    a photo place? All digital of course. I was wondering because I went to a
    ritz camera and the guy behind the counter said home photo printers aren't
    good enough yet and that getting them done there was the best way.
    ElectricWind, Sep 1, 2003

  2. "ElectricWind" <> wrote in message
    news:MjM4b.17565$...
    > Can a home photo printer look as good as getting it "professionally" done

    at
    > a photo place? All digital of course. I was wondering because I went to

    > ritz camera and the guy behind the counter said home photo printers aren't
    > good enough yet and that getting them done there was the best way.

    Naw, they are good enough. When you print, you have to follow some menu
    choices ... for example, Properties, Custom, Advanced and then pick
    intelligent choices for paper, dithering, microweave, dpi, color correction,
    etc. It does take a little experimentation to get the best results. Many
    folks just don't take enough time to learn how to use what they have. Some
    Epson printers, some Canon printers, some HP printers and others will
    produce awesome prints with photo quality paper. And you don't have to
    spend a lot of money on the printer (but the paper and ink might do you
    in!). Also, it takes time to print in high quality.
    Charles Schuler, Sep 1, 2003

  3. ElectricWind wrote:
    > Can a home photo printer look as good as getting it "professionally" done at
    > a photo place? All digital of course. I was wondering because I went to a
    > ritz camera and the guy behind the counter said home photo printers aren't
    > good enough yet and that getting them done there was the best way.

    Remember the sales drone at Ritz is there to get you to spend money at
    his store. Of course he is going to tell you that photo printers suck.

    Get a decent printer (Epson's are very nice) and print away.

    I shocked my daughter a couple weeks ago by having pictures of her and
    her boyfriend in the pool printed before she even got out. I was able
    to hand them very high quality 4x6 prints when they walked in the door.

    I also like that I can get immediate results from my printer and if I
    don't like something I can reprint it.

    That said, I still upload large batches to a place like ClubPhoto.com
    since printing 100 photos would take a while.
    Andrew McDonald, Sep 1, 2003
  4. "Andrew McDonald" <> wrote in message
    > I shocked my daughter a couple weeks ago by having pictures of her and
    > her boyfriend in the pool printed before she even got out.

    It's no big secret you are a digital fan so why would your daughter be
    shocked?
    She didn't know daddy was home? Hmmmmm
    mark_digital©, Sep 1, 2003
  5. "ElectricWind" <> wrote in message
    > Can a home photo printer look as good as getting it "professionally" done

    at
    > a photo place? All digital of course. I was wondering because I went to

    > ritz camera and the guy behind the counter said home photo printers aren't
    > good enough yet and that getting them done there was the best way.

    It may take awhile but yours will definitely look better.
    mark_digital©, Sep 1, 2003
  6. mark_digital© wrote:

    > "Andrew McDonald" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I shocked my daughter a couple weeks ago by having pictures of her and
    >>her boyfriend in the pool printed before she even got out.

    > It's no big secret you are a digital fan so why would your daughter be
    > shocked?
    > She didn't know daddy was home? Hmmmmm

    She was surprised that I could make prints and have them ready when she
    got out. She did not know I had a new printer.
    Andrew McDonald, Sep 1, 2003
  7. ElectricWind

    Guest Guest

    Re: Photo Printers EPSON 830

    EPSON 830 IS nice cheap and good

    did a couple of test prints
    dried them for 24hrs
    washed them under running tap water
    NO FADE, NOTHING CAME OUT

    3 months beside the window test and still looking good
    just make SURE you use only epson ink for this printer........

    Guest, Sep 2, 2003
  8. "ElectricWind" <> wrote in message
    > Can a home photo printer look as good as getting it "professionally" done

    at
    > a photo place? All digital of course. I was wondering because I went to

    > ritz camera and the guy behind the counter said home photo printers aren't
    > good enough yet and that getting them done there was the best way.

    The "professionals" at a place like the local Ritz would not be able or
    willing to take the care that you could in printing your pictures. There are
    two reasons for this: The image as it comes out of the camera is only
    approximately ready to print. You may well want to adjust aspects of the
    exposure and color. They will never take the time to do any of that, nor
    would they be capable or know how you want it. Secondly, if you have a great
    printer like my Canon i950, it can optimize the print in certain ways that
    just make it "pop" right off the page much better than if it were straight
    printed by some dumb mass printer. It's almost foolproof, whereas the
    results you get from any merchandiser will be variable at best. They are a
    good way to get a lot of proofs printed up at one time, but most of the time
    you don't need that. You can evaluate your images on the computer.

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Sep 2, 2003
  9. Hazy inkjet prints. (Was Re: Photo Printers)

    "Gary Eickmeier" <> writes:

    > Secondly, if you have a great printer like my Canon i950, it can
    > optimize the print in certain ways that just make it "pop" right off
    > the page much better than if it were straight printed by some dumb
    > mass printer. It's almost foolproof, whereas the results you get
    > from any merchandiser will be variable at best.

    Just bought a i850 last weekend, but so far the prints have been far
    from popping. Dull or hazy is probably a better word. I've found some
    color management tips on the web, but the prints still look hazy. My
    screen is not properly calibrated (Powerbook lcd screen.), so the
    color management thing may be pointless, but I think the main problem
    is that the blacks aren't black so contrast is lost.
    --
    -asbjxrn
    Asbjørn Bjørnstad, Sep 2, 2003
  10. Re: Hazy inkjet prints. (Was Re: Photo Printers)

    Todd Walker <> writes:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > "Gary Eickmeier" <> writes:
    > >
    > > > Secondly, if you have a great printer like my Canon i950, it can
    > > > optimize the print in certain ways that just make it "pop" right off
    > > > the page much better than if it were straight printed by some dumb
    > > > mass printer. It's almost foolproof, whereas the results you get
    > > > from any merchandiser will be variable at best.

    > > Just bought a i850 last weekend, but so far the prints have been far
    > > from popping. Dull or hazy is probably a better word. I've found some
    > > color management tips on the web, but the prints still look hazy. My
    > > screen is not properly calibrated (Powerbook lcd screen.), so the
    > > color management thing may be pointless, but I think the main problem
    > > is that the blacks aren't black so contrast is lost.
    > >

    > What kind of paper are you using with your i850? It is a fantastic
    > printer (I have the S820,) and should produce stunning results with the
    > right paper. For absolute best results, use Canon Photo Paper Pro. The
    > Office Depot premium high gloss photo paper works well also. If you like
    > matte, get the Red River Polar Placid 76 lb.

    So far I have used the Photo paper plus Gloss, but I just bought some
    photo paper pro that I will test. My first print did produce black
    blacks on the paper, though. But that print I had set the driver to
    "plain paper" and standard print which gave visible lines in the black
    areas. That problem disappeared with the correct paper and "fine
    photo" setting. But then I got this hazy print instead.

    I'll try plain paper/fine photo settings on the photo paper if the
    photo pro also gives the hazy output, it could be the best of both
    worlds. (Good blacks and no lines)
    --
    -asbjxrn
    Asbjørn Bjørnstad, Sep 2, 2003
  11. Re: Hazy inkjet prints. (Was Re: Photo Printers)

    "Asbjørn Bjørnstad" <> wrote in message

    > So far I have used the Photo paper plus Gloss, but I just bought some
    > photo paper pro that I will test. My first print did produce black
    > blacks on the paper, though. But that print I had set the driver to
    > "plain paper" and standard print which gave visible lines in the black
    > areas. That problem disappeared with the correct paper and "fine
    > photo" setting. But then I got this hazy print instead.
    >
    > I'll try plain paper/fine photo settings on the photo paper if the
    > photo pro also gives the hazy output, it could be the best of both
    > worlds. (Good blacks and no lines)

    The particular setting I am talking about is in the Effects tab, and is
    called Photo Optimizer Pro. It has the function of looking at the overall
    contrast in the image, and printing the darkest areas black and the whitest
    areas white - in an intelligent way. Use Photo Paper Pro with teh correct
    setting for it.

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Sep 3, 2003