    We're all pretty new to this so any help much appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Nick
    nrennie, Jan 4, 2005

  2. nrennie

    Chris Hope Guest

    nrennie wrote:

    > We want to buy a dedicated photo printer for the family to use.
    >
    > Any recommendations? What's good, what's not.
    >
    > Good shops to deal with?
    >
    > Good websites for info?
    >
    > We're all pretty new to this so any help much appreciated.

    I bought a Canon IP3000 about a month back. I was blown away by the
    quality of the pics from a $250 printer. Even printing on the not-so-
    glossy cheap DSE paper has been excellent (something like $15 for 50
    sheets - there's also HP paper for something $20 for 100 and it looks
    to be the same sort of quality). I'm not sure how many pics you can get
    out of the ink but so far I've done about 40 photos and about 50 cds
    and the levels don't seem to have gone down at all.

    Chris Hope, Jan 4, 2005

  3. On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:29:55 +1300, Chris Hope <>
    wrote:

    >nrennie wrote:
    >
    >> We want to buy a dedicated photo printer for the family to use.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations? What's good, what's not.
    >>
    >> Good shops to deal with?
    >>
    >> Good websites for info?
    >>
    >> We're all pretty new to this so any help much appreciated.

    >I bought a Canon IP3000 about a month back. I was blown away by the
    >quality of the pics from a $250 printer. Even printing on the not-so-
    >glossy cheap DSE paper has been excellent (something like $15 for 50
    >sheets - there's also HP paper for something $20 for 100 and it looks
    >to be the same sort of quality). I'm not sure how many pics you can get
    >out of the ink but so far I've done about 40 photos and about 50 cds
    >and the levels don't seem to have gone down at all.

    The EPSON R210 is far far better..
    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Jan 4, 2005
  4. nrennie

    Mark Guest

    >>I bought a Canon IP3000 about a month back. I was blown away by the
    >>quality of the pics from a $250 printer. Even printing on the not-so-
    >>glossy cheap DSE paper has been excellent (something like $15 for 50
    >>sheets - there's also HP paper for something $20 for 100 and it looks
    >>to be the same sort of quality). I'm not sure how many pics you can get
    >>out of the ink but so far I've done about 40 photos and about 50 cds
    >>and the levels don't seem to have gone down at all.

    >The EPSON R210 is far far better..

    Why?, saying something and not backing it with evidence up seems
    pointless?
    Mark, Jan 4, 2005
  5. On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 19:06:57 +1300, nrennie wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > We want to buy a dedicated photo printer for the family to use.
    >
    > Any recommendations? What's good, what's not.
    >
    > Good shops to deal with?
    >
    > Good websites for info?
    >
    > We're all pretty new to this so any help much appreciated.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Nick

    well if you are looking at hign-end then Tom's Hardware has a review

    http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20041229/index.html
    wogers nemesis, Jan 4, 2005
  6. On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:07:30 +1300, Mark <> wrote:

    >>>I bought a Canon IP3000 about a month back. I was blown away by the
    >>>quality of the pics from a $250 printer. Even printing on the not-so-
    >>>glossy cheap DSE paper has been excellent (something like $15 for 50
    >>>sheets - there's also HP paper for something $20 for 100 and it looks
    >>>to be the same sort of quality). I'm not sure how many pics you can get
    >>>out of the ink but so far I've done about 40 photos and about 50 cds
    >>>and the levels don't seem to have gone down at all.

    >>The EPSON R210 is far far better..
    >>

    >Why?, saying something and not backing it with evidence up seems
    >pointless?

    Has 6 colours for one thing a better life ink..
    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Jan 4, 2005
  7. nrennie

    MarkH Guest

    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au wrote in

    > On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:07:30 +1300, Mark <> wrote:
    >
    >>>The EPSON R210 is far far better..
    >>>

    >>Why?, saying something and not backing it with evidence up seems
    >>pointless?

    > Has 6 colours for one thing a better life ink..

    So does that mean that any printer with 7 or more colours is better again?

    How do you know that the ink life is an important consideration? Some
    people might be happy to reprint if the photo starts fading after 5 years.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)
    MarkH, Jan 4, 2005
  8. "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 19:06:57 +1300, nrennie wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> We want to buy a dedicated photo printer for the family to use.
    >> Any recommendations? What's good, what's not.
    >> Good shops to deal with?
    >> Good websites for info?
    >>
    >> Nick

    > well if you are looking at hign-end then Tom's Hardware has a review
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20041229/index.html

    I have not looked at the link. I have found cause to disagree with reviews
    in PC World New Zealand and other magazines. Some reviews appear to be
    written by people who do not use the stuff they review for themselves on a
    regular basis.

    I started using Canon printers, because they had the first colour inkjet
    printer that I could afford.

    I remained with them, because the print-heads are a user replaceable part.
    You buy the ink cartridges complete with head, or alone as inserts. A
    clogged print-head therefore does not need going to a service department.

    I now use the (discontinued) Canon S4500, which does support 6 ink
    cartridges. Although I am printing mostly photographs, I have gone back to
    four colours: Black, cyan, magenta, yellow. The greatest variation in the
    quality of my photos is due to the camera original and how I have processed
    it. The fact that it became difficult very quickly to get the dedicated
    photo-ink cartridges (replacing the black cartridge) suggests to me that
    other people have had the same experience.

    The Canon BJC-7100 is the only printer I own that died while I still had a
    use for it. Its inks are not water based, and the fumes from them corrode
    the internals of the machine. The ink sets for the S4500, and thereafter to
    my knowledge, are water based. They have better fade- and water resistance
    (after they have dried) than ink sets that I have used before them.

    But according to fade tests I have done, you still have to expect fading
    after a month of leaving prints in a sun-facing window.

    Henry
    Henry Falkner, Jan 4, 2005
  9. Henry Falkner said the following on 5/01/2005 9:46 a.m.:

    > "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 19:06:57 +1300, nrennie wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> We want to buy a dedicated photo printer for the family to use.
    >>> Any recommendations? What's good, what's not.
    >>> Good shops to deal with?
    >>> Good websites for info?
    >>>
    >>> Nick

    >> well if you are looking at hign-end then Tom's Hardware has a review
    >>
    >> http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20041229/index.html

    > I have not looked at the link. I have found cause to disagree with
    > reviews in PC World New Zealand and other magazines. Some reviews appear
    > to be written by people who do not use the stuff they review for
    > themselves on a regular basis.

    --snipped

    > But according to fade tests I have done, you still have to expect fading
    > after a month of leaving prints in a sun-facing window.
    >
    > Henry

    I love Canon Printers having an S400 that has done great service. The
    S400 is CMYK and when using the Photo paper and ink produces great
    photos. I have two A4 prints on the wall in fully sunlight (directly by
    window where the sun shines on them) they have been there for three
    years and no fade at all. The right paper and ink makes them very UV stable!

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups
    Collector»NZ, Jan 5, 2005
  10. On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:00:12 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    wrote:

    >Henry Falkner said the following on 5/01/2005 9:46 a.m.:
    >>
    >> "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message

    >>> well if you are looking at hign-end then Tom's Hardware has a review
    >>>
    >>> http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20041229/index.html

    >> I have not looked at the link. I have found cause to disagree with
    >> reviews in PC World New Zealand and other magazines. Some reviews appear
    >> to be written by people who do not use the stuff they review for
    >> themselves on a regular basis.

    >--snipped
    >>
    >> But according to fade tests I have done, you still have to expect fading
    >> after a month of leaving prints in a sun-facing window.
    >>
    >> Henry
    >>

    >I love Canon Printers having an S400 that has done great service. The
    >S400 is CMYK and when using the Photo paper and ink produces great
    >photos. I have two A4 prints on the wall in fully sunlight (directly by
    >window where the sun shines on them) they have been there for three
    >years and no fade at all. The right paper and ink makes them very UV stable!

    Canon are the worse for print life out of most of the Ink Jet printers..

    Go read in the Printer News group.
    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Jan 5, 2005
  11. On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:00:12 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    wrote:

    >Henry Falkner said the following on 5/01/2005 9:46 a.m.:
    >>
    >> "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message

    >>> well if you are looking at hign-end then Tom's Hardware has a review
    >>>
    >>> http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20041229/index.html

    >> I have not looked at the link. I have found cause to disagree with
    >> reviews in PC World New Zealand and other magazines. Some reviews appear
    >> to be written by people who do not use the stuff they review for
    >> themselves on a regular basis.

    >--snipped
    >>
    >> But according to fade tests I have done, you still have to expect fading
    >> after a month of leaving prints in a sun-facing window.
    >>
    >> Henry
    >>

    >I love Canon Printers having an S400 that has done great service. The
    >S400 is CMYK and when using the Photo paper and ink produces great
    >photos. I have two A4 prints on the wall in fully sunlight (directly by
    >window where the sun shines on them) they have been there for three
    >years and no fade at all. The right paper and ink makes them very UV stable!

    Canon are the worse for print life out of most of the Ink Jet printers..

    Go read in the Printer News group.

    Some more info

    Have a Big rethink..

    http://www.wilhelm-research.com/4x6/4x6_permanence_preview.html

    http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

    Seems that Dye Sub does not last..
    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Jan 5, 2005
  12. BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au said the following on 5/01/2005 5:37 p.m.:
    > On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:00:12 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Henry Falkner said the following on 5/01/2005 9:46 a.m.:
    >>
    >>>"wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message

    >>>I have not looked at the link. I have found cause to disagree with
    >>>reviews in PC World New Zealand and other magazines. Some reviews appear
    >>>to be written by people who do not use the stuff they review for
    >>>themselves on a regular basis.

    >>--snipped
    >>
    >>>But according to fade tests I have done, you still have to expect fading
    >>>after a month of leaving prints in a sun-facing window.
    >>>
    >>>Henry
    >>>

    >>I love Canon Printers having an S400 that has done great service. The
    >>S400 is CMYK and when using the Photo paper and ink produces great
    >>photos. I have two A4 prints on the wall in fully sunlight (directly by
    >>window where the sun shines on them) they have been there for three
    >>years and no fade at all. The right paper and ink makes them very UV stable!

    > Canon are the worse for print life out of most of the Ink Jet printers..
    >
    > Go read in the Printer News group.

    Hasnt been my experiance at all Woger. My wife and my wedding photos are
    stll great several (3) years after printing and mounting in full sunlite
    position.

    Collector»NZ, Jan 5, 2005
  13. On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 18:04:28 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    wrote:

    >BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au said the following on 5/01/2005 5:37 p.m.:
    >> On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:00:12 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>--snipped

    >>>I love Canon Printers having an S400 that has done great service. The
    >>>S400 is CMYK and when using the Photo paper and ink produces great
    >>>photos. I have two A4 prints on the wall in fully sunlight (directly by
    >>>window where the sun shines on them) they have been there for three
    >>>years and no fade at all. The right paper and ink makes them very UV stable!

    >> Canon are the worse for print life out of most of the Ink Jet printers..
    >>
    >> Go read in the Printer News group.
    >>

    >Hasnt been my experiance at all Woger. My wife and my wedding photos are
    >stll great several (3) years after printing and mounting in full sunlite
    >position.

    Read the article on Print Life that I have posted..

    And then Pray..
    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Jan 5, 2005
  14. BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au said the following on 5/01/2005 10:27 p.m.:
    > On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 18:04:28 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au said the following on 5/01/2005 5:37 p.m.:

    >>>Canon are the worse for print life out of most of the Ink Jet printers..
    >>>
    >>>Go read in the Printer News group.
    >>>

    >>Hasnt been my experiance at all Woger. My wife and my wedding photos are
    >>stll great several (3) years after printing and mounting in full sunlite
    >>position.

    > Read the article on Print Life that I have posted..
    >
    > And then Pray..

    No need to pray the photos have lasted 2 years longer than I expected so
    I am on a winner already. In fact they have lasted longer than an 8 x 10
    located beside them from a photo processor.
    I have found that if you get the right Ink/Paper combination results
    from canon printers are above average every time. Now having had a
    period of using Epson I cant say the same of them or perhaps I never
    found that dead right ink/Paper combination.

    All reviews and article either for or against a product have little
    value it is how it works for the individual. The only purpose reviews
    and articles serve is to provide Advertorial and anacdotal reports.

    Collector»NZ, Jan 5, 2005
  15. On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 22:48:20 +1300, Collector»NZ <>

    Sems to me you never read the article..
    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Jan 5, 2005
  16. BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au said the following on 5/01/2005 11:09 p.m.:
    > On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 22:48:20 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au said the following on 5/01/2005 10:27 p.m.:

    >>>Read the article on Print Life that I have posted..
    >>>
    >>>And then Pray..
    >>>

    >>No need to pray the photos have lasted 2 years longer than I expected so
    >>I am on a winner already. In fact they have lasted longer than an 8 x 10
    >>located beside them from a photo processor.
    >>I have found that if you get the right Ink/Paper combination results

    >>from canon printers are above average every time. Now having had a

    >>period of using Epson I cant say the same of them or perhaps I never
    >>found that dead right ink/Paper combination.
    >>
    >>All reviews and article either for or against a product have little
    >>value it is how it works for the individual. The only purpose reviews
    >>and articles serve is to provide Advertorial and anacdotal reports.

    > Sems to me you never read the article..

    Actually I did read the article, just i disagree with the results quoted
    since my own experiance is different, in fact i read most articles you
    quote and see many holes in them.

    Mine does what I want and has achieved better results than I reasonably
    expected so I am happy to say crap to results that are different and
    unqualified.

    Collector»NZ, Jan 5, 2005