    know which store you will pick them up at? Do you have to say on line
    which store you will go to or are you uploading your photos to the
    individual store?

    Rob, Mar 29, 2005

  2. Rob

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > For those like me that have photo inkjet printers (in my case canon
    > i850 and canon ip3000), do you think it's worth the cost of photo
    > paper / ink, to print my own 4x6 photos or is uploading digital photos
    > to a nearby walmart just as good in picture quality and more
    > economical (assume I go walmart regularly)?

    It's not so much the cost with me... I get snapshot sized
    4x6 and 5x7 prints done at commercial printers. Larger sizes,
    I do at home.

    I generally do batches of 12 or more snapshot sized prints.
    I find it's less work getting large quantities of perfect
    borderless prints done for me.

    If I'm doing just one or two of anything, or if I need it
    right away, I do it on my printer.

    I don't go to Walmart because I have a nearby drugstore
    that allows me to upload photos in the morning and then
    pick them up after lunch.

    Jim Townsend, Mar 29, 2005

  3. Rob

    Guest

    I've not use Wal-Mart but I have used Snap Fish, (www.snapfish.com).

    The site is free, you can store your photos there.
    You can edit them and then have prints made. $.19 for a 4x6. and they
    send them to you in the mail.
    check it out.

    , Mar 29, 2005
  4. The user interface for Wal-Mart sucks. It only handles a few shots at a
    time. It took me all night to get a large batch sent to them. I was able to
    send it to a Wal-Mart near my client and they were able to pick up the
    prints the next day for a trade show...though they did have to sign a paper
    that relieved Wal-Mart of any copyright issues as the photos were and
    appeared to me professional.

    My favorite site is www.dotphoto.com as they print better than most of us
    can do at home and far cheaper. I get 8x10s for $2 and they are delivered to
    my home in a few days. If you get a free commercial account you can have
    clients order their own prints and you can make a little money from the
    sale. You set your own prices. A new user interface makes it a nice visit
    for the casual viewer and there is another way in for the owner of the
    photos that adjusts how the page looks.

    Gene Palmiter, Mar 29, 2005
  5. Rob

    Doug Mitton Guest

    Rob wrote:

    >For those like me that have photo inkjet printers (in my case canon
    >i850 and canon ip3000), do you think it's worth the cost of photo
    >paper / ink, to print my own 4x6 photos or is uploading digital photos
    >to a nearby walmart just as good in picture quality and more
    >economical (assume I go walmart regularly)?
    >
    >And for anyone who did upload their photos to walmart.com, how do they
    >know which store you will pick them up at? Do you have to say on line
    >which store you will go to or are you uploading your photos to the
    >individual store?

    I found the upload page terrible so I burn mine to a CD-RW and just
    take them to the store ... an hour later I have my prints.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
    SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.

    Doug Mitton, Mar 29, 2005
  6. Rob

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > For those like me that have photo inkjet printers (in my case canon
    > i850 and canon ip3000), do you think it's worth the cost of photo
    > paper / ink, to print my own 4x6 photos or is uploading digital photos
    > to a nearby walmart just as good in picture quality and more
    > economical (assume I go walmart regularly)?
    >
    > And for anyone who did upload their photos to walmart.com, how do they
    > know which store you will pick them up at? Do you have to say on line
    > which store you will go to or are you uploading your photos to the
    > individual store?

    First, you select the store from a list generated by your answer to your
    location, usually your zip code. Second, you have NO way to tell if the
    photo printer at your local store is properly adjusted, maintained, and
    operated, until you try it. You might have a few prints made to test
    before submitting a lot for printing. Second, if you have a Sam's
    location nearby, they are cheaper there, but you will have to take the
    card (or a CD) into the store.
    Usually, the quality is better than you can get on an inkjet printer,
    and cheaper per picture as well, but the quality may vary from store to
    store.

    If I have more than 8 or 10 photos to be printed, I will carry the card
    down to Sam's.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Mar 29, 2005
  7. Rob

    mort Guest

    I print my own at home for three reasons:
    1) convenience
    2) I can improve the images, even without using a PC, via my HP 7960
    printer
    3) Using HP inks and Premium Plus paper, I get excellent quality + fade
    resistance.
    I doubt if these 19 or 29 cent printer outfits use premium printing
    papers.
    My actual ink plus paper costs per 4 x 6" print is about 30 cents. I do
    not take many casual or unimportant pictures, but I can understand why
    many people prefer inexpensive prints.

    Morton

    mort, Mar 30, 2005
  8. I use Walmart quite frequently to print snapshot 4x6 images using their
    website with the one hour pick up. This place drives me nuts, yet I continue
    to use them. I find the site to be horrible. As others have mentioned it's
    not well designed and uploading alot of images is a pain. The staff at the
    store is usually not real sharp either. It often takes them time to find my
    prints and once they lost them. The quality is okay and they use Fuji paper.
    I find the prints to be high contrast. I often remove contrast and lighten
    images before having them printed at Walmart. Sometimes I just have a few
    printed since there is no shipping cost and the store is near my house, it
    works for me. I'm getting annoyed with the site and the print quality so I
    just placed an order with Ofoto. I might go back with them.

    Brent Russell, Mar 30, 2005