Guest

    On Feb 1, 11:14 pm, "Just Me!" <> wrote:
    > HI,
    >
    > I have used a number of photo labs in my area, and I don't feel I am getting
    > very consistant results. A couple labs will produce really supperior prints
    > at times, and other times they are just not as good.
    >
    > I am ready to try sending some photos to a lab out of the area, I am looking
    > for some suggestions on labs that will produce high quality, consistant
    > results for my prints. I am intrested in a lab that also has some of the
    > high contrast metalic papers (like endura or something similar).
    >
    > Can anyone suggest any labs that I should give a try to?
    >
    > One other question, how much difference does the paper that a lab uses make
    > in the end result, vs there equiptment, vs the training of the operator that
    > is printing the photo.
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    > Jd

    hey i worked in a mini photo lab... part time.. and im a photography
    student as well and i can tell you for a fact...
    that all machines, all chemicals and all papers produce very different
    results.
    if the machines arent calibrated properly they can come out looking
    like pants!!
    Change in chemicals and change in temperature can effect the print...
    everything counts

    my best advice is to go to a profesional printers..they are costly but
    if you dont mind the cost then
    they produce the best results.
    As for normal photo labs.. try one via the online... http://
    www.photobox.com do excellent prints... and post quickly.
    i actually ordered a few books and big gigantic prints off them. they
    were great
    Hope that helped :)

    , Feb 2, 2007

  3. "Just Me!" <> writes:

    > HI,
    >
    > I have used a number of photo labs in my area, and I don't feel I am getting
    > very consistant results. A couple labs will produce really supperior prints
    > at times, and other times they are just not as good.
    >
    > I am ready to try sending some photos to a lab out of the area, I am looking
    > for some suggestions on labs that will produce high quality, consistant
    > results for my prints. I am intrested in a lab that also has some of the
    > high contrast metalic papers (like endura or something similar).
    >
    > Can anyone suggest any labs that I should give a try to?

    http://www.mpix.com

    Others are cheaper, but mpix has never disappointed me with regular prints.

    > One other question, how much difference does the paper that a lab uses make
    > in the end result, vs there equiptment, vs the training of the operator that
    > is printing the photo.

    Quite a bit. I used to get prints done at Walmart, until they changed the
    parameters of the machine which upped the saturation and lost the shadow
    details. About at that time, the senior staff (that I knew on sight) started
    disappearing, being replaced by the minimimum wage teen ager who likely was
    sweeping the floor the day before. So I stopped going there, and printed
    either at home on my HP printers (using Ilford Classic Pearl paper), or sent
    out to mpix.com.

    Also, before Walmart went downhill, I had a chance to try Walgreen's photos,
    and both companies used the same printer (Fuji Frontier), but the Walmart
    prints at the time were so much better than Walgreens due to the paper used
    (Walmart at the time used Fuji crystal archive, and Walgreens used something
    else).

    During the 70's when I shot film, I tended to like the colors of the Fuji
    process (slightly more blue/green than the red/brown of Kodak). When I
    switched to digital, I liked the output of the Fuji printers until I discovered
    mpix. Mpix is the first Kodak prints that I have liked in a long time.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Feb 2, 2007
  4. Just Me!

    Skip Guest

    "Just Me!" <> wrote in message
    > HI,
    >
    > I have used a number of photo labs in my area, and I don't feel I am
    > getting very consistant results. A couple labs will produce really
    > supperior prints at times, and other times they are just not as good.
    >
    > I am ready to try sending some photos to a lab out of the area, I am
    > looking for some suggestions on labs that will produce high quality,
    > consistant results for my prints. I am intrested in a lab that also has
    > some of the high contrast metalic papers (like endura or something
    > similar).
    >
    > Can anyone suggest any labs that I should give a try to?
    >
    > One other question, how much difference does the paper that a lab uses
    > make in the end result, vs there equiptment, vs the training of the
    > operator that is printing the photo.
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    > Jd

    We've used Mpix.com and White House Custom Color (whcc.com) and been very
    satisfied with both. Both offer the metallic paper you mention, and,
    indeed, it looks great. Both labs also offer true black and white printing,
    in the case of Mpix, on Ilford Multigrade black and white paper. Both are
    reasonably priced and fast.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip, Feb 2, 2007
  5. Just Me!

    Just Me! Guest

    > my best advice is to go to a profesional printers..they are costly but

    Any suggestions on how you tell if someone is really a "professional
    printer"? I know that there are walgreens / walmarts that I do not consider
    professional at all. There are a number of local camera stores / small
    photo studios that print photos in my area and if I asked them, I would
    guess that most of them would tell me they are professional labs. However,
    there results between the labs, and between the lab technicials do vary
    quite a bit...

    I would pay more for a lot of my photos if the quality was there and they
    were done consistantly..

    thanks

    jd

    Just Me!, Feb 3, 2007
  6. Just Me!

    Just Me! Guest

    > Quite a bit. I used to get prints done at Walmart, until they changed the
    > parameters of the machine which upped the saturation and lost the shadow
    > details. About at that time, the senior staff (that I knew on sight)
    > started

    I have to agree with this. I used to be more impressed with walmart prints
    than I have been recently. In recent processing with walmart, I have been
    very disapointed with there prints. There has not been much density or
    saturation to the photos.

    > disappearing, being replaced by the minimimum wage teen ager who likely
    > was
    > sweeping the floor the day before. So I stopped going there, and printed
    > either at home on my HP printers (using Ilford Classic Pearl paper), or
    > sent
    > out to mpix.com.

    Thanks for the info. I have run across the Mpix site, and I though they
    looks like they might be worth trying. I am glad to hear that you have had
    good results with them.

    > Also, before Walmart went downhill, I had a chance to try Walgreen's
    > photos,
    > and both companies used the same printer (Fuji Frontier), but the Walmart

    The few times I have used walgreens in recent years, the results have been
    disapointing.

    > prints at the time were so much better than Walgreens due to the paper
    > used
    > (Walmart at the time used Fuji crystal archive, and Walgreens used
    > something
    > else).
    >
    > During the 70's when I shot film, I tended to like the colors of the Fuji
    > process (slightly more blue/green than the red/brown of Kodak). When I
    > switched to digital, I liked the output of the Fuji printers until I
    > discovered
    > mpix. Mpix is the first Kodak prints that I have liked in a long time.

    That makes scenes, kodak has always tended to be warmer with there film and
    fuji seems to be cooler, sharper and more accurate.

    Thanks,

    Just Me!, Feb 3, 2007
  7. Just Me!

    Just Me! Guest

    Thanks Skip.

    Just Me!, Feb 3, 2007
  8. In article <G%Swh.24491$>,
    "Just Me!" <> wrote:

    > > my best advice is to go to a profesional printers..they are costly but

    > Any suggestions on how you tell if someone is really a "professional
    > printer"?

    They charge more than $5 for an 8x10.
    Seriously though there is strikingly less knowledge all the time
    regarding printing, I learned long ago to do it myself wet darkroom and
    and all -and i just laugh at the feudal attempts to save money and get
    "Professional results"

    --
    Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
    a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere

    Little Green Eyed Dragon, Feb 3, 2007
  9. Just Me!

    George Kerby Guest

    On 2/2/07 9:07 PM, in article
    G%Swh.24491$, "Just Me!"
    <> wrote:

    > Any suggestions on how you tell if someone is really a "professional
    > printer"? I know that there are walgreens / walmarts that I do not consider
    > professional at all. There are a number of local camera stores / small
    > photo studios that print photos in my area and if I asked them, I would
    > guess that most of them would tell me they are professional labs. However,
    > there results between the labs, and between the lab technicials do vary
    > quite a bit...
    >
    > I would pay more for a lot of my photos if the quality was there and they
    > were done consistantly..

    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/resourceLocators/qLab/se
    arch.jhtml

    Or