Photo printing with Epson C84 -- what paper to use?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by me@privacy.net, Feb 23, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have an Epson C84, which prints well on plain paper. That's primarily
    what I use it for.

    But I was interested in printing some photos with it. I realize there
    are better printers for photos out there, but I was hoping avoid buying
    a new one.

    The first question is: is it possible to get good looking photos with
    this printer. The plain paper pictures look all right, but the thin
    paper isn't very impressive.

    I was hoping that better paper would give better results, and I was
    wondering was what the best paper to use with it.

    I bought some Kodak photo paper, but when I printed with it, the dark
    areas came out looking "cracked". That was no good. I guess the Epson
    DuraBrite ink is different than the ink that the Kodak paper expected.

    I'm not really sure what the difference is between the all the different
    kinds of paper. So what paper should I use?

    Please post replies to this newgroup -- replies to the e-mail address
    will not be read. (Stupid spammers!)

    , Feb 23, 2005

  2. Charles Guest

    We have been using Epson photo paper with the C82, C84 and other Epson
    printers and the results are outstanding.
    You will be pleasantly surprised.

    Charles
    ---

    Charles, Feb 23, 2005

  3. Guest

    While it is only a 4-colour printer, I think you will be impressed with
    it's performance on good paper. 6-colour printers have much smoother
    colours will less 'dithering', but at normal viewing distances you may
    be hard pressed to spot the difference. Stick to Epson (or Canon!)
    photo-quality paper - I like the premium photo and heavyweight matte
    personally, but then i use different printers...

    The `real` paper is quite competitively priced anway. Cheap papers
    commonly do not absorb the ink properly for some colours, leaving the
    cracked or bubbled effect. If the manufacturer claims that it will
    work on all printers, take it back and demand a refund (I'm a bit sick
    of the claims made by these papers!).

    About the only other paper that I have used with some success is Ilford
    Premium Photo Pearl. Other Ilfords exhibit the same problem to some
    extent, sadly.

    , Feb 23, 2005
  4. RobbH Guest

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 08:16:20 GMT, wrote:

    > I have an Epson C84, which prints well on plain paper. That's primarily
    > what I use it for.
    >
    > But I was interested in printing some photos with it. I realize there
    > are better printers for photos out there, but I was hoping avoid buying
    > a new one.

    I use Epson Matte Paper Heavyweight and occasionally Epson Double-Sided
    Matte Paper with this printer. It is reported to work well with Epson
    Photo Paper (a medium-gloss paper, not to be confused with Photo Quality
    Paper or Premium Glossy Photo Paper).

    While it is certainly not the best printer for photos, the results are more
    than satisfactory.

    RobbH, Feb 23, 2005

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Feb 23, 2005
  6. Yes, you can get quite nice photos from the Epson C84 printer.

    I suggest starting with Epson papers designed for this printer. There
    is a Durabrite ink paper for glossy, and a number of matte surface
    papers. This printer uses a pigment colorant ink, and most glossy
    papers are still designed for dye colorant inks. Epson enhances or
    heavy weight matte is nice for a matte surface, and glossy there is
    Durabrite and a few others. Epson has a list on their website for which
    papers and inks are compatible.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich, Feb 23, 2005
  7. measekite Guest

    If you want to test a particular printer the first test would be with
    the mfg ink and paper. Use epson ink and Epson Glossy Paper, their less
    expensive line.

    measekite, Feb 23, 2005
  8. Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Me,

    Since you are using Kodak paper, you may want to review the Kodak site for
    details on what settings might be best for your printer and Kodak paper.
    Kodak has gone to the trouble of testing most every printer on the market
    today, and then posting those settings on our web site. These settings
    should make a significant difference in your printing with Kodak paper. Try
    going to the following URL to get this data.

    Also, please note that if you use the Kodak EasyShare software it
    incorporates the OneTouch feature (settings for most printers and Kodak
    paper are included in the program). You can download the software for free
    on the Kodak site as well. Maximizes your printing with Kodak paper.

    http://www.kodak.com/go/onetouch

    http://www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw

    If you think I can help you with any printing questions etc. please let me
    know.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Feb 24, 2005
  9. Guest

    Thanks for all the replies! I'll check them out and see how it goes.

    , Feb 26, 2005
  10. Stanley Krute, Mar 27, 2005